Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Exhaust pieces a la carte?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by Frankiago, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    How many pieces are there to our exhaust?

Headers
    Cats
    Y
    Mid
    Muffler

Is that correct? In that case, is it possible for me to buy JUST a mid pipe?

For example... the STS kit bolts up to the stock mid pipe flange, in place of the muffler, so I won't be needing a muffler.

UTR-Y pipe is the only one that'll fit, being AWD.

Already have headers and test pipes...

Would the stock muffler bolt up to a Nismo mid pipe? What mid pipes would it bolt up to? Can I buy JUST a mid-pipe from an exhaust set? I'm looking for a stainless piece.

I plan on header-wrapping my exhaust from the headers, through the test pipes, and all the way down the Y and mid pipes, so I'd like a full stainless exhaust, but buying the mid-pipe alone doesn't seem possible. I'd hate to buy a full cat-back to get ONLY the mid pipe :p

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    You should be able to buy just a midpipe, but with all the mismatch items, you should check your diameters for consistency. Also, if you buy a mid made for a Z, you'll need the G35 extension.

3. silverFX

silverFX Member

Newburgh, Indiana
    Sold my 2003 FX35
    I would like to know the stock exhaust inlet and outlet diameter sizes?

I could search the org but I always come up with way too many illrelivent posts.

Besides, I was thinking of keeping the stock muffler. I like the tips.

4. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
  5. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    *updated*

I measured my stock exhaust:
    Dual 2.25" inlet to the Y-pipe (I don't know this for sure, as I didn't take my y pipe off)
    Single 65mm outlet of the Y-pipe
    Single 65mm inlet to the mid-pipe
    Single 65mm outlet to the rear-section

As in tip size, HKS is 115mm or roughly 4.53".
    OEM tip size, outer diameter 100mm

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  6. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:

(Updated due to wrong info, see above for OEM measurements)

I don't think anyone has been "brave" enough to purchase this:
    http://zerotek.net/infxztcohibo.html
    The zerotek y-pipe that *should* fit our FX35/FX45 RWD and AWD due to the more extreme spread. I recall someone buying the exhaust system and had bad problems and even worse customer service. I have no idea though as I didn't experience this myself. Many on this forum would appreciate if someone tried...hint hint. The y-pipe shouldn't have as many fitment issues (or at least I hope so) as there is the flex section that can give little leeway. But then again if it's just not made well, that's a whole other story.

I heard rumors of the UTR y-pipe coming out again and also a HKS y-pipe that is only available in Japan (not on www.hksusa.com website). Didn't another member copy someone else's y-pipe to duplicate it? Someone else just had one made at a custom shop.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  7. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Not exactly accurate. It was after the installation of the UTR y-pipe and the added weight and flex joints caused the sag and hence the rattling on the W brace. With just the nismo exhaust installed there was no rattling up to that point.

8. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    After talking with my brother, I think I'm just gonna go custom exhaust.

I plan on chopping my test pipes just shortly after the mount to the headers, and start opening up the exhaust from there. Funnel it up from the 2.25" to 3" piping, extending down to mimic a Y-pipe and instead just come to an H or better yet an X if my bro feels comfortable with that... then come dual 3" all the way down where the mid-pipe would be, then finally Y-together into the stock mount between mid-pipe and muffler flange so that I can bolt this right up to the turbo exhaust manifold :p

(bro does welding, and works at AMS)

9. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Is it the UTR y-pipe that is more heavy than stock?

10. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    AMS - probably one of the few places I know that deals with stainless steel. That's a nice connection.

11. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Both my brothers work there lol... I'm thinking of just goin with the cheapest STS kit, no intercooler and base turbo, then get my IC and turbo from my AMS hook up :wub:

STS uses pretty cheap stuff anyways to keep their cost down.

12. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Sorry not a lot to add to the question at hand. But doesn't the Nismo y pipe fit the AWDs? Not sure how many 45s running the full Nismo exhaust, but TrainerKen has it and I don't recall any transfercase issues.

13. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

he had to cut it somewhere around the flex and mold/extend it so that it would fit. his custom method also bypassed the g35 extension piece as well.

14. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Dam it, that's what I get for speed reading it. Too bad the G35Xs are all sedans.

15. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I think so but I also think it's more due to the flex joints.