Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

QX70 09+ DIY: VIDEO!! Installing Weathertech window visors with no hassle.

Discussion in 'QX70 Write-Ups' started by neva4self, Oct 21, 2013.

1. neva4self

neva4self Member

Car:
    2009 FX50
    Garages:
    Here is a video of me installing the Weathertech window visors on my 09 FX50. I have to honest and say that I don't really understand how so many people are saying they are having trouble with the installation. I will touch on a few things I noticed about what some have complained about.

Quick side note: I used baby wipes to clean the weather channel out on each door almost to the point of no dirt coming off on the baby wipe before I did the install. I also cleaned the top of the windows off, all the way across the top and down about three inches inside an out.

Firstly, in the video you will see that when I first attempted to roll up the front window after installing the visor, the window did hit the back edge of the visor, detect that something was blocking it and roll back back down. Now a lot of people complained about this happening and I have to say in my honest opinion it just seems like a bit of impatience. I only say this because it was very clear that the window did this because the visor was still brand new and has a bit of conforming to do before it sits in the weather channel flawlessly. THE INSTRUCTIONS DO STATE: after installing the visor and rolling up the window slowly WITHOUT using the auto up feature, WHICH MAY HAVE TO BE DONE BY USING BOTH HANDS TO GUIDE THE WINDOW UP if it keeps rolling back down on its own, let the window sit in the closed position for at least 12 hours so that the visor can conform and force the weather channel to conform to it. If the window does roll back down simply look at why it is happening, for me IT ONLY HAPPENED ON THE PASSENGER SIDE and it was happening because the window was making contact with a tiny portion of the visor near the rear. It looks like it is highly unlikely to happen after letting it sit for a while with the window rolled up. It looks like the plastic visor needed to conform. SUGGESTION: If you experience this problem, it is easier to sit inside the car, and use your middle finger to push the visor outward with a LITTLE pressure. You only need a little pressure, most likely near the rear of the window/visor, because the window is rolling back down after it is making contact with the visor. Pushing the visor out until the window clears the bottom part of the visor on the way up will eliminate this problem. This method is easier than using both hands to guide the window up like the instructions suggest.

Secondly, in the video I was able to duplicate that loud popping or cracking noise that some have said they heard when installing the front visor and rolling the window up. Again this looks like the visor was just popping into it's final position to conform to the weather channel. I rolled both windows back down a little just to confirm that nothing cracked and it did not. I was paying close attention to it when it happened in the video since the noise had already occurred on the driver side. You do not see me rolling the windows back down to check in the video because I originally wasn't go roll the windows back down at all but I ended up having to do so because it got dark before I finally parked my car and my tints are too dark to park the way I park without rolling the windows down some. TO AVOID THE WINDOWS HITTING THE VISOR ANYWHERE AFTER I ROLLED THEM DOWN: I simply put my finger on the visor from the inside of the car and pushed outward with very little pressure, just enough pressure for the window to clear the visor where they would first come into contact. No issues.

Lastly, for the rear visors INSTALLING THE CLIPS CORRECTLY and placing the visor in the clips correctly is the key. IF YOU DO NOT MAKE SURE THAT YOU INSTALL THE VISOR ON TOP OF THE CLIPS, so you DO NOT see any part of the clips form the outside after the installation, then the rear visor will be lose and will not be firmly held in place. I've read some post's where some people have gotten offended and said that they know how to read instructions and they are doing it right, well no disrespect but if your rear visor is lose, you are NOT doing it right. I tried installing the visor the wrong way just to see if that was why it was loose for some and sure enough, even though I don't show it in the video, if you put the visor in the weather channel and also INSIDE the clips, the visor will be very lose and fall out of place by simply touching it. YOU CAN SEE IN THE VIDEO: where I pulled on the rear visor, pushed on it and slapped it around a little and it is very sturdy if installed correctly. THE CLIP GOES IN THE WEATHER CHANNEL WITH THE CLIPS REAR ACTUALLY SITTING IN THE LIP OF THE WEATHER CHANNEL AND THE FRONT CURVED PART OF THE CLIP STICKING OUT OF THE WEATHER CHANNEL. The visor then sits ON TOP of, not inside of the clip while you push the visors machined top into the weather channel.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE CLIPS FOR REAR WINDOWS. I ONLY GOT TO INSTALL THE REAR VISOR YOU SEE ME INSTALL IN THE VIDEO BECAUSE WHILE I WAS DOING THE OTHER SIDE I DIDN'T HOLD ONTO ONE OF THE CLIPS TIGHTLY AND THE WEATHER STRIP POPPED BACK AND SENT THE CLIP FLIPPING INTO MY CARS BACK SEAT. I COULDN'T FIND IT EVEN AFTER PULLING THE SEAT UP A LITTLE. I CALLED WEATHERTECH AND THEY ARE SHIPPING ME ANOTHER CLIP FREE OF CHARGE BUT I WILL NOT INSTALL THE OTHER REAR INCORRECTLY, NOT EVEN FOR THE TIME BEING, SO FOR NOW I'VE ONLY GOT ONE INSTALLED IN THE BACK LOL.

