Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

G35 extension pipe

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by CycoDK, Sep 25, 2007.

1. CycoDK

CycoDK Member

Qatar
    Does anyone have a picture or a part number for the G35 extension pipe for nismo exhaust??:)

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
  3. silverFX

silverFX Member

Newburgh, Indiana
    Sold my 2003 FX35
    How long is it?

How long is this extension? The wheels are turning! ;)

can this extension be used on any 350Z y-pipe or is it Nismo specific?

4. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    I believe the extension is used because the mid-pipe is shorter on the 350z. You can use any 350z y pipe IF you have RWD.

So if you have a 350z mid pipe, for the most part it should be able to be used with the g35 extension though you may have a mismatch in tube size. G35 extension is 3.00" where others can be 2.5" I had no issues with this mismatch though. No resonance, no rasp, etc...

5. silverFX

silverFX Member

Newburgh, Indiana
    Sold my 2003 FX35
    Here is what I am thinking.

here is my idea. I want a y-pipe for my AWD FX35. I want 2.5" inlet and 3". I have found many 350Z y-pipes on ebay and else where that have those diameters. I was thinking of buying two extensions and putting them on the front of the y-pipe. Then buying a 350Z mid pipe for the back of the y-pipe. Now I would have to look for a Y-pipe that had a larger y (JIC).

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Y_Pipes

What do you think about that idea?

6. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Never thought of that. Note that our outlet from the cats are 2.25". Trying to mate this to a 3.00" extension piece should be fine as long as it bolts up. Granted my 3.0" y pipe mated to my 2.5" mid pipe, it is possible all the bolts line up. No one has tried, so you would be the first to mate a 2.25" to a 3.00"

You're running into a lot of mis matches, 2.25" cat out to 3.00" G35 extension to 2.5" y pipe dual in to 3.0" y pipe out.

You're adding weight as well with the extensions. Moving the y pipe further back, it may still not clear the AWD case.

Not discouraging you as I'd love to see this done, but just know the risk of trying it. If this does work, could open a lot of doors for other FXers.

7. silverFX

silverFX Member

Newburgh, Indiana
    Sold my 2003 FX35
    May try it.

I may just go ahead and try it. If it does not work i guess I will just sell it here on the Scene.

The headers on my avatar have an outlet of 2.5".

I think I will look for a used 350Z y-pipe to keep the cost and risk down.

8. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

that just might work...using a g35 extension on either side will push the y-pipe back (like you said) and it just might give clearance for a g35/350z specific y-pipe to be used.

going from the outlet of your cats (2.25 or 2.5) to the 3" of the g35 extension wont be a problem, but hopefully you can get a y-pipe that has an inlet of at least 2.5". you might lose some low end power with the increased piping size though but im no expert.

9. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Never go bigger to smaller on the way out the back, & 3" single has not shown to lose anything on the low end. stock cats are the main kink in the system. Unless you change that out & headers, ya wont lose anything.
    Chedman, you have a smaller midpipe than your Y? Why did you choose this setup?

10. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Why not just get the y pipe Chedman found in Taiwan which already fits the AWD FX.

11. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    I didn't have a choice, only had 3.00" outlet to my 2.5" hks mid pipe. I could have used a reducer to make the transition more smooth, but after the y pipe was bolted, i listened to it and drove it around and decided I didn't need it. Mabye I lost some power, but if so it would be offset by the gain from the y pipe in general. But I doubt I lost much if any as there is no rasp or resonance so loss would be at a minimal.

My goal is to maximize performance but to an extent. My trade off here was to find something cheaper than the Stillen (which happened because I bought a used HKS rear section), but 100% bolt on. For some reason, my #1 priority was to have something 100% bolt-on or else I would have gotten the Stillen or Nismo.

I'm very happy with my set up and wouldn't have done it any different. HKS sounds and looks great with the Y pipe. But I do agree, the 3.00" to 2.5" might scare people off, but after I tried it, doesn't bother me a bit.

12. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    OK, understood . . but sounds like the HKS would have been the PERFECT Y for you.
    Glad there's no rasp :rolleyes: That could have been the likely result of yur setup.

13. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    They did have a 2.5" out that UTR sold two of them. Unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on these.

I'm just happy I have a rare y pipe=) I can always go to nismo later on if I decide to and not have a mismatch.

14. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Nismo, no, it's also a 3". Best match for you & that midpipe is that UTR 2.5 or the HKS.

15. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Sorry let me clarify. I currently have a 3.00" y pipe outlet. If I got the Nismo like Pierce I would not have a mismatch.

Yes I agree for my current mid pipe of 2.5" , the 2.5 UTR y pipe outlet is optimal. HKS y pipe is optimal if I had RWD as you mentioned.

16. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    all clear

17. silverFX

silverFX Member

Newburgh, Indiana
    Sold my 2003 FX35
  18. OP
    OP
    CycoDK

CycoDK Member

Qatar
    Is this extension in G35 coupe or the sedan??:confused:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  19. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    You still have to extend the tips. All the 350z/G exhausts will work with the RWD fx35 but you will still need to extend the tips and depending on the exhaust, need the G35 extension piece.