Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Help - Black paint on Ivory FX

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by FanatiX, Aug 18, 2007.

1. FanatiX

FanatiX Member

I was parked in our warehouse at work earlier this week, while some painters were coating some rails outside. When we went to leave our cars were coated in a fine black mist from front to back and top to bottom. My work sent my car to get it buffed but they did not remove all the paint and actually made to problem worse by getting wax on the lower black trim, removing about a foot of the clear "coating" on the black trim around the front windshield, scratching the **** out of the aluminum trim on my roof rack, and other careless details. Since they still didn't remove the paint I took it to a collision center this morning - per work. They said they would use a little paint thinner on the surface to remove the black spray, and actually tested a small area. It seems to work but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this done or is it a good idea? I'm also wondering how to remove the new fine abrasive scratch marks on the roof rack and if anyone has ever replaced the front windshield trim surround or how difficult it is - do you have to remove the front windshield to get to the trim surround? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wagon had a perfect garaged paint job before and now I feel it's been violated - twice. :mad::mad: I just parked in the garage and closed the door - I can't stand to look at it. :frown:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Use of a paint thinner would have been your best bet in the first place and the sooner the better. I'm not sure about the scratches on the rails and window trim. Maybe some buffing can help or you may need to replace the pieces. Maybe someone can chime in and offer some advise on that. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

3. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

the wax on the lower bottom of the trim can be removed by rubbing some soap or using mothers back to black...that works like a charm every time for me. for the aluminum trim, if it is scratched up badly i dont know of a way to fix it, but using some metal polish (mothers or another brand) might conceal some of the scratches.

goodluck and i hope your FX is back to normal soon:cool:

4. Deecarp

Deecarp Premium Member Premium

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    I don't know if this will work on the bare plastic bumper but it has work on paint for me. was using windex and clay bar to remove overspray. it can't hurt to give it a try.

5. OP
    OP
    FanatiX

FanatiX Member

Thanks

Thank you all for your help. I have mothers back to black so I will try that, on the trim - after the second detailing. The scratches on the aluminum rails aren't horrible (looks like they used a scouring pad) but it used to have none. All this hasn't made for a very good weekend :mad::mad::mad:. Thanks again for all your help.