Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX45 Eating oil/ dropping in new long block

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by stupkat, Apr 26, 2016.

1. stupkat

stupkat Member

Well the 2003FX45 has been swallowing oil.... like 1qt/tank of gas. Had valve covers pulled and clean, no sludge. Going to drop in a new long block now. Any suggestions on what is a good fit and year? Will an 06 vk45de fit in place of the 2003 block? Any years get better with the piston rings? Im going to drop in a vk45de long block of some kind, just looking to get an idea of good years if I buy used instead of new and what will fit in the place with my current parts from my engine.

Thanks in advance

Car has 125k on her.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. 1bad_fx45

1bad_fx45 Member

Houston
    FX45
    did you do a leak down and/or compression test? your choice for replacement engine is either used or rebuild from 03-08. there's no new vk45 engine that you can get...

3. OP
    OP
    stupkat

stupkat Member

im going to get a re-manufactured engine. There was not a test done. Do you know the cost? I wouldn't be shocked if it was just head gaskets. how much would this cost for the test?

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

dealer tech said he thinks its in the block and the only way he thinks itll be fixed entirely is to have a new short block put in. He said a whole long block would guarantee its taken care of... seems like the way to go instead of dumping $$$ into taking stabs at whats possibly wrong when it might not be the fix.

4. Themechanic

Themechanic The World Is Yours Premium

Boston ma
    2014 qx70s
    Edwin
    Garages:
    Try changing the oil with half a bottle of lucas stabilizer. If it stops consuming slighly its the piston rings. Does it smoke?

5. porkandbeans

porkandbeans iS Dutcher iS VIP

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    Yep, I've got that same problem.
    2003 FX45. 199k miles. She's drinking a quart every 1-2 gas tanks.
    Do you have all the same symptoms? Seems like oil is getting in the engine somewhere and out the exhaust. Oil rich exhaust has clogged my cats. It's not a lot of visual smoke like a smoke bomb, but its rich raw race exhaust. (But I'm not sure how much of that is from the unfiltered clogged cats. Test pipe effect.)

FxMike likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    stupkat

stupkat Member

porkandbeans... this is identical! It ran ok, but 2 injectors went out this past week and its misfiring in 2 cylinders now. Otherwise it ran like a top still glugging down oil.
    Had leak in exhaust while back and replaced the mid pipe, otherwise it was fouling the cats. It smokes hard when you get on it once its started up and then it calms down a little, additives seem to stop it or at least minimize it. Heavy throttle seems to bog it down and it stumbles on accelleration

Maybe ill just have them tear into it and see whats up today and hope its just rings.... then ill get new rings, gaskets, and toss on some heads to cover all the damn bases with it.

7. porkandbeans

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    Sounds right. It runs "okay" in what I call 2-stroke mode. Performance is a bit sluggish and mpg has decreased from mid-16's to mid-14's. Exhaust is definitely oil rich when I stomp on it, but never any plooms of blue or white smoke.
    I have no known problems with injectors or misfires. My valve covers were recently replaced by the dealer. I was hoping the leaking valve covers were part of the early issue. but I guess not. I do have a high idle, so not sure how much of that relates to poor mpg and rich exhaust. (pedal dance hasn't been working).
    I've tried different oil brands with no change. Was going to stop dropping oil additives next. Maybe I'll get a compression check today.

8. OP
    OP
    stupkat

stupkat Member

I had a high idle too, in 50 degree weather it idles around 1000-1200 but recently was down low closer to 500 and kinda rough, assuming due to misfires. I had a compression test done around the time it started eating oil, before it really picked up and all cylinders came back good from the dealer. I had the valve covers done recently too hoping it would be the problem, they were clean, and it still smokes and is rough. I tried everything with oils, valvoline, mobil1, royal purple, 5w30/ 10w30/ 10w40 and honestly didnt make a difference in how much it was consuming. Additives stopped the smoke but never really put a huge slow down in the amount of oil being eaten.

Talked to the tech again this morning, hes confident that breaking into it we could do valve covers, and shoot for gaskets and piston rings and stop everthing. So im going to go that route now, i assume they wanted to drop the new block in just because they didnt want to do any machine work or clean up the burnt oil mess inside.

