Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

[OT] Loose Weight/Weight Lifting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LeBron23, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Anybody into weight lifting? I have been working my butt off since past couple of month and was wondering if we have some knowledgeable memebers who can help each others out :)
    And thought it would be nice if we can encourage each others since working out/loosing weight needs alot of dedication and PAIN!!! So far I have lost 28 lbs in 8 weeks. I have been eating properly, three meals a day cuz from what I heard starving diet is really bad for your health and you will eventually get your weight back in no time. So doing 40 mins cardio everyday...it is killing me but it does pay off. Anyone else want to loose some weight and build your body over the winter? I know Dr.2K is in good shape..right Humberto? LoL I know he plays alot of Golf so I'm sure that helps alot to maintain. Golf is fun.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Yah, I'm trying to lose some as well. But I'm not yet as deticated as you are....20min/day or other day....trainerken I need some help! ;)

3. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

I'm in the same boat...i need to get back into shape. i cancelled my gym membership a while ago (not worth 45 a month!) but my new house has a gym...i just need a bench and i can get to work...hopefully.

i hope to start by shedding about 15-20 lbs of fat and hopefully put on that much in muscle and get my cardio back up to what it used to be. after that ill just see how it goes. my sister is working part time which shes in school as a personal trainer so hopefully she can keep me in check (even if its from the other side of the country lol)

4. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    TrainerKEN will probably chime in as I believe he's a personal trainer. I've been weight training for years. For everyone it's different, but I'll give you what works for me.

I eat every two hours, small portions. You definitely do not want to starve yourself as your metabolism will slow down and go into "hibernation" mode. So you're totally right on that part. The reason I eat every two hours to is to get a constant flow of protein so my body gets used to it. I consume roughly 1-2 grams of protein per lb of body weight.

Cardio - I do this two times a week, for only 25 minutes. One time it's at a constant speed (7 mph) and then every minute, I change the speed to sprints, incline etc... This will totally boost your metabolism as you're going anaerobic to aerobic. This is my biggest tip to you. 25 minutes of variety running is far better than 40 minutes of constant running in terms of total calories burned. You might burn more calories in the 40 minutes, but if you take the entire day into account, your resting metabolism will be higher with the 25 minute variety run.

Work outs - I only do cardio 2 times a week because my workouts are intense enough to provide the cardio. I cross train and do situps or other exercises during my 30 second rest between sets and 1 minute rest between exercises. I find a 30-40 minute work out is more than sufficient.
    1) Chest Shoulders
    2) Back Bisceps
    3) Legs Triceps

Cardio in between. I also mix it up every 3 months but that is the basic structure. My key to weight training is negatives and having a good spotter. It's the reps you can't do that rip your muscles the best. If you're not sore the next day, you didn't work out hard enough.

I only take one supplement - Nature's Best® Perfect® Zero Carb Isopure™ - Creamy Vanilla. I can't eat enough protein if I tried, so gave in and drink protein shakes. Eating canned tuna or chicken breasts every two hours isn't fun and too time consuming.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134407&cp=2665513.2108294&parentPage=family

Another note, I definitely don't do no carbs. I devour bowls of rice at dinner and eat sushi every weekend.

Also, have a set goal in mind. Mine currently is to bench twice my body weight, only 15 lb more to go...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  5. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Here Lebron23, I'll write you a work out and you can try it out. Adjust it to your level of fitness, but I'll take a guess:
    Monday:
    Cardio
    Treadmill - 25 minutes.
    5 minute warm up at speed 6, 0 incline
    1 minute speed 7, 0 incline
    1 minute speed 7, 2 incline
    1 minute speed 5.5, 0 incline
    1 minute speed 8, 0 incline
    1 minute speed 6, 1 incline
    You get the idea, just be creative.

Tuesday:
    Chest/Shoulders
    Incline bench press with dumbells - warm up with 30lbs, do 10 reps.
    Do 15 situp/crunches
    Back to incline bench press with dumbbells - 45 lbs, do 10 reps
    Back to abs
    Back to bench - 60 lbs dumbbells do 8 reps
    Back to abs
    Back to Bench - 80 lbs dumbbells do 6 reps

Rest 1-3 minutes
    Go to flat bench - I like to keep my feet on the bench to keep my back from arching.
    Do the bar, warm up with plates (45lbs on each side) - 10 reps
    Rest 30 seconds, throw on a 25lb on each side - 10 reps
    Rest 30 seconds, throw on a 10lbs on each side - 6 reps
    Rest 30 seconds, throw on a 10 lb on each side - 3 reps
    Rest 30 seconds, throw on a 10 lb on each side - 3 negatives

Rest 1-3 minutes
    Decline
    Do the same, using the bar, throw abs back in.

