Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Ebay Intake Kit (Installed with pics)

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by CO FX, Dec 28, 2007.

1. CO FX

CO FX Member

I posted this originally over on infitifx.org but I figure that I would share it here as well.

Here is a link to the same kit that I bought:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BL-03-06-INFINITI-G35-SKYLINE-RACING-AIR-INTAKE-FILTER_W0QQitemZ220154783414QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

The reason for getting the intake is that my air filter needed to be changed. Rather than spend the $40 on a decent panel filter, I decided I would try out an intake. Plus, my FX gets terrible gas mileage as it only sees city driving (16-17mpg). I was hoping that the intake will give me another .5-1.0 mpg increase which will make it worthwhile.

I know a lot of you will say things like, "ebay stuff is crap" or "I would never buy parts off ebay." That's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. I have had a lot of success (luck) buying parts off ebay in the past. After some research on the VQ35, and my experience with modding other cars, I have come to the conclusion that this intake, like most of the others, is just a 3" aluminum tube which I can't justify spending $200 on.

Installed it on October 9th and haven't had a single problem with it since. Here are some pictures:
    DSCN0974.jpg
    DSCN0975.jpg
    DSCN0976.jpg
    DSCN0977.jpg

Overall, the fit on this thing is pretty good. Even though I had an extra K&N cone filter in my garage, I ended up staying with the supplied filter because it is actually quite nice. The install took about 45 minutes. 15 minutes of that was spent trying to find the correct angle for the rubber throttle body connector so that I could get the intake filter to sit up against the intake ramp (see pics).
    The best part about it: $26 shipped!!!! I feel sorry for all of you who bought the $150-$200 intakes.

Since the install, I have noticed about a .5 to 1.0 mpg increase in fuel economy. I didn't really notice any power but I had expected that. Modding NA cars up here at altitude is pretty pointless. The noise was increased a bit at WOT but, when cruising around, it sounds stock. Overall, I am very happy with my $26 (shipped) intake!

Attached Files:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I saw this post on the org sometime ago. Glad you are happy with the intake and your bargain find. But as with all things it is relative and as long as you are happy with what you purchased then that is all that counts. Happy modding!

3. OP
    OP
    CO FX

CO FX Member

Yes it is all relative. Was I happy (satisfied) with my intake? Yes. Would I be more happy with a new set of 22's and a APS TT kit? Absolutely. But as you said, it is all relative.

I just hope the post shows that there are cheaper mod alternatives for all the VQ35 owners out there.

4. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Well I bought the LMS SRI, it's polished instead of a blue (no offense, but it doesn't look like it matches anything and sticks out pretty gawdy style) and the LMS includes a bracket that bolts right on to where the stock intake tube bolts up. It also includes a MAF sensor bung so it's one complete tube up until the filter. It was over 3 times the price, but I'd gladly pay that to have it polished and a complete tube all the way up to and including the MAF sensor.

But as for an LMS Z-tube in comparison, you're right that thing is not much different except for the option of polished/black powdercoat and that bracket I was talking about.

So in short, I just don't like the lack of a bracket to keep it secure and the fact that it's a bright blue :p Glad you tried it out though, something a lil different.

5. OP
    OP
    CO FX

CO FX Member

The blue color is terrible and it doesn't match with anything. Maybe one day I will paint it black but I rarely pop the hood on the FX though so it doesn't really bother me. I have a heavily modded WRX so I promised myself that I would leave the FX stock. With that said, this intake was just a cheaper alternative to a regular maintenance item.

As far as the bracket goes, there is one (sort of). The intake came with a bracket piece that the intake tube rests on top of. You can see it in the last picture. I put a piece of hose insulator over it so that it doesn't rub against the intake too much.

6. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

How good is the filter on an ebay kit? i still remember that link Krazyie posted with the tests from different brand filters...

7. 16-17 is aweful? i do a combination of city and highway and would be lucky to get 15. usually around 13.5

8. OP
    OP
    CO FX

CO FX Member

I think it is one of the better quality filters that I have seen out of the dozen or so ebay intake kits that I have seen for various cars. Do you have a link to that filter test?

Do you drive it hard? I guess I don't feel so bad then. My Stage 4 WRX gets 22-25mpg and it has 800cc injectors. That is why I thought my FX got bad gas mileage.

9. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Nice mod. Cool to try some new things, did it come with everything needed? Clamps and couplers?

10. OP
    OP
    CO FX

CO FX Member

It came with everything needed for install. The bracket they provided is kind of ghetto but it works.

11. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

heres the link for the thread...the link for the test is inside

Engine Air Filter Comparison Test - InfinitiScene.com

12. I wish I would have just popped off my JWT Popcharger off my Z before I traded it. Stupid me forgot about it until a week after I had the FX! Oh well, nice post, and for 26 bucks you cant go wrong.

13. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Yah I saw you originally mentioned it, and I couldn't really tell what it is you were referring to, then when you said you wrapped it with some hose insulator I realized what this "bracket" was. It works I guess... just like you said, a bit ghetto.

It's aluminum? What if you strip it down (get the cheesy blue crap off) and then have someone weld that bracket onto the bottom of it? That way when you powdercoat it, it'll look like some decent R&D went into it ;) and look nice in black as well.

14. OP
    OP
    CO FX

CO FX Member

The actual filtration part was interesting, especially since I have the HKS mushroom on my WRX. However, 1 whp is just noise on a dyno.

That would work but I don't think I'm even going to mess with painting the intake. It wouldn't have been too much work for me to sand it then hit it with a couple of coats of spray paint before I installed it.

15. OP
    OP
    CO FX

CO FX Member

I thought I would update this thread and say that I have not had any problems with this intake. It has been almost two years since I first installed it.

16. david

david Member

mississippi
    Garages:
    im with you on cheap intake! i just got a 3" diameter piece of exhaust type pipe drilled a hole for the sensor and put a adapter on the end with a cone filter--about $30 total and it has been flawless for about two years.

17. 13 posts in almost 2 years... you should come around more often. Is there any FX meets up in denver that I don't know about?

18. OP
    OP
    CO FX

CO FX Member

Not sure about FX or Inifiti meets. I'm sure the Nissan guys meet pretty regularly. I'm more into the Subaru scene and spend most of my forum time on the local club: awdpirates.net .

19. ahhh
    yeah nissan has a bunch of meets up there and down here on occasion.
    I believe it's CONOC (colorado nissan owners club)
    Mostly sentras and Z's with a few G's and one FX when i go =)

20. kakes

kakes Member

hi all, noob to the site i have been searching thru the post on intake kits i have a 06 fx 35, its bone stock except for the bigger chrome rims . heres my question for co fx what company did you get your intake kit from i followed the link but its dead. iv done some looking on ebay but i dont want to buy the wrong kit ! any and all help would be awsome