Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Fast Intentions Exhaust on an FX35 - Oh BABY!

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by brown_fv, Mar 14, 2008.

1. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Guys - check out this thread on the .org http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18296

im sure you have all heard me talk about having an FI exhaust on our FX's...im a REALLY excited somebody did this, hopefully i will have the same exhaust sometime in the summer.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I heard this exhaust before. I think it sounds ok, but a bit higher pitch for my taste. I personally favor the nismo sound which is deeper.

3. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

I perfer the sound of the nismo as well, but for a dyno proven exhaust you cant go wrong with FI. i would take the performance over the sound ;). plus with the FI test pipes the weight savings with the exhaust and pipes is around 40lbs!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  4. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    But that's the thing...dyno proven on a G35 but not on a FX35. But the true dual will be beneficial to FI, but I don't think with the same numbers that are on a 350z or G35.

5. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

haha i guess we finally disagree on something eh doc. my personal belief, the engine config all the way back to the exhaust is the same on our cars (FX35 & G35). so i think the effects to the engine will be the same; the same breathing effect. obviously the dyno numbers will be a lot less IF anything because the FX weighs so much and the wheels are death for a dyno, but the effects compared to a G35 will be the same....but thats just what i think :wub:

6. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Hey B, I'm not trying to spoil your plans or rain on your parade (hope you don't get that impression). I'm just expressing my own little opinion =)

If you like it that all that matters. I just got the feeling that you were really looking for proven numbers and I was just stating what I thought.

7. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

haha yea man its all good. the FI is also a lot more than the nismo and you dont usually find used ones (or they go really quickly)...$$ is still a big factor for me too so we'll see what happens!:nerd:

8. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

I really like the sound of the FI exhaust.
    Brown, I hope you do this one. :cool:

9. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Drivetrain losses will be different but the power potentials should be the same. If the drivetrain loss is 10% between the models, expect it to be higher as you try to gain power here and there. The 350zs regular make more power stock just from the shorter driveshaft and the fact they are made of different materials vs the Gs. Add in 6MT and 5AT and it gets more complicated than initially thought.

10. Keemo

I guess with 'our' options of exhaust set ups ie: Nismo, Stillen, HKS, this still wouldnt be a bad choice in performance right?

11. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

I'm basically agreeing with both of their views. :)

If it makes 10 on a Z, I can see it making 7 on a G, probably 5-6 on a rwd fx and 4-5 on an awd fx. Having a x pipe is benefical to maximize the exhaust pulses. The weight of this vs the stillen is probably better. I've seen people mentioning tq loss using the stillen 2.25 but this is a 2.5?

All in all, not a bad option at all.

12. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

^great insight rookie. i think the only small thing that worries me is the actual install as he was the first. i know he was the first one to do it, but removing the V flex thing or whatever really worried me i hope he puts it back on.

13. Destro

Destro Member

NOVA
    I never had any problems when I had it on my G35. It still seems to have enough movement to it for it not to be a problem.

And as far as the sound goes, I love it. It is the same tone just deeper. I haven't heard the Nismo or Stillen on a FX yet though.

14. PGTFTW

PGTFTW Member

VA
    that's like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic. nice gesture, but mostly pointless :4tongue:

15. Destro

Destro Member

NOVA
    :biggrin:When I went on a cruise with my family back in 91', my brother and I threw a couple of deck chairs off the side of the boat in the middle of the night. I have a picture somewhere I took of my brother throwing a chair.

16. Keemo

Post a clip if you can!:)

17. Destro

Destro Member

NOVA
    Don't know how to, and don't have a good enough camera to make sound clips with. There are sound clips of it on their website of the exhaust on a 350Z. Basically sounds the same.

18. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

you just installed a set of Volks right? weight savings there too...every bit adds up; spare tire and tools ~ 50lbs, exhaust savings ~40lbs, lighter wheels and tires ~ depending on your set up...it easily adds up man.

19. PGTFTW

PGTFTW Member

VA
    absolutely, just like throwing a deck chair off the titanic helps. :p

seriously though....20lbs less of rotating and unsprung weight makes a MUCH bigger difference than 40lbs less exhaust weight.

20. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

OK, im talking about an exhaust though not wheels in this thread. the weight savings was just an added bonus to the better airflow.