9. porkandbeans

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    At a shop today getting my starter replaced, I inquired about the engine issue. Mostly for their input... not really a place I'd take it to for major engine work.
    They had no interest in tearing into an engine, and that's fine. They would do an engine swap and did however call around but were unable to find a used engine: no surprise. He was able to find a re-manufactured engine and quoted me $13,500 parts and labor. Like I said, this was not a place I would have given the job of major work to anyways.

10. OP
    OP
    stupkat

stupkat Member

Dealer just called me and said the same. They quoted me 22h labor and brought price down to $2,499 for labor to install a new block or used engine. Found some engines online and contemplating next steps...might toss a bunch of rislone in the bitch and dump it on another dealer for a g37x once it stops smoking. Going to spend the weekend and tomorrow doing hard research on what the next steps will be. Found some remanufactured long blocks online for around $4k. So esentially $6500 has a fresh block all hooked up at the dealer.

11. myron02

myron02 Member

Canada
    2007 fx35
    6500? Seems like too much money to spend on a 2003 FX. Unless its modded show car or has some crazy sentimental value. You could probably pick up a used engine and have some independent shop do the swap. Then trade it in after or sell it and buy a new ride. dropping 6500 is crazy talk

12. OP
    OP
    stupkat

stupkat Member

does anyone know if an 06-07 block will fit the 03? IMO it should, dealer was hesitant.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Im not going to drop the refurb block into it... maybe a used engine and do that. Just gotta find one I like with a warranty of some kind

13. porkandbeans

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    Your prices seem right to me. ~$4000+ for the motor plus ~$2500 for install is what I've heard without doing serious research. When/if the time comes, that's probably what I'll do. But that's not in the near future. IMO, it's simply too good of a car to dump off.

14. 1bad_fx45

1bad_fx45 Member

Houston
    FX45
    if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time then go with a used motor with 30 to 90-day warranty like you said and try to find it locally. this is because if you got a bad motor from online then you'll have to pull it out, ship it back and be without a vehicle for months. personally, i would just do a temporary fix and trade/sell it. an 03 fx45 with compatible millage seems to go for around $6-7K anyway.

15. OP
    OP
    stupkat

stupkat Member

Found used engine block with compression below:
    [h=3]COMP 230 190 200 200 225 215 200 210[/h]Where should it read? the 190 is decent stdev from the others imo

16. OP
    OP
    stupkat

stupkat Member

Thanks for this link! Was looking for this on google and couldnt find it. Im going to hope its carbon build up. Pics of the car in the scrap yard it looks pretty clean and exhaust pipes arent black.

17. OP
    OP
    stupkat

stupkat Member

Anyone know if the vk45de from a 2006 fx45 will fit into the 2003? If using just the long block and the 2003 intake manifold and hoses/piping will it fit?

18. low88111

low88111 Member

San Francisco
    2004 FX45
    I was wondering for those who use any additives like lucas stabilizer or any other oil additive (STP High Mileage oil Treatment, Slick 50, Motor Honey, Restore Engine, Marvel Mystery Oil, Rislone Engine Additive, Prolong, etc) to slow the the burning of oil, how were the results? I figure if I put something in the oil to slow the burning, it would be better than to keep topping off my oil. By the time I do my oil change at 5000 miles I almost already added enough oil I needed to do the oil change. Makes me wonder if I should just change the oil filter only when the 5000 mark comes since I'm adding fresh oil in it. I'm adding roughly a quart per 1000 miles and I'm also using Rotella t6

19. Murphcm

Murphcm Member

Minneapolis
    2003 FX45
    Chris
    I am also curious if anyone has used an oil additive with positive results? Obviously there are a ton of options out there, and would like to know if one helped without eating away at the head gasket or any other seals. I have 119k miles and burning about a quart every 800 miles using Royal Purple 10W30, and its not cheap, so id like to slow the bleeding! I would like to get another 30k miles out of it before I sell it, and a burning smell coming through the vents when someone punches it isn't going to help... ha ha