Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX45 Exhaust noob help..

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by hitwolf, Jan 8, 2008.

1. hitwolf

hitwolf Member

Well the time has come to upgrade my exhuast for the wonder 45! Now as comming from the south where i am competing with loud trucks and i am wanting something more loud then exotic. I also dont want to spend a fortune on this and i also want to keep most of my system stock with no major modifications (like keeping the stock y pipe and such). I was thinking on an 80 series flowmaster with a resonator removed. How do you think this will sound? What other options do i have?
    Thanks for the help!

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. OP
    OP
    hitwolf

hitwolf Member

Thats a little more expensive then what i am looking for. I looking to spend 600 MAX on parts. Thanks for the reply though.

3. Krayzie

Krayzie AĆ©rospatiale

you should try this...

FX35 with 80-series Flowmaster muffler, stock tips, and Megan Racing resonated test pipes.

YouTube - Flowmaster & Test Pipes FX35

it will sound even better with your FX because of the extra 2 cylinders, V8;)

4. OP
    OP
    hitwolf

hitwolf Member

Exactly what i was thinking of doing! the problem is though i think the test pipes wont pass emission standards so would removing the resonator make up for that sound and be street legal?

5. sgvxcheese

sgvxcheese Member

Southern California
    infiniti fx 35
    just curious. if purchasing the flowmaster muffler. it will have to be welded onto my stock pipes yes?

6. Krayzie

Krayzie AĆ©rospatiale

Hitwolf: removing the resonators wont make up for the sound but you could get high flow cats... that might get you close to the sound

sgvxcheese: i dont really know but that is Cube's FX and he should know so if you try PMing him im sure he can help you out

7. asherchy

asherchy Premium Member Premium

get a twin turbo kit and just disconnect the exhaust at the manifold... your car will sound like a diesel bigrig

8. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    If it is just the muffler with no mid-pipe or y-pipe then the flowmaster shoulder bolt right on. But will have to extend the tips.

For wanting to spend $600 max then the flowmaster is the way to go. And I think Cube is selling his setup.

9. OP
    OP
    hitwolf

hitwolf Member

10. OP
    OP
    hitwolf

hitwolf Member

Actually i answered all the questions in my last post! but i have one more.

What would sound better the 40 or the 80 series. I was set on the 80 but i find the most of the applications are v6 so im just wondering what all of yall think.

thanks for the help!

11. wasabiz45

wasabiz45 Member

I'm currently using the 80-series muffler, matted w/ a 3" exhaust w/the resonator deleted. Also using the UTR y-pipe after the cats. Emissions is a breeze. Sound is pretty loud IMO, but not too loud like mustangs. Clean and low on idle and pretty smooth at cruising speeds. Only gets loud once you push hard on the pedal to accelerate.

12. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Any chance you can post a sound clip? i am really curious to hear how it sounds compared to the nismo exhaust...

13. OP
    OP
    hitwolf

hitwolf Member

do i need to have a utr y pipe to have my pipe after it 3 inches and, are you using the 3 inch in 80 series? and would the 40 series be louder?

14. wasabiz45

wasabiz45 Member

i'll try to get a clip in, but i doubt it will do justice since my cam really sux at taking video clips. it's similar to the Nismo exhaust, just a little deeper/lower pitched (a bit more raw sounding). It also may depend on can size. 80 series come in 2 sizes, 15" and 17". I opted for the 15 since i wasn't sure if the 17" w/the piping connected will clear my tow hitch assembly.

15. OP
    OP
    hitwolf

hitwolf Member

Is there a difference in sound between the 15 and 17?

16. wasabiz45

wasabiz45 Member

i'm pretty sure there would be a difference in sound due to a difference in chamber size, pipe size etc. my muffler is currently 3" in, and dual 2.5" out.

17. EG3

EG3 Premium Member Premium

You don't need to have it for a 3" exhaust but the y-pipe is the biggest restriction you'd have in your stock system. UTR y-pipe is almost impossible to find nowadays but you can get the same y-pipe from Kakumei. Search for a Kakumei y-pipe here and on ebay and you'll find sound clips and pricing. It says it's for the 35 but it should be compatible with your 45 as well..

18. OP
    OP
    hitwolf

hitwolf Member

Well thanks for all the help every one; I got the flowmaster installed yesterday. They ran a new 2.5 inch pipe from the y pipe, no resonator, and 2.5 inch outlets;kept the same tips. It sounds AMAZING! I love the tone of it and its such a head turner! I will get a sound clip up later for all of yall.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008