Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

JWT on 35

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Boost, Track & Tuning' started by EG3, Nov 13, 2007.

1. EG3

EG3 Premium Member Premium

This question is for those who have the kit.. What modifications did you have to do to the jwt kit to get it fit? Any custom exhaust piping or just intake piping and oil lines etc?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Only AWARE of 3 JWT TT kits on FX35's... one in Texas (he's a member on the org), rookie here, and LeBron here who got rid of his built motor / JWT TT and swapped out with a 350Z.

3. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Im pretty sure with the JWT kit, like any other turbo kit of vortech, they would need to fab the piping to fit. i would guess they would need more piping to fit the intercooler.

thinking about going TT?

4. OP
    OP
    EG3

Depends on how much it'll cost really.. Don't want huge power and in fact if I get the JWT, will get it tuned lower than 400 hp probably.. I looked at the pics and it looks like the manifolds would bolt right up to the cats/test pipes without any or minimal modification.. Intercooler piping shouldn't be a problem really.. I have a source for low priced and mandrel bent piping..

My main concern is what else is needed to be done other than the intercooler piping? I'm thinking about a low boost condition with stock internals, walbro and higher cap injectors.. No mods to trans or any other stuff..

5. Frankiago

IL
    G35/350Z guys have been doin JWT TT on stock block for a while. Their limit seems to be between 400-450 rwhp before they're playing in dangerous waters... so high 300's (given our losses) would be a safe bet for your FX on stock internals, pending an amazing tune.

Our transmissions are pretty stout right out of the factory, and rarely do the 350Z/G35 guys beef up the 5AT when dealing with those kinds of numbers. Hope that helps...

I would say contact VRT about how they did the JWT on a couple FX's, but they're long out of business and being sued by EVERYBODY (even you, you just don't know it yet :p)

I tried getting a hold of them to get JUST turbo manifolds off them. Had a reply, but they stopped keeping up with it and never gave me a price. I'll try again.

6. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    IssaFX on the org who is also located in socal has the JWT kit, but it has been tweaked by GTM after the fallout with VRT.

7. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

So if we went with this single turbo system from Turbonetics claiming 400-450hp...

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/products/index.php?products_id=827&category_id=63

would we have to start messing with other things in our engine? Or could it just bolt up? It seems pretty simple. I havent heard of anyone yet who has gone with Turbonetics.

8. OP
    OP
    EG3

It's the same thing with JWT and all turbo kits for 350z/g35. Intercooler piping, injectors, fuel pump and a good tune with a good ECM.. If you go to the limits, as Cube said, you have to change your internals to run safe..

I'm about to get either a used TN kit with an upgraded watercooled turbo for $3000 (their stock ones have smoking issues) or a JWT kit with walbro for $4300. These prices are nice, I think, but I really don't want to spend another $2000-$3000 for installation and injectors pumps etc.. I got a deal on a new stillen installed about that price, really (minus the horrible noise).. If there's no need to mod the exhaust and the manifolds, then the installation should be down to $1000-1500

9. brown_fv

I was thinking about the turbonetics too a while ago and i was in contact with alex at VTR and we have long discussions.

the 400-450hp claims from turbonetics are at the crank i believe at not at the wheels. with the turbonetics kit and some bolt ons and a good tune some g35s have hit 400WHP with our AWD losses i would say we would hit 330-350whp.

i am now second guessing myself because going F/I is expensive. i might end up just doing all the bolt-ons and a tune (maybe Uprev) and if i still have the need for power i would go with the Vortech S/C. going wiith the vortech has been said to be a bit safer because it doesnt give you the TQ you would get from a turbo. then again, i might still want to run the turbonetics kit or maybe JWT but i want to stay on the stock block.

10. OP
    OP
    EG3

I saw a Vortech 350z 2 days ago.. It sounds like an exhaust pipe rubbing on the road even while it's cruising :) There's no way I can get used to that.. There's a group buy on g35driver on vortechs as well as used kits for sale every month if you're interested.. I think they go for around $4800 on the gb..

11. brown_fv

Thanks for the update on the price, but i cant afford F/I right now :frown: i was hoping some time next summer...but i guess we'll see if i really need more power after im done my bolt on's and EM/tune.