Rest 1-3 minutes
    Go into dips 10-15 reps, 3 sets. Try weight dips, put a dumbbell between your legs or use a belt.

Finish off with shoulders.

Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - back/bisceps
    Friday - cardio - you can do your 40 minute run if you want.
    Sat - legs
    Sun - rest

6. Tkrtape3

Tkrtape3 Member

WorkOut

Yeah I'm in the same boat since I moved back from SanDiego and got married that dedication has been so tough.I use to be a gym rat but group motivation would be great.

Tkrtape

7. brown_fv

Maybe we should post our starting stats and have updates bi-weekly or something like that. that will be some motivation for me to go out and get a bench this weekend lol

8. Tkrtape3

Tkrtape3 Member

W/out

5'8 246 "Ding" like ESPN

Would like to getback down to 190 ish wrestling/football weight.

P.S Brown.. Good luck @Fantasy.

9. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

I gotta go do a couple clients right now... I'll chime in a little later...;)

10. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    This is so off track from the site :p . . . I need crossrails so I can get MTBR'ing again. Looking for a new set of wheels right now, cuz that's my cardio of choice. I'm in pretty good shape, & weight has never really been a problem for me. I dont spend much time, but 10 min a day at home doin stretch, curls, situps & pullups seems to do the trick.

11. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    I got nothing to say...:wub:

I am taking notes.;)

12. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    There is this guy in the gym that does just that. Situps, pullups, push ups, basically anything with his own body weight. And this guy is ripped. I've never seen him pick up a weight or do any machines, he must be doing something right.

13. Tkrtape3

Tkrtape3 Member

Herschel Walker swore to never lifting weights just pushups,dips and sit ups.
    Great genetics.

Tkrtape

14. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Wow, people want to get into shape! For me when I hit 30 I noticed my metabolism really went dipped low and at that time I ate everything so that didn't help. I have always worked out since high school and have always stayed active in sports, i.e., golf, softball, basketball, bike riding, etc...

But the number one formula that will help you loose the most weight is very simple. Burn more calories than you take in. This doesn't mean you have to grind yourself to death at the gym. During a normal day your body will burn about 2k calories and more with some gym time, but what I found to be the most helpful is to eat sensibly and cut out certain types of foods. Carbs is fine like Ed had mentioned but only in moderation. No soda, potato chips, processed sugars are key. And try and eat half the portion of your normal meals.

The rule is simple really...take in less calories then you are currently eating and you will loose weight. But for sustained weight loss and good overall health add cardio, weight training and a good diet. Splurging once a week for that craving is fine but also in moderation. Moderation in any diet is key.

I whole heartedly agree with Ed in that variety variety variety is key in weight training and in any exercise. Your muscles will become complacent once it learns the same weight training moves so keep them on their toes by changing up your routines and exercises every month.

I personally work out 3-4 times a week for 45min to an hour depending on my schedule. I cross train 2 days of those days and weight train the remainder. I'm not into heavy lifting and on my weight training day(s) I only do super sets of push-ups, chin-ups, cable-rows, lateral raises, curls and extensions for arms. But my cross training days are what really burn the fat and keeps me fit. Also, sit-ups are a must on every work out day. Now with these work out days mix in sports activity 2 times a week and this will keep you in shape for the long haul and not for 3-6 months a year. Good luck all and if anyone needs pointers let me know.

15. brown_fv

+10000 i remember when i used to go to the gym a lot of the people would just do one specific routine over and over again. after a while your muscles get too used to it and nothing happens...gotta change it up!

16. Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

17. brown_fv

I've been a member on that site for a long time...never actually posted but i got good information...helped me choose my protein powder before when i used to work out. a lot of the members on that site act like jerks to noobs though...i would say its more harsh than a noob on my350z getting flamed LOL

18. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

okay, sorry to be so late on this thread... I've been out and about all day with my Treo... and it's a pain in the ass to post long replies...

