Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Front door, hatch stopped unlocking

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by mtbfx, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    looks like it is time for new actuators or whatever mechanism it has. few days ago the front passenger door stopped unlocking but can be operated from the inside. earlier today, the hatch wont unlock via remove or driver door controls. sucks. waiting for a quote from west co nissan and may check glendale infiniti too.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. OP
    OP
    mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    i tried unlocking while car is on. the door still doesnt unlock, however, the hatch opens. i tried this multiple times. looks like actuator for the door, but unsure about the hatch. gremlins? any ideas?

3. BTLFED

BTLFED Member

Woodstock GA
    2006 FX35 AWD
    The latch going bad on the hatch and not letting it unlock is a farely common occurance as is the door lock actuator. We actually stock the hatch latch, but the door can take a couple different ones.

4. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Mike, how old is your FX? I thought it was fairly new. Actuator going bad already?

5. OP
    OP
    mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    mine is an 03. its at the dealership now, waiting for a quote.

6. OP
    OP
    mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    just got it done. they replaced the door actuator and everything is now working fine. at a total of $500 including labor. there goes a few future mods.

7. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Dam, $500.00!!! Wow that is a hefty price tag. How long are those actuators supposed to last?

But man, from the the looks of your FX Mike I would have never thought of it as an '03! Looks so dam clean, keep it up.

8. OP
    OP
    mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    the part was about 260 and the rest is labor and tax. the words "ext warranty" was on my head as i was making the payment.

another rep saw my ride and thought my fx was newer than 03 and that the work was under warranty. i wish.

9. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I think LMS would have been cheaper for the labor. Part cost would have been the same tho.

10. OP
    OP
    mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    things are just too hectic and i was in a "get it done now" mode. im sure it would have been less.

lets just say this is my latest mod :LOL:.

11. MASSIVE

MASSIVE Member

I'm kinda havin the same problem with my passenger door and the rear driver door. I was wondering if it would just be something that would be correct with an installation of an alarm system. Does anyone know if you still use the stock actuator when installing an alarm system or would it be replaced?

Not sure cause I never installed a alarm system in a car before.

12. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    What kind of problem are you having?

13. MASSIVE

MASSIVE Member

Well I still have the OEM alarm system, the standard lock and unlock doors and panic button. When I'm going to unlock the car and throw my work bag in the back seat the door, sometimes, doesn't unlock. After hitting the lock and unlock button a few times it will finally unlock. Same thing happens with the front passenger sometimes.

I want to add an alarm system to my car, but if I have to replace the bad actuators, if thats what the problem is, then I can forget adding any mods anytime soon.

I got a oil change coming up this Monday, I'm going to talk with the dealer rep then to get an idea of what the problem could be and how much.

14. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    weak actuators are not that uncommon with a lot of cars really, they do go after a while. about the only thing you could do is open it up & make sure nothing is causing any added resistance in the linkages... don't know if your car was ever repaired but body shop dust can acumulate on inner lubricated stuff & mix with the grease that was a lube & kinda make it like a paste instead, causing stuff like this. a bent or out of place linkage rod can make resistance too. maybe a long shot but might be worth at least looking at... if your fx is a virgin then it's gonna be the actuators themselves really though...

15. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Yea, I agree with Turbo. I suggest having the dealer look at the actuators before looking at any after market alarm systems.

16. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    oh yeah, when an aftermarket alarm is installed it is just connected to the oe door lock wiring & simulates a button press, they do not install actuators with an alarm, it uses the oe actuators, unless the car didn't have power locks to begin with. aftermarket piggy back actuators are not a good option, better off just replacing the oe actuators...

17. ABETRMAN

ABETRMAN Member

Washington
    2004 FX35 RWD
    Johnny
    Dr.2k, what is LMS? I believe I may be suffering from the same problem.

18. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    LMS = Luxury Motor Sport. They are located in Monrovia in San Gabriel Valley. Close to Metro Infiniti.

Talk to Steve the owner and tell him you are form the FX forum and Pierce or Will referred you there.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  19. ABETRMAN

ABETRMAN Member

Washington
    2004 FX35 RWD
    Johnny
    Thank you Dr.

20. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages: