Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Final Gears for the FX?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by djdorifto, Sep 14, 2007.

1. One great mod for the S2000 is a higher Final Gear Ratio... Its not really adding horsepower to a car, but it feels like it... Can after market final gears for lets say from a 350z, would they fit in our rear diffs?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

RWDs come with 3.3 open. AWDs come with 3.7 open. I have a RWD, but am using a 3.7FD and a ATS LSD.

3. cool, I was doing some searching for Final Gears but they were all only for 6spds... Where did you get your ATS LSD?

4. rookie

I believe there are only a few LSDs that can be added to the 3.3FD, maybe 1 or 2 if I recall correctly. Most of the LSDs are designed around the thickness of the 3.5 3.7 3.9 rings.

I got a second pumpkin from a G driver who was adding the 3.7 to a 3.5 with vLSD. Swapped out the companion flange and it was a direct swap. Are you looking for a RWD or AWD FX?

5. RWD is what I'm looking at...

6. raymond

raymond Member

Netherlands
    FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Something else.

Some of the guys here advised me to go for a 3.9 Final Drive.I have to questions concerning this:

1) will this effect the topspeed to much....??

2) on your website it doesn't say any aivalable for a automatic (350Z)

7. you would need to buy the differential from a manual car (stock or aftermarket diff) as well as new output shafts, bearings, etc to make it all work. This is true of the 3.7, 3.9, 4.08 and 4.3 - they are all designed to work with the manual transmission LSD, which is different from the automatic LSD

yes it reduces top speed - but you're driving a luxury SUV...so top speed isn't exactly high on the list of attributes in the first place :) Seriously though, there are a bunch of gear oriented calculators online. If you plug in the weight, power, wheel/tire combo, gears, and ratios, it will show you what the top speed is on a per gear basis and in overdrive, for all the ring and pinion combos we offer.

8. raymond

raymond Member

Netherlands
    FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    That is just where my doubt is. I've been to Frankfurt (Germany) this week and drove for about 4,5 hours on their autobahn. Then you sometime really want/need a higher topspeed. Driving around in a aggresive FX but being blown away by a 2.5 TDI VW Toureag herts i can tell you.But on the other side driving in the netherlands i can hardly drive at topspeed and then you would want more low end action.

What my main notice was, that the automatic gears shift kinda "Old Skool" you really feel in it schock into another gear sometimes, depening also on the position of your gaspedal at that time.
    Now i've driven with the VW / AUDI DSG system several times and that feels so great,almost F1 like.
    Now i know this won't be able to create on the FX, but will the shifting itself also be any different using the 3.9 Final Gear Drive...?? I mean faster.....harder.....crispy'er....??

9. it has no affect on the shifting at all in terms of shift feel, etc - that is all in the valvebody

10. raymond

raymond Member

Netherlands
    FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Can that be changed as well.....?? And what need to do/buy.....??

11. sorry we don't offer any such products

12. Airvtec

Airvtec Member

Hayward, CA
    2006 FX35
    Couple of tuners offer valve bodies, even torque converters. I have both from GTM. Stillen offers valve body.

13. raymond

raymond Member

Netherlands
    FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Okey clear. Thanks for all your help though.Will keep the final gear in mind :top:

Can you tell me some more about these products and what they do...?? And what your opnion is on them...?? Thanks

14. Airvtec

Airvtec Member

Hayward, CA
    2006 FX35
    The valve body upgrade allows the transmission to shift faster, and more crisp. This is pretty noticeable when you go WOT. When driven hard, you can really feel the shifts and the car lurches forward. I can't explain the torque converter as well. Here is a link to read about it http://www.levelten.com/converters.htm :4tongue:

15. raymond

raymond Member

Netherlands
    FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Do you have the final gears changed as well...?? And to wich one..? If so what are your experiances together with the valvebody upgrade...??

Also a collegue of mine did a 350Z today with final gear change. He did this for another collegue and didn't knew for sure wich gear type it was. He thought it was a 3.9
    Driving it the rev-up was substantial faster........maybe even to much for the FX he said and advised to go for a lower gear.
    Any suggestions anyone wich to choise.....not doing any track work..;)

Rookie you still have the 3.7..?? Why choice this over the 3.9 wich i see offer more true most tuners...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  16. raymond

raymond Member

Netherlands
    FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Found out today that my collegue has a 4.1 Final Gear in his 350Z and these are very short.
    But understand on the Z1 website that the 3.9 isn't advisable on a automatic transmission.
    But i thought some of you guys had a 3.9 or am i wrong and need to stay with 3.7...??

17. as posted above:

18. raymond

raymond Member

Netherlands
    FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    anyone here having a 3.9 Final drive in his FX...?? want to know your opinion...? :wub:

19. rookie

Final drive change is the ticket, when more RWD guys try this more will realize.

Here's G/Z 5AT 3.3 vs FX 3.3 including tire size.
    33FD.jpg

G35 5AT 3.3 vs FX 3.9 including tire size.
    33FD_39FD.jpg

G35 6MT 3.5 vs FX 3.9 including tire size.
    35FD_39FD.jpg

Attached Files:

20. StuLax18

StuLax18 Staph Moderator

Dallas, TX
    2007 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    What exactly do those graphs mean? Steeper is better, and it shows that you gain speed faster with the 3.3?