Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX seems so slow all of a sudden...loss of power...?

Discussion in 'QX70 Chat' started by brown_fv, Aug 16, 2007.

1. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

for the past few nights every time ive been driving my FX it seemed to be a lot more sluggish and a lot slower than it usually is...when i hit the gas i feel like there is no low end power whatsoever and something that i really noticed is that i barely hear the whistle of my pop charger that i usually do. the filter doesn't need cleaning as i only have around 5000km on it.

when i turn on my car in the garage i hear this faint high-pitched sound...could it possibly be an air leak from my plenum? i remember a few nights ago i was just re-tightening the bolts...maybe i broke one? would an air leak cause a noticeable loss of power the way i am feeling it? it honestly feels slower than stock:frown:

i am due for service in a little bit, but i am very hesitant to bring it up as i am modded and there are not so many modded cars here (i might be one of the only modded FXs in the city)

btw if it means anything, when i turn on my FX the RPM shoots up over 2000 before settling (cant remember if it did that before)

thanks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Z33_2_FX35

Z33_2_FX35 Member

A leak could be your problem or it could be something simple like bad gas. If you are hearing a hissing noise that wasn't there before I would start checking leaks. BTW what's the mileage on your FX?

3. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

how would i go about checking for leaks? my mileage is currently almost 25,000KM and im due for service at a bit less than 26,000KM

4. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

Car:
    Other
    Garages:
    Yes a leak could cause sluggish power due to the un-metered air entering the engine. I always check for leaks by spraying some fuel injector cleaner around the areas I think I have a leak and if the idle changes when you spray you have found your leak.

5. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

if i want to try this, should i first turn on my car and while it is already idling just spray a slight amount over the area (or areas) where i think a leak could be? how will the idle change? will the fuel injector cleaner get sucked in?

6. fxlr8

Car:
    Other
    Garages:
    Here is something I pulled off the web

Yes, start the car first and at idle do the above

7. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

ok, i got some fuel injector cleaner and did what you said. before i did that i loosened me plenum bolts then torqued them back into place. at idle when i sprayed the fuel injector around some of the bolts or areas i thought could have a leak i did not hear any change in idle. my gas is almost empty so ill fill her up at a different station today and see if maybe there was a batch of bad gas or something.

8. fxlr8

Car:
    Other
    Garages:
    bump for an update

9. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

well ever since then ive noticed its not as "sluggish" as it was before but still feels like something is missing. i dont hear that noise i heard coming from the engine before, i guess i should have used the fuel injector cleaner before i re tightened all the bolts, but im pretty sure one or more were loose. when i turn on from a cold start engine shoots to no more than 2000 rpm or so and then settles (before it was going well past 2000rpm). i also hear my pop charger again...will try to do some 0-60 tests (estimates as i dont have a g-tech or anything) and a bunch of WOT pulls to see if everything is back to normal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.