Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Jumbo's Silver FX - 2nd custom build

Discussion in 'QX70 Chat' started by jumbosrule, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jumbosrule

jumbosrule Premium Member Premium

Redondo Beach, CA
    2003 FX35T
    Brad
    Garages:
    I bought my first FX in 2004 and loved every second of ownership. I took her through a full custom build - ending up with a built motor, built transmission, Haltech EFI, custom intercooled turbo, coilovers, BBK, etc. In December of 2011, I totaled that car on a wet road going 45mph. Only the body and radiators were damaged - all other goodies were salvaged and set aside to be part of my next project.

IMG_9062.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

Enter my 2003 Brilliant Silver FX35, after her first bath under my ownership.

IMG_3440.jpg

I thought this car deserves it's own thread. My plan is to rebuild the previous project with improvements. I already know what to expect from a performance standpoint - I'm going for efficiency changes. What didn't work for me or didnt sit well with me before is going to be revised this go around.

I settled with insurance and kept Big Red for salvage. First order of business was to completely swap out the Willow interior of the Silver FX for the black interior of Big Red. This included getting the driver's side seat reupholstered after the side airbag deployment.

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

Now that the interior is pretty much back to stock, I started on the "improvements". Really just little projects to give a little bit of originality to the interior.

The custom sub enclosure, JL 12" sub, JL amp, Epicenter bass processor and Optima Yellow top swapped over.

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

Matte vinyl wrap on the clock trim - I like this little mod, a lot.

IMG-20120816-00006.jpg

Leather wrap on the passenger side A-pillar

IMG-20120816-00007.jpg

Custom leather wrap on the gauge cluster - brand new as of yesterday.

IMG-20120816-00004.jpg

IMG-20120816-00003.jpg

BC coilovers, 20mm Ichiba Spacers, Stoptech BBK & GTSpec Strut Tower Brace Installed:

IMG_9305.jpg

Upper and lower billet grills installed, added the Infiniti badge after a week without it.

IMG_9427.jpg

And that's where she stands today. I have an all aluminum driveshaft on order - 27 lbs, down from 77 lbs from the OEM shaft. That and lighter wheels should give me a noticeable bump in power (all other things being equal). I am currently working with Powerfab to redesign the cold side of the turbo system. We are looking into custom radiators and intercoolers, custom mounting solutions, custom bumper bars... essentially planning the cold side from scratch rather than working with available space.

The motor and transmission from Big Red is waiting at the shop - Silver could go in for surgery before the end of this summer.

Attached Files:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. blueduck1105

blueduck1105 Premium Member Premium

Illinois
    Garages:
    Love the effort going into this! Keep it up

3. angryfx

angryfx Member

ny
    q5
    Garages:
    been waiting for this !!!!
    nice !!!!
    we'll see another legendary fx grow!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  4. MTN FX

MTN FX Mountain Man Premium

Big Bear City,Ca.
    2004 FX35 AWD
    John Green
    Garages:
    Wow that's quite the project , wish I was that motivated and had the time to tackle project that involved.

5. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    Awesome!

Seems like a mirrored upper plenum (inlet facing left) would be perfect for your cold side.

6. porkandbeans

porkandbeans iS Dutcher iS VIP

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    Today is good. I found a new favorite thread.
    The motor and trans will be a 'simple' straight swap, right? As in, you're not doing anything to silver's original motor and trans besides pulling them out?

7. OP
    OP
    jumbosrule

Redondo Beach, CA
    2003 FX35T
    Brad
    Garages:
    Forgot to mention that we also swapped over the rear sway bar from Big Red - which was purchased new for Big Red less than two years ago.

I'm actually thinking the cold side will stay entirely on the driver's side. To accomplish this, we've been looking at vertical flow intercoolers. It would be only half the width of the new radiator, leaving the passenger's side open for the oil & transmission coolers. Charged air would enter the bottom and come out the top on the driver's side - leaving the shortest possible route back to the Throttle Body for intercooled air. Turbo will stay mounted exactly where it was. The shroud and fan assembly we use will play a big part in how well this setup works.

There will be some minor hot side changes as well. Some of the exhuast did get hit in the accident so the current plan is to bolt up Big Red's exhaust onto Silver and then cut out any damaged/bent areas and weld in new pipe for a perfect fit. We noticed a crack in the exhaust manifold collector - where the two hotside banks merge into the up-pipe. That will be redesigned. Then it will all be ceramic coated before final install.

That's right. Silver's Motor, transmission & driveshaft are coming out. Big Red's motor and tranny plus the new aluminum driveshaft will be direct bolt in.

That's not to say I don't have tentative plans for Silver's driveline. The motor I will most likely try to sell but I'm not against keeping it as a back-up till I know what my future goals might look like. It's possible I build this spare motor and then look for a 350Z or G35 rolling shell to bring back to life.

I actually have two motors not currently being used; the built VQ35 from Big Red and the stock Miata motor that came out for a rebuilt swap. That's a cool statistic. I got motas.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. sir21

sir21 iS VIP iS VIP

PNW
    2005 Ford Excursion
    Garages:
    Gotta admire your persistance Brad. Keep up the good job

9. Dracula

Dracula Premium Member Premium

Hollywood, CA
    2004 FX35 RWD
    Andy
    Garages:
    looking forward to updates

10. matrixx860

matrixx860 Ghost Rider Premium

Wolcott, Ct.
    2012 Nissan Maxima SV
    Joey
    Garages:
    Looking good, Love the chrome O.E.M. rims!

11. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Coming along.
    The interior touches are great too. Good ideas

plans for SEMA? It's coming up

12. aiya

aiya First Genner iS VIP

NYC
    Garages:
    Glad to see Project 2 is going strong! :good:

13. OP
    OP
    jumbosrule

Redondo Beach, CA
    2003 FX35T
    Brad
    Garages:
    Since I have my A-pillar gauge pod installed, I thought I would start laying out all the gauge modules, Haltech and associated wiring. I started with a cardboard template and got everything placed before mounting to a board. This is going behind the glove box against the firewall. The Haltech will be going behind the side kick panel, in close proximity to this board.

The wiring is zip tied together, ready for routing.

IMG-20120916-00026.jpg

And the New ECU I got for Big Red (already licensed for UpRev & tuned to work with the Haltech) along with the Haltech, wiring harness, a couple of sensor cable runs and the Haltech dual wideband O2.

IMG-20120916-00027.jpg

Pretty sure if I get all this mounted, I will have saved myself the cost of a few hours of shop labor. I've also decided that any of the new wiring that needs to go through the firewall will be getting it's own firewall pass-through. Last time we shared the OEM firewall boot and there are just too many wires trying to use the same pathway. This time will be mo better.

Attached Files:

14. pafnucy

pafnucy Member

much better manual transmission with g35, 350z

15. Logan

Logan iS VIP iS VIP

Seattle
    Garages:
    ^ Yeah right?

Looking good Brad, keep the data and pictorial updates flowing. Enjoyed watching BR coming together, this ride will be no different with regards to viewership excitement!

16. OP
    OP
    jumbosrule

Redondo Beach, CA
    2003 FX35T
    Brad
    Garages:
    I'm just as excited as you guys - probably more!

As some of you might have noticed, I picked up a couple of braces from Tchuck. The front Engine tie in Big Red was destroyed in the wreck. While the brace was broken in half, I'm also convinced if that brace had NOT been there, there could have been damage to the motor.

The rear lateral brace survived the wreck unblemished and I never intalled a rear lower tie because I had the Stillen exhaust. This time, the exhaust is going to be full custom so I can use the braces.

You might remember Big Red had the Stoptech BBK with cross drilled rotors. Those are now on Silver and I will replace them before the turbo install. Just to have something a little different than before, these arrived today:

IMG-20121009-00040_zps1206b003.jpg

And last not because I'm not excited... but because it is sitting at Powerfab and won't be installed till the motor/turbo:

driveshaft_crop_zps17b83ea4.jpg

Custom Carbon fiber shaft, 27 lbs (as compared to the stock 77 lbs). And yes I'm excited about feeling that change in response the FX will get along with some lighter wheels. Still on the hunt for those - got some ideas... maybe even some tentative plans.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  17. aiya

aiya First Genner iS VIP

NYC
    Garages:
    Hot Damn! Looking good!

18. Logan

Logan iS VIP iS VIP

Seattle
    Garages:
    Nice shaft B!

19. porkandbeans

porkandbeans iS Dutcher iS VIP

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    With the parts and experience behind you, is this build 'easy'?
    Will Silver most likely be your daily driver?

20. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    Never seen a dude's shaft a liked more.

SfmDRuT2