Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX seems so slow all of a sudden...loss of power...?

Discussion in 'QX70 Chat' started by brown_fv, Aug 16, 2007.

1. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

for the past few nights every time ive been driving my FX it seemed to be a lot more sluggish and a lot slower than it usually is...when i hit the gas i feel like there is no low end power whatsoever and something that i really noticed is that i barely hear the whistle of my pop charger that i usually do. the filter doesn't need cleaning as i only have around 5000km on it.

when i turn on my car in the garage i hear this faint high-pitched sound...could it possibly be an air leak from my plenum? i remember a few nights ago i was just re-tightening the bolts...maybe i broke one? would an air leak cause a noticeable loss of power the way i am feeling it? it honestly feels slower than stock:frown:

i am due for service in a little bit, but i am very hesitant to bring it up as i am modded and there are not so many modded cars here (i might be one of the only modded FXs in the city)

btw if it means anything, when i turn on my FX the RPM shoots up over 2000 before settling (cant remember if it did that before)

thanks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. A leak could be your problem or it could be something simple like bad gas. If you are hearing a hissing noise that wasn't there before I would start checking leaks. BTW what's the mileage on your FX?

3. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

how would i go about checking for leaks? my mileage is currently almost 25,000KM and im due for service at a bit less than 26,000KM

4. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Yes a leak could cause sluggish power due to the un-metered air entering the engine. I always check for leaks by spraying some fuel injector cleaner around the areas I think I have a leak and if the idle changes when you spray you have found your leak.

5. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

if i want to try this, should i first turn on my car and while it is already idling just spray a slight amount over the area (or areas) where i think a leak could be? how will the idle change? will the fuel injector cleaner get sucked in?

6. fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    Here is something I pulled off the web

Yes, start the car first and at idle do the above

7. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

ok, i got some fuel injector cleaner and did what you said. before i did that i loosened me plenum bolts then torqued them back into place. at idle when i sprayed the fuel injector around some of the bolts or areas i thought could have a leak i did not hear any change in idle. my gas is almost empty so ill fill her up at a different station today and see if maybe there was a batch of bad gas or something.

8. fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    bump for an update

9. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

well ever since then ive noticed its not as "sluggish" as it was before but still feels like something is missing. i dont hear that noise i heard coming from the engine before, i guess i should have used the fuel injector cleaner before i re tightened all the bolts, but im pretty sure one or more were loose. when i turn on from a cold start engine shoots to no more than 2000 rpm or so and then settles (before it was going well past 2000rpm). i also hear my pop charger again...will try to do some 0-60 tests (estimates as i dont have a g-tech or anything) and a bunch of WOT pulls to see if everything is back to normal.