Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

License Plate Screw Just Turns and Turns and Won't Come Out

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by Mkozie, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Mkozie

Mkozie Member

Garages:
    I tried to replace my license plate the other day and one of the screws just kept on turning and turning without coming out. Took to the stealership to see what's up and they said that it's not worth the money to fix it. The nut or clip broke and they would have to take apart the rear hatch to replace it. Is there an easier way to do this? Or, is it that difficult to take the hatch apart? Thanks for the help.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. santiagodraco

santiagodraco Member

Car:
    2010 FX 50s
    Garages:
    If you can try sticking a flat head screw driver (or similar) under the edge of the screw while turning it. The idea is to be pulling out on the screw while you are unscrewing it, hopefully forcing the clip to stick against the wall and allow the screw to "unscrew".

Other than that you can use a dremel to grind off the head of the screw... but you're going to need to get the other end of the screw and broken clip out at some point anyway.

3. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Car:
    2003 FX45
    Name:
    Andy
    Garages:
    The nut has broke free from the hatch. You'll nee to drill it out and use a rubber well nut to secure your plate.
    RubberWellNut2.jpg
    RubberWellNut1.jpg
    RubberWellNut4.jpg
    RubberWellNut5.jpg RubberWellNut3.jpg

4. ocal21

ocal21 iS VIP iS VIP

Car:
    2012 FX35
    Name:
    Oscar
    Garages:
    Good luck with it, I had the same issue I took it to Infiniti and they ended up taking it off but now u can't put a screw on bc it will be too loose They told me to take it to a body shop and have them fix it

5. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Car:
    2003 FX45
    Name:
    Andy
    Garages:
    Why not give the rubber well nut a try. You can find them at Home Depot and local hardware stores. Just need to get the right size (3/8 inch, I think) depending on the drill bit you use to drill out the broken nut. Since the hatch is fiberglass, no rust to worry about.

You might want to pull the hatch interior off to take the broken off nut out once you drill it off; otherwise, it will roll around create this annoying rattle each time you open and close the hatch. Not sure about you, but it bothers me.

6. J3FF3R$0N

J3FF3R$0N She Needs Premium Dude ! Premium

Car:
    2004 FX35
    Name:
    Jeff
    Garages:
    Well nuts worked for mine aswell

7. ocal21

ocal21 iS VIP iS VIP

Car:
    2012 FX35
    Name:
    Oscar
    Garages:
    I might give that a try and see how it works, thanks

8. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Car:
    2003 FX45
    Name:
    Andy
    Garages:
    :tup: Glad it still holding out good for you. Mine still good from day one. Mann, this well nut talk reminds me of my early days here on IS when I can't even post a pic when you ask about this problem!

9. sully0105

sully0105 Member

I super glued mine and was able to get the screw out and back in again when I got my plate. It was a pain in the a** though.

10. OP
    OP
    Mkozie

Mkozie Member

Garages:
    Thanks everyone for the help. That was my first post and did not expect this many responses so soon. Ill give the nut a shot. I can just use the orig hole, eh? Just don't see why something that should be so easy ends up being so damned complicated. I have had a '94 Lexus that I was working on but that is out of my hands now so I get to spruce up my FX. Wife also has the G37 convertible which is a plus for my garage as well :D
    I think I'm going to start on the lighting first. Looking at the Nokya arctic yellow 2300k bulbs for my fog lights(good idea?), want a brighter DTRL, and trying to find an LED license plate light that's not too bright and "clean" looking- just about 1.5x brighter maybe. Don't want too much glare on my back-up cam at night. Also, any way to wire the DTRL to actually be constantly on without having to turn them on? (N. America). As a newb, I have probably asked too many questions in the wrong thread- I'll learn. Any and all support is great! Thanks again. :)

11. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Car:
    2003 FX45
    Name:
    Andy
    Garages:
  12. OP
    OP
    Mkozie

Mkozie Member

Garages:
    Thanks for the help

13. provels

provels Member

Car:
    2003 FX35
    I fixed mine which had also rusted together by drilling out the old and glueing in 2 stainless steel T-nuts (the ones without prongs) with marine epoxy. Used SS panhead Allen head screws to mount the plate. Got all at Ace Hardware.

14. OP
    OP
    Mkozie

Mkozie Member

Garages:
    The well nuts were a perfect choice. I went to the dealership to pick up a few parts for another project and asked them if anyone else experienced the same issue. Matter of fact, it's very common with the year range and I told them my fix and they were shocked. They had a priceless look on their face as if they had an encounter from an E.T. ...I did not take credit for it, I gave credit where credit was due.

15. TomXfiniti

TomXfiniti Member

Car:
    2011 FX 50s
    Name:
    Tom
    Since the entire hatch of my 2011 FX50s is plastic, I held my soldering gun on the metal insert until it got hot enough to melt the plastic. I pulled it right out using needle nosed pliers. A small bit on my Dremel tool was perfect to make the melted holes square. I installed the square plastic license plate inserts found at any auto parts store. Reinstalled the license plate. Worked perfectly!
    Since the plate was warped, and there are only the two top bolts, I used Velcro tape across the bottom to hold the plate flat on the car.

16. smijus

smijus Brat and Curd Aficionado Premium

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Justin
    Garages:
  17. Themechanic

Themechanic The World Is Yours Premium

Car:
    2014 qx70s
    Name:
    Edwin
    Garages:
    Me too id like to know the size of the well nut. Ive been driving my 06 fx with a broken screw for 2months now

18. Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Car:
    FX 37 rwd
    Name:
    Tom
    On the DTRL, look for the little eye near the windshield base, cover it with electric tape, turn your lights to automatic & voila, lights on every time you start the car.
    Or, buy a Canadian.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  19. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    I didn't know we were for sale!!! ;)

Pinstripe likes this.
  20. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Car:
    2003 FX45
    Name:
    Andy
    Garages:
    I don't remember what size well nut that I use. Just take the screw you plan to use to fasten the plate to the hardware store to match it up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.