Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Diet..

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by CycoDK, Nov 23, 2007.

1. CycoDK

CycoDK Member

Qatar
    Im trying to put my car on a diet..anyone have any idea how to make the FX's reduce weight?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Light-weight 18" rims, remove rear seats, remove jack/spare/subwoofer, replace cats with non-resonated test pipes, replace cat-back exhaust with a lightweight titanium exhaust, replace intake with something like the LMS CAI, remove the air conditioner including its tensioner pulley and the belt of course :p, remove the heater core, change to a lightweight battery

That's probably all the weight you can trim off while still having a functional FX, meanwhile only saving maybe.... 400-450 lbs.

Along with the wheels, you can switch to lightweight aluminum pulleys and save even more off of the actual rotating mass.

3. asherchy

asherchy Premium Member Premium

fill the whole cab with helium...

4. Frankiago

IL
    Hydrogen is even lighter ;)

5. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Thats pretty good! im sure you would see significant gains with your 1/4 mile with weight savings like that...

6. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    I removed around 100 pounds from my fx, but not really much you can remove without going crazy.

I did:

Rear tow hook, child seat restraints, middle seatbelt = 7.6lbs
    Spare tire 45lbs
    rear wiper and motor 4lbs
    screw in tow hook 1.4lbs
    jack and jack tools 9.5lbs

total 67.5lbs

Rear wood cover 17lbs

total 84.5 lbs

Braille B3121 battery 20lbs savings

total 104.5 lbs

7. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:

8. Frankiago

IL
    [​IMG]

Get one of these... it has integrated weight saving in stock form. If you were to put our motor into one of these, it'd do 0-60 in approx. 3.5 seconds

9. EG3

EG3 Premium Member Premium

The best way (from the list above) to be is to get lighter wheels, get rid of runflats if you have, get lightweight pulleys and stop yourself :)

If you don't want to stop, go to a carbonfiber, errr, place and get a carbonfiber roof (trashing your roof + losing sunroof), get carbonfiber fenders (trashing fenders), get carbonfiber hood (don't forget the pins).. Also, if your car is not black, you'll get a cool (ricer-cool) patchy look

If you want to exaggerate, go to dymag, get custom made carbonfiber-magnesium wheels for $8000-$9000 for a set :err: They'd weigh about 10 lbs each so about 240-250 lbs savings from just there. Plus you'll get about 400-500 from all the carbon (also minus $10000 from your vallet) and there you go :) Now you have a fully functional FX with rear seats (and without sunroof), lighter than a g35 for the price of a used g35 ;)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  10. EG3

oh I forgot.. If you scratch your carbon wheels, they're "repairable" :biggrin:

11. OP
    OP
    CycoDK

CycoDK Member

Qatar
    I didn't know they made carbon fibers for FX's.. exspecially the hood, I want that!!:p

Thanks..Ill look up for the hood, know any sites??:confused:

12. EG3

they don't :) you have to go, "donate" your hood for molding (ie, trash it) and pay tons of money.. The first paragraph and the more logical things people have said (spare tire, wood in the back etc) are the best way. You won't lose too much weight without compromising functionality really.