...anyway, like the Dr. said... the ol' burning more calories than you intake is really the way to go. But do NOT go too much under, cause your metabolism will actually slow down.

I really don't want to go too much into training right now... cause when it comes to how you train and what your goals are... it's relative from one person to another. I, personally... am, ol' school. I've been in the gym scene since 86'... that's over 20 years, I have had a lot of friends that competed (bodybuilding), two of them turned pro (they got their IFBB "Pro Card"), and at least a dozen more came close... but there were just too much competition and ass kissin' politics :rolleyes: I do that ol' 1 to 2 body parts a day, I train the heck out that body part(s) for about an hour and then I hit the cardio (I'm very VERY anal about where I keep my heart rate too, just look at my license plate "VO2 TEST"... google it... it's too much to explain). Now... do I train my clients the same way? NO... I train every single client accordingly to his/her needs... Don't all trainers do? NO, believe it or not... it's a rarity, most trainers now a day, train all their clients the same way from one to another... I can' stand it... I watch other trainers train 2 or 3 clients at the same time... first of all... how personal is that? Where's the "personal" in PERSONAL TRAINER when all 3 people are getting the same workout... unless all 3 people happens to have the exact same needs and are on the same level (ability), that's just NOT right.

Once a week... I do core training on myself... but I don't expect to gain any size from that, it's simply just that... "core". There's a lot of balancing, and you can't go heavy (thus, no size).

Remember in school? We all knew that kid that hardly ever crack the books but would get all A's? Well, I wasn't that kid. But I think we all know or knew someone that hardly ever have to workout or eat right and never gain a pound, unfortunately, I'm not that person either, and neither are most of the population.
    When it comes to reaching your goal... it's all how much effort YOU put in... To me, going to the gym and lefting weights is like going to class... cardio and diet are like doing your readings and papers... and anything you do outside of class. The more effort you put into doing all three... the sooner and better you'll get your results or reach your goal. Just like school... if you half-ass it, it will reflect on yor grades. Does that make sense?

Anyway, it' 1:30am.... and I have a 7am client... and I'm starting to ramble... so if there's anything I can help... just ask or pm me.

19. OP
    OP
    LeBron23

LeBron23 Member

WOW...great great infos guys...I wish everyone lived closer to each others so we can all go to the same gym and help each others out! That'd be wonderful.

Ok here's what I have been doing
    I've been eating Chicken Breast steak fillet(George Foreman grill baby!!), 5 Baby tomatoes, mixed salad, non-fat milk, and banana for every lunch and dinner. In the morning I usually eat Special K cereal with non-fat milk or 6~9 boiled egg(Only white) with non-fat milk and some fruits. I have been doing this for past 8 weeks(Oh I did eat normally two meals a week, whatever the heck I want! :)). I do full-body workout every Mon, Wed, Fri and do some cardio for 35~40 mins. Tuesday & Thursday I just do cardio or High Intensity Interval Training(1 min slow run 20~30sec Max run, repeat about 30 times.) And also taking Syntrax Nectar Protein Powder(Great stuff with 0 fat calories, taste awsome too!!)(Protein Powder is not a STEROID!!!) every morning and prior to sleep and of course after finishing each cardio session.
    What do you guys think? Should I eat more or eat less? My goal is to be around 147 lbs...right now I'm around 157 lbs(I'm 5'7" by the way 172cm)...I've been taking pictures of myself every Thursday and I see hugh difference in week one and week eight. But I'm just worried that I'm loosing too fast or eating less. Do I feel sick? NO. Dizzy? NO. but you know I'm not a professional trainer so I don't know if I'm doing it right or wrong. :)

And Q about sit-ups. How many sit-up is good for a day? Or Do I have to do it like weight-lifiting?? 12laps 3 sets something like that? or just do as many as I can?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  20. OP
    OP
    LeBron23

LeBron23 Member

Great Great infos Chedman, Thanks alot!! hmmm so it's better to do 25 minutes of variety running than doing 40 mins steady run...gotcha. So it is like HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) that I have been doing every Thursday. I basically do 1 min slow run, 20~30 sec full run and repeat about 30 times or more if I have more energy left.... Thanks for the tip!