Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 HFC's / Testpipes for AWD...

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by brown_fv, Sep 7, 2007.

1. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

hey guys, i'm in the boat of trying to arrange a full exhaust system (headers all the way down)...

im stuck in two spots, one like most of us is the Y-pipe for AWD (hopefully we can find a fix soon), and the second fitting HFC's or testpipes for AWD.

is there any modifications needed for HFCs or testpipes for AWD or is it just bolt on? if it just bolts on i think i will be in the market for either FI 300 cell HFCs or FI test pipes.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Krayzie

Krayzie AĆ©rospatiale

the HFC and test pipes should just bolt right up;)

3. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

even ones that were made for G35s and 350z's? wouldnt our AWD get in the way?

4. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Test pipes bolt right up. You need a SEL fix though for the O2 sensors.

5. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Does the 35 have 02 sensors pre and post cat too? One on the manifold pre-cat and one on the cat section directly after it?

6. Frankiago

IL
    Yep!

7. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Just as I thought, identical to the 45. Thanx Cube.

8. Frankiago

IL
    Yep! ;)

9. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

What is an HFC and Testpipe? :confused:

10. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

HFC's are short form for High Flow Cats. they are a replacement for our regular cats (catalytic converters). High flow cats are a lot more free flowing than the stock cats hence the HP and TQ gains. the problem with HFC's is their durability and life are shorter than our stock cats.

Test pipes are also a replacement for our stock cats although they are a straight through pipe (no cats). they are for "street use only". the gains will be a bit higher than HFC's and really great with paired with a F/I (Forced induction; Turbo, Supercharger) application.

Both significantly increase our exhaust noise, but test pipes which are not resonated tend to produce some rasp...

hope i covered everything...

11. Keemo

Ahh... I C. It's all coming together. Thanks!!!:biggrin:

12. Keemo

Hey Brown, any updates?

13. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    hey! sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but i was looking at y-pipes to complement my nismo catback, and i was going to get mu ECU tuned to stop modding for a while lol...
    but should i be looking at HFC's to go with my ypipe and catback exhaust? i have stock headers so i thought the difference would affect it, and it would better to have stock cats and headers then aftermaket y and exhaust....
    i'm thinking performance not sound

what do you guys think?

14. StuLax18

StuLax18 Staph Moderator

Dallas, TX
    2007 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    People with HFC's usually like the added sound change and say it gives a noticeable performance increase.

15. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    any brands you know? I searched and found this thread and one other.

what is the sound change? i dont want it to be too obnoxious. if it adds a noticable performance increase that sounds great to me

but if 350z and fx HFC's are the same i have some searching to do on other forums.... trying to find the best one (but not break the bank, the y-pipe and ecu tune are setting me back as is)

16. StuLax18

StuLax18 Staph Moderator

Dallas, TX
    2007 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Well, there was a recent thread on the DFW G35 section where all these local guys went HFC crazy. Here were some of the facts concerning 3 brands:
    Kinetix-Cheapest price, maybe not best quality. Version 2 was made that is better, lifetime warranty per website.
    Berk-Good reviews, I think some people said it's more raspy
    Crawford-Best of the 3, and most expensive.

Here's the link, it's kinda long but there is more info in there from people that have them/got them.
    http://g35driver.com/forums/dfw-g35-owners-club/305151-hfc-locals-chime.html

17. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    thanks stu

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

hmmm found a guy selling crawford HFC's for 300 "like new"

18. Tko512iFX

Tko512iFX Premium Member Premium

I wouldnt be afraid goin with set on the cheaper side since in fact there is a lifetime warranty on them

19. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    yeah but i dont want rasp and apparently those have plenty
    i'll see if i can get these crawfords from this guy, those are probably the best bet.

20. Tko512iFX

Tko512iFX Premium Member Premium