Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 For those with bubbling dash. Coverlay dash cover

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by WiND DANCE, Jun 4, 2016.

1. WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    For those with issues involving the bubbling dashes, we have another option to the expensive oem replacement! I heard about this company a few months back, but I never gave it a second thought because the idea seemed "cheesy?". As far as I can tell there was nobody on IS ot the ORG that has tried it. But now...

Bikerj11!!!! A fellow member, he has purchased a cover and posted some pictures on facebook.

Coverlay dash cover. It's plastic that mimics the original dash. According to the site, the cover is held in place by clear silicone.
    The company site: Coverlaymfg.com (no affiliation to me)

View attachment 310489 View attachment 310493 View attachment 310497 View attachment 310504

Overall thoughts? It's decent, I do see some bubbling getting exposed around the speaker area and the center speaker is not a cut out instead it's some drilled holes. I think it's a cheaper alternative and if we were to get more users going this route maybe we could have the manufacturer get it to exact cutouts. I wonder how this affects the passenger airbag deployment?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    RRack likes this.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. porkandbeans

porkandbeans iS Dutcher iS VIP

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    This type of dash cover is typically a great solution.
    I put one (different brand / same thing) on my GTO about 20 years ago and it looks as good today as it did after I installed it. Several months ago, I started looking for a FX version. I found Coverlay, but it's pretty pricey still at $300 on eBay (reg price $400). Instead, I bought an easier priced one for my truck a month ago. The fit on that one is just about perfect and in fact, I've still been too lazy to actually glue it down.
    Back to the FX.... the dash is more complicated, so I'd be a little more hesitant, but I do believe in the product. What has deterred me is that the new dash would be hard plastic and instead of the soft vinyl covered foam.

3. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    While I do agree the cheap plastic feel and look doesn't belong in interiors of today..(esp. luxury car) I remember my 90s mustang with cheap plastic all over the interior. It's better than a worts all over the dash for those that missed the recall. The price for the cover is pretty steep for what it is, but given that a dash replacement is about $1k... I'd say for a decade old car it isn't too bad of an idea.

4. g0ldm4g3

g0ldm4g3 Would ya just look at it iS VIP

Richmond, TX
    2006 FX35 RWD
    Nnaji
    Garages:
    How does this work around the airbag..?

5. Kanedean

Kanedean Premium Member Premium

Peace River, AB
    2013 FX37 AWD
    Garages:
    Yes...
    Make sure there are cuts and grooves for airbag deployments. You really don't want to your passenger to wear the dash cover when there is a crash.

6. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    Im not sure. Maybe when bikerj11 logs in he can chime in

7. jebjeb

jebjeb Member

Dallas
    2003 FX35
    There is still some hope for Cali and Texas(first party owners) with the lawsuit going on.

I have been kicked from the lawsuit for not being a first party buyer but the case # BC498119 I believe still going forward.

8. g0ldm4g3

Richmond, TX
    2006 FX35 RWD
    Nnaji
    Garages:
    Still interested in this..

9. planckscale

planckscale Member

Tanzania
    2006 FX35 AWD
    That looks great man, if you compare to my current bubble bath!
    I have asked a vendor (CARiD) and unfortunately they don't have this solution for the 2006-08 models.
    But I am wondering if this could be made to fit on the 2006 dash??

10. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    I always thought the 03-05 and 06-08 has the same upper part of the dash.

UPDATE: never mind the bottom of the stereo area is slightly different.

11. planckscale

planckscale Member

Tanzania
    2006 FX35 AWD
    That is my worry. But it looks pretty good, I am tempted to try it on a 06...

12. ndgo88

ndgo88 Member

United States
    2003 FX 45
    Glen Gill
    Does anyone know if this will fit a 2003 FX45?

13. g0ldm4g3

Richmond, TX
    2006 FX35 RWD
    Nnaji
    Garages:
    You should..

Sent from my SGH-M919

14. Glenn George

Glenn George Member

Texas
    2007 FX35
    In regards to the airbag, there is a cutout for it, in which you glue the cutout directly to the old dashboard AFTER you put the new dashboard on. I guess the theory is, it will work the same way since the airbag piece is glued to the old dashboard. However, I'm really curious if it's even off a little bit that the force of the airbag deployed would ripoff the Coverlay and into someone--can the passenger airbag be turned off? Is there a fuse for it? I hope Coverlay really looks at this.

I have a 2007 FX35, purchased, which is good for 06-08:
    Coverlay Mfg| Dash Cover Coverlay 10-609LL-BLK

Southwest Infiniti Dealership wanted $2,300 to replace the dashboard (before tax).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  15. herostar

herostar Member

Denver
    2005 FX35 2012 G37x
    Has anyone else tried this solution?

Has anyone received any more info regarding how the airbag works with this cover?

I'm considering this as a repair option, and I might have it wrapped in suede or leather... My dash is really bad and I'm looking to get it fixed!

16. skater1

skater1 Member

Los Angeles
    2004 FX 45
    I just received mine and it looks great, but the problem is I can't get it to fit on my dashboard. I have a 2004 FX 45. The right side is perfect but it seems the left side needs to slide between the steering wheel assembly and the dash, there is absolutely no room in there. Perhaps they sent me the wrong one or it's for a different year? Anyone have any thoughts before it goes back. I'd love to get it to work as it really looks good. Thanks.

IMG_6630.jpg

17. porkandbeans

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    From that picture, it looks like it's off by 2-3 inches, but that can't be right.
    Can you get that Left side to fit in place if you pull the Right side off?
    Send more pictures.

18. porkandbeans

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    Or you're just having trouble around the steering column and gauge cluster?
    Did you telescope your steering wheel all the way out?

19. DinGu BinGo

DinGu BinGo Member

Riyadh
    2008 Fx35
    Salama
    Anyone else who tried this out kindly let us know how it looks and upload some pics

20. RRack

RRack Member

San Antonio, TX
    2003 FX35
    Robert
    Curious if anyone has tried the Accuform Inc version? I've seen a few pop up on ebay. However, I don't see them listed on the Accuform website. I've emailed them but haven't gotten a reply yet. They show to be $169 from a seller with zero feedback. Is this real or a scam set-up? They also have misspellings and the incorrect years for the 1st gen in the listing... '06-08 Infinity! Just curious because that sounds a lot better than over $300.