Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

How Cold is 2 Cold For FI???

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Boost, Track & Tuning' started by Keemo, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

So, we all know that cold air allows the engine to breath better with positive results. But how cold is too cold for a set up like a TT or Superchager???

You see, I live in Edmonton with the Huskies and Sleighs that were mentioned in a previous post ;) and in winter it will get to -30!!! Is this way too cold for this set up in a daily driver??? I'm also concerned about all the tubes and hoses that are needed for this with freezing and cracking. Is this worth it??

Or should I leave all the fun stuff to you Cali guys?:frown:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

im sure it will be ok. i know of this one guy with a white STi limited in edmonton who is just modded the hell out and hes doing ok...only problem is that his front lip always breaks in the winter because it acts like a snow plow in the snow lol

3. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Shouldn't be a problem.

4. da mayor

da mayor Member

i just got my G35 sedan FI'ed and it hates these hot weather days and humidity. I notice a big difference when it's 60 degrees at night w/ low humidity especially on the highway. I can't wait till it gets even colder

5. OP
    OP
    Keemo

Then I guess the rule still applies!:biggrin:

Thanks for answering a nubee question guys.

And look out dog sleighs! :rofl:

6. Frankiago

IL
    The turbo guys LOVE cold weather, especially dry, cold weather.

The only issue there is the ground then... traction isn't as good when it's colder.

7. OP
    OP
    Keemo

Actually, you make a good point that I never thought of.

Hard, cold rubber against cold hard pavement = not good traction :eek:. And some mornings when you first get going, there is actually a flat spot on your tires from where the vehicle has been sitting all night, frozen flat. But of course you most likely wouldn't be gunnin it until the engine has had a chance to warm up, and the spot rounded off from it or then I'm sure you'd be asking for something to get *#$%ed up.

8. Frankiago

IL
    Anybody remember a rule of thumb for what outside temp equates to HP wise? Drop in temp XX # degrees F = ?? HP gained... I'm sure that formula would be quite different between FI and NA?

9. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:

Now that's a damn good question. I think that's what Kemmo's really looking for an answer on. I myself am curious. Who's our engineer on the boards?

10. Ed@Pepe

Ed@Pepe Member

Keep in mind that whenever you drop air temperature, you increase air density. When you increase the density of the air the motor breathes, you have to allow for more fuel, because there is more oxygen for every breath the motor takes. Essentially, colder ambient temperatures equate to a leaner air/fuel mixture, and more power. This is good to a certain point, then you need to compensate and add more fuel to safely run the motor.

-Ed

11. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Turbos love cold air - I wouldnt worry too much.
    When I had my GMC Syclone - I used to take it up to Mammoth and man it was great compared to the LA weather. I didnt even have to boost for the blow off to sound off.
    When ever I made the trip I would set it for 15lbs.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

12. OP
    OP
    Keemo

I forgot about this thread.

Well, it snowed last night, so it's definitely cold out.
    It'd be cool to find out what the technical info would be for temp=hp. And lower alt is better than higher altitude right?

After my first couple of mods, I can see myself getting carried away...perhaps ending up with F/I of some kind, so it's good to know.
    Thanks for all the input guys.

13. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    Nice to have another expert on the forums!