12. Frankiago

IL
    Correct. Either way you look at it, our stock block isn't good for more than 400-450 whp as trial and error has taught the my350z.com guys. I'm trying to get a hold of Turbonetics to try and get their exhaust piping and run a kit that would be near identical to the TN, except I would be providing UTEC, Precision Turbo (ball bearing T4 most likely), RC injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, and my own intercooler/piping/BOV/wastegate. It would essentially be a TN kit, just using various upgrades instead of their products.

I have goals for 400-450 awhp on my built motor. The power limit doesn't apply to my block anymore, but rather the torque stresses on my tranny :shame:

13. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

JWT has a kit for the FX. Dealers just need to ask for it. I've seen the install package for the FX and it's all pictures from my install. There are 2 pipe differences, and the FX kit is a mix and match of G35 and 350z pieces. 350z intercooler some G35 and 350z pipes vs using all of one or the other which would require more work on the install side of it.

Like others have said the 4 JWTs
    rookie done by JWT and VRT
    Lebron23 done by VRT
    Issafx done by VRT fixed by GTM
    The Texas FX done by SGP racing

Please note all these FXs are RWD. I've only seen 1 JWT kit put onto a AWD G35 and there were minor pipe or nipple changes to clear the transmission.

14. OP
    OP
    EG3

The FX kit from a dealer is out of the question for me due to costs..
    Do I have to change anything else (injectors, fuel pump, fuel system) to get this kit and get it running safely at max 350whp? My expectations are moderate at this point, really..

15. rookie

The differences are the passenger side pipe going down needs to be extended, driver side turbo out needs to be extended, the Z kit comes with a curvy pipe vs a straight pipe for intercooler out.

Main pieces should be fine if you are using the 350z intercooler.

Out of the box it should be fine for mid 300s. If you have a shop comfortable with the install the little hurdles shouldn't be too hard to get over.

Stock 530 kit comes with a 190lph pump, a 255 would be better to use. Stock rails and injectors are the norm. You can up the injectors without too much hassle. I have 5somethings and they idle fine after the ecu has learned the injector pulsing. First fire up after the ECU has been reset I get a pretty rich idle but it goes away.

16. da mayor

da mayor Member

if you really want to built a kit i went through it w/ my '06 G35 sedan w/ turbonetics single turbo kit.... i had to mix and match parts from a G coupe and Z kit -- pricing wasn't bad well worth it in the long run. i wanted to be different and stand out. trust me, i thought about doing a turbo on a FX35 AWD -- which you will lose some power but again an upgraded valve body and torque convertor will help you in traction issues

it's priceless when a 4 door family sedan beats up on big v8 muscle cars-- now let's see some FX's do the same
    DSC01671.jpg

Attached Files:

17. OP
    OP
    EG3

Kenny, what parts did you get from the kits, do you remember?

18. Frankiago

IL
    Hey Viet, quick question. What is the 700BB turbo's flange? What I'm trying to find out is what turbos will bolt up to the cast iron JWT TT manifolds. I've been trying to get a hold of people from JWT, they responded initially but never gave me an answer as to whether or not they can get me JUST the manifolds.

The turbos (530BB and 700BB) come with internal wastegates, which is something I do not want to use. So the downpipes are not compatible with the turbos I'll be getting, but I would like to know what the manifold side flange is, T3? T4? Something different? I do know that the ball bearing turbos they use are from Garrett, which is the same company I'll be getting my turbos from indirectly (Precision Turbos).

Errr now that I think about it... I would have to use internal wastegates b/c the manifolds they have aren't tapped for a wastegate flange... or do they have an external wastegate option for the JWT kit???

19. rookie

Same turbo set up as the APS TT kits. For the APS extreme I recall pictures of the wastegates being welded shut.

Here's the driverside manifold for the 700BB kit. The difference between the 530 and 700 manifolds is the driverside to clear the steering and motor mount components.
    motor_update_01.jpg

Attached Files:

20. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    ok, I have a question related to the tt's... if an aftermarket ecu is used, do all the creature comforts of the fx like milage calculators, distance to empty & everything still function? also, how is the tranny communication retained with an aftermarket ecu? also, is there such a thing as a stand alone tranny computer for our tranny? is an aftermarket ecu the best way to go, or is a piggyback type unit a better option? what exactly are the options there anyway... I've heard there are cheaper alternatives & better alternatives...

I'm waying the differences between a tt setup & a LS2 swap.. I think the ls2 swap would have definate communications problems & I'm researching all the posibilities & different scenarios & possibilities at this point.. not saying I'm going to do this swap, just exploring the possibilities & researching at this point...