Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Custom Grounding Kit

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Write-Ups' started by fxlr8, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Here is my write up on my custom grounding kit.

As of now it is only a 6 wire kit, I will be changing it to a 7 wire kit as soon as I figure how I will run my 7th wire to the transmission.

Tools:
    10mm wrench
    10mm Socket
    Flat head screwdriver

4 Gauge wire
    4 Gauge ring connectors ( I used regular non-gold ones, but you can use gold if you choose )
    1/2" Heat Shrink
    Zip-Ties

My main goal was to use black and try to keep a factory look.

I first went to the car and figured out how I wanted to run my wires. I then made a set of wires using my measurements.

I made my wires the following sizes:
    1= 29"
    2= 29"
    3= 14"
    4= 14"
    5= 13"
    6= 11"
    7= Pending

Here are some pics.

Disconnect the negative cable from your battery and leave it off throughout the whole process

1)
    Remove the plastic battery cover and also the plastic housing of the battery. You can remove the plastic around the battery by prying off the little black screw looking things with your flathead screwdriver.

2)
    1st wire I connected was the 11" wire from the negative battery terminal to the original ground location of the battery.

3)
    Second wire connected was the 29" wire, this will be connected also from the original battery ground location

4)
    I then routed the wire and mounted it to a factory ground area beneath the power steering fluid resevoir.

5)
    Now I connected one of the 14" wires also beneath the power steering fluid and ran it to the engine.

6)
    At the engine you will also connect the 2 other wires. The other 13" and 14" wire.
    The second 14" wire will connect to the front of the engine where alot of the factory ground wires connect.

7)
    The 13" wire will run along the left side of the plenum to the back and will be connected to the plenum as shown in the picture.

8)
    We now grab the last 29" wire and this will connect also in the front of the engine where the factory ground wires are and the other 14" wire. You then route this wire beneath the intake air sensor and mount it on the right side of the engine compartment where there is a factory grounding point.

9)
    ===PENDING=== this is where I will post the final wire, the 7th wire when I finally connect it.

You can now zip-tie everything up to your liking.

So far this is what I have.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ================================

Sorry all pictures are lost, thread closed.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Would like to see the connector to the Tranny....

Is this something that you have done Jeff? Thanks. Just want to know where I will be able to access the Trany

3. OP
    OP
    fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    Truthfully I never got the transmission grounded. Never even thought about it after getting the stillen s/c'r. Should not be that hard though if you can get under the car.

4. HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    I think I should of thought this through before I posted the original question.

My question is, Where do I attach the Cable to on the Transmission. I hope someone like Pierce can just post a pic of tha section and I will be fine.

Thanks again Jeff...

5. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

Pierce may have to jack the car off the ground to get that picture

6. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I posted pictures in that other thread today. But this is the picture for the tranny. I know it is too close to tell the correct orientation. But this is on the driver's side. It was pretty difficult to get at, but if you have a commercial jack it should not be an issue. At the time I only had the jack that came with the FX and it was basically ALL the way up and it did not look too solid in that position :LOL:.

Tranny.jpg

And that wire came from one of these

Cable1and6.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

i currently have 7 wire kit and have 3 sets of connectors left from when i made it, i think i should do the tranny wire this weekend:rolleyes: thx for the pics

ill take some measurements so we can fill in that 7th wire spot in the "How To"

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  8. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Did you guys do the TCU and ECU?

9. Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

not me, didnt want to put any holes going inside that would mess anything up...its not my car;) might consider it though...

10. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I just used electrical tape and wrapped it up nice and tight and have not had any issues even after hundreds of car washes and rainy days.

11. HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Thanks Doc.

I actually got a hold of Randy and he tells me that he will try to help me out on this mod when he get's a chance.

I will start and he will help me do the follow through.

12. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Once the wires are made installing them just takes a little time but it isn't rocket science.

13. OP
    OP
    fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    When I ran wires in my car by the battery I actually used silicone adhesive and also covered the area with a wal-mart bag:p.. You can't see the bag anyways. Also there is a hole in the panel above that area, I also plugged that with some silicone. Never had any problems with water in the cabin.

14. HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Very good to know....

Just want to cover all my facts before I have Randy help me to tackle this MOD.

15. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Any mesurements on the 7th wire? And how to do it?

16. Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

you know what, ive been putting off doing the 7th wire for soo long that tomorrow ill work on it if its not raining!!

LOL, i wrote that 2 months ago ^^

17. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

lol, I'm looking forward to class.;)

I'm originally from Victoria so I know what you mean by raining.:LOL:

thnx Krayzie.

18. Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

well it turns out the wire i had left was too short for the 7th wire, gonna have to go get some more

19. Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

i tried to do my 7th wire for the tranny but the cable was too short so i came up with this....for some reason in all the DIY's for grounding kits, nobody grounds to the right side of the chassis. (its the bottom wire of the two)

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Nicely done Krayzie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.