Anyway I hope this video helps all those having issues and all those second guessing the purchase because some have made these visors seem impossible. Other than losing a clip this install was fairly easy. Enjoy!! Oh and excuse the car being dirty I did this video with an air cast on a broken left foot so I haven't been able to show my baby any love with a hand wash in a while. I haven't even had the chance to take my summer wheels off yet.

[video=youtube;rCMvYfWJMvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCMvYfWJMvU[/video]

@2:46 I meant the weather visor is installed from front to back.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dracula

Dracula Premium Member Premium

Car:
    2004 FX35 RWD
    Name:
    Andy
    Garages:
    very informative, great video!

3. OP
    OP
    neva4self

neva4self Member

Car:
    2009 FX50
    Garages:
    I'm going to repost this video in a few, YouTube asked me if I wanted them to stabilize the video a little and I said yes but in turn they formatted the video weird and cut the top and bottom off in some spots especially for the rear install. I will leave this one posted for the time being.

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Video fixed.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  4. GEE50FX

GEE50FX The Traveller iS VIP

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    Great vid, thanks for posting this up :good:

5. pmanliu

pmanliu iS VIP iS VIP

Car:
    2017 WRX
    Garages:
    Great video! From a quick glance at the title i thought you had made a DIY on installing weathertech flooor mats and was confused at first :rotfl:

6. porkandbeans

porkandbeans iS Dutcher iS VIP

Car:
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    Nice video. I'm sure that will help people out.

7. OP
    OP
    neva4self

neva4self Member

Car:
    2009 FX50
    Garages:
    Thanks fellas. Just a quick update: I just rolled my windows down and back up after almost 24hrs of having the visors installed. The windows rolled up smoothly with no issues whatsoever. I will post an update video soon showing how the windows look rolling up after sitting for awhile with the visors installed.

8. kevin kao tw

kevin kao tw Member

Car:
    2009 FX35 AWD
    good job! look not bad!

9. OP
    OP
    neva4self

neva4self Member

Car:
    2009 FX50
    Garages:
    ~~~~~~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~~~~~

Sadly I must report that now after almost 48hrs of having both front windows rolled up. I again purposely rolled my front windows down and up over and over to put the visors through the motions and test whether the visor would affect the windows functionality during normal operation. The passenger window, after being rolled up and down about 10 times, started to hit the bottom off the visor, toward the rear, where it rests in the weather channel. Basically if you watch the video the window is doing what it did when I first tried to roll it up. It makes contact with the visor and is force stopped just enough to detect the stoppage and start rolling back down. This was happening using the auto up feature. I continued to roll it up and down but started doing it manually and slowly little by little and the window pushed its way past the visor what appeared to be smoothly but it started making a noise that sounds like when you scrape broken glass across glass. I inspected the window and the visor thoroughly, and neither is broken or cracked but the window had a little bit of fine white dust shavings from the visor sitting on top. The window is pretty much making so much contact with the visor that it is creating little plastic shavings from the visor on top of the window. The little shavings in turn is causing a slight scraping sound when the window rolls up past the contact point. After looking closer it looks like overall the passenger visor just doesn't fit as well as the driver side does. It's not so far off that its ridiculous and if I was handy with that sort of thing, it looks like if I shaved down the side of the visor that is making contact with the window just a little bit, it would allow the window to roll all the way up smoothly. I must also note that my drivers side window is not having any issues whatsoever and actually rolls up really smoothly, like it should. So I have to say there is definitely some fitting issues that WeatherTech may need to address but they are very minor. It seems like maybe my passenger visors weather channel lip was not machined down as well as my driver's side was. As far as the back windows go, the clips that hold the visor in place minimize the visors contact with the window a little, so no issues in the rear.

I am going to call WeatherTech tomorrow and ask for an exchange of the front passenger visor. I will keep you guys updated as I go along.

On another note it rained in NY today and at 58 degrees it was too warm for the heat but not hot enough out for the AC. I cracked my driver side window a little more than half way down the length of the WeatherTech visor and it performed excellent. I actually felt the air coming in and it was just enough to circulate around the car and keep the windows from fogging. Also seems like it would allow me to talk on the FX's bluetooth with my winows cracked without sounding to the other person like I was trapped in a plastic shopping bag in a wind storm lol. For the time being this is my new favorite mod.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. OP
    OP
    neva4self

neva4self Member

Car:
    2009 FX50
    Garages:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  11. OP
    OP
    neva4self

neva4self Member

Car:
    2009 FX50
    Garages:
  12. santiagodraco

santiagodraco Member

Car:
    2010 FX 50s
    Garages:
    Was hoping to see the original install video to get an idea of what they look like. Any reason it's now marked private?

13. GEE50FX

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    I don't think he has them on his FX anymore.
    I returned mine because of all the fitment problems that others were having with them.

14. santiagodraco

santiagodraco Member

Car:
    2010 FX 50s
    Garages:
    Ah ok. So sounds like in general they aren't recommended after all? Just wanting to be sure. I was thinking of picking up a set if they were working out for folks. Thanks!

15. GEE50FX

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    Yes, the 1st Gen Weathertech work great but there has been problems with the 2nd Gen fitment.

16. CMB4

CMB4 Member

Car:
    17 Q70
    Name:
    Chris
    Garages:
    Any update on the fitment of these or any others that are better?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.