Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Engine Air Filter Comparison Test

Discussion in 'QX70 Chat' started by Krayzie, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Nice article.

3. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Very interesting ---

Who wants to start the GB on the Apexi Power CAI?

4. o_O interesting

5. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Nice read, but remember the test was done on a Supra, and on any other car the results might be entirely different (other than the filtration).
    i think the Apexi had the highest gains because of its open cone filter (suction through the middle as well where it is blocked off on the K&N)

6. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I'm looking into this apexi filter to see if there is one that will fit the LMS tube. Will see what research brings out.

7. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I agree, there are the K&N X-Stream filters with an open face. K&N filters are less expensive, but the X-Stream version starts becoming just as expensive as the Apex'i

I'm still stickin with K&N :p

8. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    1 HP difference is nothing meaningful in the big picture but I do like the no maintenance and no necessary oiling factor of the apexi, not to mention the filtration evidence.

9. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

I agree 1hp is nothing...but if you are looking for an open face filter you can check out the JWT filter, although you would still have to re-oil it.

no needed maintenance would be great...

10. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    But its also the great filtration factor that I am impressed with.

11. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Cough *** Throttle body spacer *** cough :rolleyes:
    hahahaha -

12. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    :LOL::LOL::LOL: Will

13. BTLFED

BTLFED Member

Woodstock GA
    2006 FX35 AWD
    From what I read that was also the Twin Turbo Supra, and turbo cars are a bit different from NA cars. Also, Toyota MAF Sensors don't need an oiled filter like the Nissan MAFs do. Even the factory Nissan air filters are oiled. Not using an oiled filter can prematurely burn out the MAF, and they are not cheap to replace.

14. OP
    OP
    Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

i was told that Nissan filters shouldnt be oiled and the oil can burn out the MAF...:err:

EDIT: so theres no more confusion i made a typo...meant to say...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  15. Frankiago

IL
    Paper filters are not supposed to be oiled, they are supposed to be replaced when dirty.

I'm pretty sure Nissan air filters, like 99% of OEM filters, are paper.

No MAF sensor requires an oiled filter, while some air filters require oil. That said, ALL MAF sensors require an absence of oil (aka, DON'T GET ANYTHING, INCLUDING OIL, ON THE MAF SENSOR!!!). ;)

MAF sensors just require cleanliness and to be in the path of the intake air. Get air past the MAF sensor without actually going through the MAF sensor housing and you have what's called a vacuum leak on a naturally aspirated car. This will cause a horrible idle and limp mode from lean conditions.

Get this same thing on a boosted car and you have what's called a boost leak.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  16. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

I'd be interested in the Apexi's air filter if we can figure out which universal filter fits our LMS SRI.

17. Frankiago

IL
    Easy, 3" inlet.

Anything else our engine bay can handle... it's a huge area there, I picked a random K&N filter that I looked fancy and nice, and stuck it on there. I got an open-faced one with fancy schmancy chrome trim.

BUT I don't know what will fit inside the Stillen intake box.

18. john

john Member

I'm using an apexi on my legacy gt project car. Seems I made the right choice. :)

19. CO FX

CO FX Member

The actual filtration part was interesting, especially since I have the HKS mushroom on my WRX. However, 1 whp is just noise on a dyno.

20. OP
    OP
    Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

LOL im stupid...i meant that you shouldnt use oiled filters with our MAF:wub: