Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Front drive axle "fell out"

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by Frankiago, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I made it home, and there's a series of 3 speed bumps before reaching my parking space. After the third bump I heard a clunk, and as I get to the parking spot I hear a horrible clankity ... almost grind with some thud mixed in the middle. I threw it in park and immediately leaped out to inspect. What do I find? Looks like the left front (driver's side front) drive axel unlinked itself, I couldn't find the bolts that hold it in around the perimeter...

Maybe they snapped off and fell, I'll go look for them in a bit.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    I think we are both in the same boat with this...

I think your FX is RWD right...

3. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    lol no, AWD. The front axle is a drive axle. I went back and looked just now...

I looked all over the parking lot and I came up with 2 bolts, look like they have star / torx heads and when I looked back at the connections for this drive axle, I was excited at first. Turns out it's a total of 4 bolts, 2 within a half inch of eachother on either side... so I'm missing 2 of the bolts and whatever nuts go on there. I'm pretty sure nuts belong on there and it doesn't just directly thread into the housing.

At any rate, I will get a temporary fix by going to Lowe's or Home Depot with these 2 bolts. I will order the proper nuts and bolts (8 of them) for both sides and replace all of them. Ever since the engine swap ordeal, nothing's been completely "there."

In fact, I'm replacing most of my exhaust bolts, nuts and gaskets for the same reason, and I'll get around to various engine bay bolts when I can.

4. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

dude that sucks -

5. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    To be more specific, it's the inner CV joint on the left front that unbolted itself. I still have no idea how it happened as I don't know how many bolts were put on there during the re-install.

6. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

whoa. So the half shaft fell off the front diff? Did the cv boot remain intact?

7. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Everything remained intact. It was only off for approximately 25 feet of driving at <5 mph (luckily).

I will re-bolt it up after getting some necessary hardware and do some test-driving on it around the block and make decisions from there. I still don't know how it happened (well I know the speed bump did it... but I don't know why the bolts fell out).

I have yet to find the nuts, just 2, like stated earlier, torx-head bolts? It kinda looked odd seeing them as I'm used to seeing 10-14mm bolts all over this car, but aside from springs I haven't looked at anything suspension/drivetrain related.

My exhaust, specifically from headers to Y-pipe connections are all suspect, so I spent $30 on OEM nuts ($2.64 per nut!!!) and another $40 or so in OEM exhaust gaskets to replace at all of these connections.

8. rookie

How's the other side? Same type of torx bolts? The RWDs I see regular nuts and bolts.
    GT_Spec_bars_01.jpg

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Sweet picture, that's EXACTLY what I was talking about... and thanks for showing the proper bolts. These (the ones that fell out) are DEFINITELY not the OEM bolts, I'll get pics tomorrow.

View attachment 132096

10. rookie

Here's the side flanges of the rear diff.
    3-2.jpg

Attached Files:

• 3-2.jpg
      3-2.jpg
      File size:
      156.3 KB
      Views:
  11. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Hmmm? Sorry I don't quite get it...

12. rookie

Giving you reference on how many bolts are on the rear diff.

13. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Anybody have a how-to on replacing the CV joint boot? I have no idea what tool is used to get the clamp off. It's a C-clamp that almost seems like I'd have to cut it off... if that's the case then I can give that a go and order 1 more new boot assembly (only $30)...

Edit: nevermind, I just ordered a new boot assembly with clamps, so I'm just gonna destroy this one taking it off. They still haven't shipped my order of shaft+bolts b/c they're STILL waiting on the bolts, SOOO I'm going to just cut the clamps off and remove the boot so I can get this thing outta there and have a drivable car again.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  14. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    the axle bolts should have loc-tite on them, when they did the swap they probably didn't use locktite, also, they should be grade 8 bolts with high shear strength...

15. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    The lock nut that holds the axle to the hub is rather large. I do not have a deep socket to accommodate this huge nut... sooo I got pretty far in removing the axle, this nut is the only thing holding it on, and now I give up and I'll be driving it very slowly to a wheel alignment / axle shop and have them remove it...

16. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Anybody know off-hand if I were to remove a drive axle, would the shaft entering the diff fall out?

I don't know exactly what would be holding it on, it's part # 38231Y pictured (towards the lower right side)... doesn't look like it's bolted in, just basically pushed in on that side and the 6 bolts and pressure from the drive axle is keeping the shaft inserted into the diff... don't know if driving and vibrations would eventually send this sucker flying out?

I'm getting a tow b/c I don't have the tools to remove the axle myself, didn't think of the rest of the shaft that's going into the diff until now.

View attachment 132100

17. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    theres a snap ring lock usually, it won't fall out if the axle is removed,. there sometimes a real bitch to get out even when you try:)

18. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Sweet

19. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    They wouldn't touch it b/c the drive axle locks the wheel bearings in place... they said the wheel bearings would be destroyed before I got home if I drove it like that...

$60 tow there, $60 tow back, nothing but wasted time to show for it... pretty shitty.

20. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    yeah, they would have had to seperate the outer cv joint from the axle & then put the outer cv joint back in to keep the bearing togeather... they couldn't figure that out? the outer cv joint connects to the shaft with another locking clip like the inner, sometimes they need to be released with a special cv joint clip pliers though...

sucks man...