Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 M90 supercharger

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by myron02, Apr 20, 2016.

1. myron02

myron02 Member

Canada
    2007 fx35
    Does anyone know if it's been successfully added on the VQ35 engine?
    I know Stillen is a small M62 and stage 1 doesn't come cooled and it makes ok hp at best. This base kit is also over 5000$.
    Would M90, with a custom manifold of course, and larger injectors and cooler temp spark plugs be possible? Those M90s from grandprix are dirt cheap.

Guys are using those on the J series honda motors but they are mounting them on TOP of the manifold so they are all sticking out of the hood. I know we can't do that on our engines so no hoods would have to be modified with a custom manifold.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. meme405

meme405 Premium Member Premium

Vancouver, BC
    2008 FX35
    Garages:
    If I was to go the supercharged route, the only kit I would look at is the Vortech V3. Given how much room there is in front of our engines there it would be the absolute best mounting solution.

3. OP
    OP
    myron02

myron02 Member

Canada
    2007 fx35
    Great system and lots of gains. Member on here has one installed. I am talking more of a slight boost in power, not looking for 400hp, or paying $6200 US.

4. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Atlanta, GA
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    If you want a Stillen, I'd just buy one used. They pop up somewhat regularly on the G/Z boards and are usually very cheap. They depreciate much more than Vortech setups or anything else for that matter because the power bump is very low relative to other choices. I've seen them average $2K USD.

How would you mount an M90? You'd have to build a custom manifold which is pretty much why the Stillen costs what it does.

5. OP
    OP
    myron02

myron02 Member

Canada
    2007 fx35
    exactly, you would have to build a custom manifold. I know the stillen is cheap used, but still the power comes from a smaller M62 which I think is tiny for this application. Unless you spend more money on it and go stage 4.
    I just thought that if manifold can be made for cheap, and I can design it and make drawings for it, and M90 Gen 3 is dirt cheap (200-300$), it would be a cheaper option to add a bit more power. It wouldn't be water/air cooler like the stage 2 stillen, but stage 1 stillen comes not cooled as well.
    It was just a thought, and I don't know much about this either. I tried googling about this but I got nothing.

6. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Atlanta, GA
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    I just don't think you can get the manifold done for cheap enough to make this feasible. If you just want a little bump in power, get the Stillen. It tops out at 350whp at Stage 4, but even the basic on you're still going to get a decent bump.

I don't think there is much of a market for a slightly improved Stillen. M90 is still going to have the top end issues of all Roots blowers. A custom manifold is going to cost a lot of money as it's somewhat complicated and you'd have to get parts cast which isn't something you can get done in small quantities. All that trouble and you may top out with just a little more power. Dimensionally, the blowers are the same size. M90 flows more, but then it also has more parasitic losses so I really think that your gains will be marginal.

If you wanted more power than a Stillen, get a Vortech. Or maybe get a rear mount turbo, those are cheap and would probably be relatively easy to install on an FX. If you want a small bump in power, just get the Stillen. Only advantage of an M90 is better flow on the top end. If you want that, get the Vortech.

You could probably make a one off manifold by hacking up a stock one and bolting the M90 to it. I just think the project wouldn't be worth what you've put into it.

7. OP
    OP
    myron02

myron02 Member

Canada
    2007 fx35
    you're right, it's all dependent on the manifold but I don't think you have to get a cast one made. Guys weld up manifolds all the time.
    But you're right, it would be a pain in the ass. I just asked if anyone has done it before.

Eh on the rear mount turbo, I drive in snow and ice and salt 5 months out of the year. That turbo wouldn't last very long

8. I've had the Stillen stage 3 and then stage 4 for several years and it has been very reliable and made good power for a street driven car. The only downside is the stillen add on timing/fuel box that just isn't optimized--runs too rich as in 10:1 when on full boost.

9. zebra555

zebra555 www.tuner-store.com V.Seller

Miami
    2004 Infiniti FX35 Supercharged
    Garages:
    ^get an UpRev tune instead!

10. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Chicago
    2003 FX45
    Andy
    Garages:
    :plus1: Zebra's Stillen Stage 4 runs really well with UpRev tune.

11. That how much more money on top of $5k kit? Another $1500 for injectors and tune?

12. zebra555

zebra555 www.tuner-store.com V.Seller

Miami
    2004 Infiniti FX35 Supercharged
    Garages:
    My tune was around $600 with UpRev License. Injectors are around $100, I think