Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Head lamp cover

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by CycoDK, Jan 31, 2008.

1. CycoDK

CycoDK Member

Qatar
    Can anyone help me how to remove the head lamp cover with all the silicon around??:confused:
    I've seen somewhere in this site that someone has took his head lamp apart but I don't seem I can find the thread..

thx

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
  3. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

make sure you gloves or some kind of hand protection ;)

4. OP
    OP
    CycoDK

CycoDK Member

Qatar
  5. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    I burned both thums trying to open 2 set at a time..

Gloves would be in order..;)

6. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I never tried the oven method, mighta if I had an oven in my shop... can't fit the headlight in the microwave:p

I got it pretty down to kinda easy with a heat gun... the trick is patience & keep heating it all around until the whole perimeter of the seem is nicely warmed up through & through,

I just warm the whole bottom edge corner to corner back & forth moving the heat gun at a good speed back & forth & try to heat it all even, then flip it over & do the other side, but only half as much time, cause you don't want the other side to cool too much, you then flip it over again & bring that side up in temperature again, flip & repeat, trying to bring up to, & maintain heat all around evenly...

when you first start to heat it your just heating the outside, but as you continue to maintain these temperatures by keep passing over them the inner seem starts to soak up the heat, after doing this for a steady 3,4 or 5 minutes, grab it at the inner big corner & outer & just pull it apart, after you get the first third apart the rest is easier.

maybe the oven might be easier cause it does all the heating for you, but if an oven is not available it's not to difficult with a heatgun either, no gloves needed doing it this way too

7. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

LOL @ "microwave"

8. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Heat gun is the way to go....

9. asherchy

asherchy Premium Member Premium

ive done all three methods... hairdryer.. heat gun.. and oven.
    oven is the way to go... it just opens right up.. get a couple of screwdrivers you dont care about too much and use them to hold sections open that youve already finished. this will stop it from re-attaching itself. the oven method also gives it more of a factory seal when you put it back together. with my civics years ago, i used to add some clear silicone around the edges just to ensure there was no leaking but now im old and lazy