Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX45 LMS Intake and Technosquare ECU Reflash

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by Dr.2K, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    This was originally posted on the org but I will repost the same message without linking to the thread.

This thread is for people who have or are planning on doing both the LMS intake and the Technosquare ECU reflash. I posted partial information on another thread but decided it needed a more thorough explanation. I have discovered the hard way( this is too long of a story in itself) that some precautions need to be addressed and some information known before deciding on these two mods. I am posting information that was discovered with some experimentation with Tadeshi at Technosquare.

We discovered when experimenting with one new stock '05 ecu and one modified(my original) TS ecu that having both of these mods at the same time without the necessary compensatory parameters in place will lend the '05 VK engine to run slightly on the lean side. I qualify this to the 2005 FX45 becasue that is what I have and do not know if the ecu on the 06 and later are the same, but I suspect that they are. Also, it should be made aware that the 03-04 FX45 ecu used a narrower 02/emmissions band then the 05-present(possibly) which uses a wider band. This can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it. But in my case it was a con.

In regards to the LMS intake for the FX45. If you have a 03-04 then installing the intake with or without the TS ecu reflash will be fine and probably a little better with the TS reflash performance wise. Also, if you have a 05 or later FX45 and have the stock ecu and have no plans on doing the TS reflash then installing the LMS intake will not be a problem.

However, if you have or plan on getting the TS ecu reflash I recommend telling them that you have the LMS intake (or if you have another aftermarket intake) so they can compensate for this. Because the VK tends run a bit lean with the combination of the two. But if you have just one or the other and not both at the same time it should be fine. If you plan on doing both in the future I suggest getting the LMS intake first and then the reflash with the necessary compensation for the intake. Tadeshi can make the necessary corrections but I do not know what the involved cost would be.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

ugh! I'm kinda embarrass to ask this... but what exactly do you guys mean when you say "running lean"?

and while I'm at it... what exactly is +2 bump?

3. Krayzie

Krayzie AĆ©rospatiale

running lean....too much air, not enough fuel. ill be more embarrassed if thats wrong:wub:

+2...advance the timming by 2

*thats not a very detailed explanation but i think someone else could do a better job than me

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  4. OP
    OP
    Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Ken, no dumb questions here and its only dumb if you don't ask. So don't ever worry about asking any type of questions.

Running lean basically means your engine is running with too much air and not enough fuel. The FX ecu always trys and maintains a 14.7 Air Fuel Ratio. For optimal performance. At the time when i was running lean I was at 17 AFR which was ridiculously high.

The +2 that we refer to is increasing the base timing(BDC) by +2 from the base of 12 for the stock FX45 to 14. There is extensive topics on this on the org. Heres one by one of our mods!

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9565&postdays=0&postorder=asc

5. dldavis

dldavis Member

I am a newbie here and I have a 2003 FX45 registered in California. Can anyone tell me if the TS ecu flash or the LMS intake are CARB certified??

6. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I know the LMS Intake is not.

7. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

but when I called them regarding this matter, they say they can do the smog check it for me when the time comes *hint* *hint*

dldavis, I think they may be out of all the intakes for the 03', I believe fourfifth bought the last one (I bought the 2nd to last). You might wanna call them and ask if/when they will get more in...

8. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Brings up an interesting one. Does that mean the Stillin CAI is not CARB legal either? & we've got to switch to the stock box for smog'ing?

9. f1fx

f1fx Member

i'm positive the stillen has a carb#, as stillen will not install if not carb legal.

part of the reason stillen stuff is $$$

10. OP
    OP
    Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Hmm...works fine for me.

11. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

so, by that... you mean getting smog'd wasn't a problem? (with LMS, LMS/TS reflash)

12. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I think he meant the link worked fine - cuz berto had just posted that the link didnt work for him - but I guess berto deleted his post.

13. OP
    OP
    Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Sorry for the confusion Ken, but yes Will is right Humberto deleted his post which my reply was in response to.

14. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

CARB is a touchy issue.

For you AWD guys, I think all they do is a visual inspection since most test places will not have the ability to test an AWD vehicle. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think that is the case.

15. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

okay, I'm almost done with my "mods-to-do" list...

...anyway, the +2 bump should be done before or after TS reflash, or does it matter?

...and where do I go for that? Some people say dealerships will sometimes do it for free... how would I approach them or hit'em up on this?

...is there a... more technical term to use when I ask for this?

16. OP
    OP
    Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Probably doing the +2 before the TS reflash would make more sense but I don't think it should matter too much if at all. I did my +2 after the TS reflash and it was fine.

Now getting the dealer to do and on top of that for free is not going to be easy and most will not know what you are talking about. Viet and Mark (f1fx) has a software program that can do this and I'm sure they wouldn't mind doing it for you at one of the meets. You can try and ask around at dealers and see what they say. You can ask if they can advance the BDC timing on your FX by +2. You can expect answers like 1) Umm....what are you asking?, 2) umm...that can't be done 3) That will require 1 hour of labor=$90.00 4) Let me talk to our tech and get back to you.

17. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're getting flashed, dont bother getting the timing adjustment at all. The +2 is just an adjust to the baseline timing. Which means you'll always start @ +2. Then with the crappy CA gas we have out here, as you increase the throttle, my belief is that the timing will retard back to baseline anyway so your motor will fire correctly. When you get flashed, they will adjust your A/F so it will work across the entire rpm range, & likely adjust your timing as they see fit.

18. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

I can wait and hit up Viet and Mark at one of the meets... but I don't think I can make the Santa Maria meet tho:shame:

19. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    BTW, Ken, Jeff @ Covina Nissan did the +2 for free as a coutesy when I had my nismo installed. I'm sure he would do it even if one just went in for an oil change. Takes a whole 5 minutes :err:

20. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

that's good to know, but is he parts/sales or service dept? I just got an oil change... (about 700 miles into it) maybe I'll get another before 3k miles;) The reason why I ask if he's in service or sales... cuz nowadays... they have to write EVERYTHING up... even to grab a mechanic to come over check out some minor issue that might take him 5 minutes... they want everything to be documented or something, at least that's how it was @ Infiniti of Santa Monica

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007