Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

can you fit a 295/45/20 on stock 20X8" wheel?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by SanQ, Aug 1, 2007.

1. SanQ

SanQ Member

WA
    is 295mm tooooo wide for 20X8"?

anyone've done it?

thx

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I would Imagine some major buldging on the sidewalls

3. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    I've had 295/45/20's on a 20x8.5 and that was terrible. Always felt like I was driving on flats, responsiveness of the steering was crap. Switched out my 295's for 275/45/20's and that was waaaayyyyy better.

4. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Its nice to have some protection for the wheels from some side wall bulge but not to where you will sacrifice ride quality and handling. You may want to rethink that size.

5. When selecting or plus sizing your tires and wheels, always look at the manufacture's application chart for the recommended wheel width range and overall rolling diameter. Proper fitment for a 295 should be around the 10.5" range. Too narrow of a wheel you will have the tires buldge out the side. That is dangerous because the bead may not sit well or have proper support under lateral load. That is why most of the time in this situation you get that squirly or wiggly feel. Too wide of a wheel for the tire and you'll get the stretched look. Same principles apply here as well with the fact that you may roll the bead off the wheel in extreme cases.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  6. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

I do remember a thread on the org about bfg 295s on the stock wheels and bad sidewall flex. I wouldn't recommend doing this tire sizing onto an 8" wheel.

7. On a 8" wheel even 275s are pushing it.

8. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Well we do have 265's as stock oem tires on the 8in oem wheels so I think 275 should be ok but at its limit. I wouldn't suggest any wider.

9. Given that every tire manufacture is a bit different, I'll use Toyo's application chart as an example because they have one of the most extensive fitment ranges, you can pretty much tell what the proper wheel fitment is for 275s. Looking at the T1R for the sizes of 275/40/18, 275/30/18, 275/35/19, and 275/30/20, the wheel width ranges are all 9.0-10.5 or 11. Ideally for the optimal sizing you want to be in the middle say around 10". I'm sure 275s will technically work on our OEM 8"s but what is physically possible does not make it the correct or safest application.

I'm really not trying to argue with anybody or say what is right or wrong. It's just that I've been on several boards over the years and tire and wheel fitment questions are one the most common and misinformed topics because people go by what so and so say they are running vs. what is the correct application set forth by the industry and manufactures. It's actually very easy to answer these questions if people would just take the time and read the application charts.

10. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Do not think twice about it Z33 as healthy discussions are always good for a forum as it brings out the most information. You make very good points and I agree with all of them. But there is a variable that different tire manufacturers have different fitment ranges and some can work well for the FX. Also, many on the org have experimented with wider tire sizes and have had no real performance issues. Also, since we are all enthusiasts here it would be beneficial to experiment and see what can and cannot work for the FX. :biggrin:

11. I'm still new to the FX so I not going to sit here and pretend that I know everything about it ...as for G35s and 350Zs..well that's a different story :wub::LOL: j/k. But you are right, tires have different specs from one brand to another and it's always good to check the application charts if you are not sure. It's sometimes difficult to nail down proper fitment because even the same size tires will yield different results based on the tire construction, compound, and overall specs. Case in point I use to run 285/35/19s on the back of my Z. I know for a fact that some tires will clear my suspension on a +18 offset and some won't. Many times it's a matter of trial and error from owners experimenting. I guess my main reason for sounding like I'm reciting out of a owner's manual is because the OP's question regarding 295s is way beyond the relms of opinions. When the time comes for me to get some wheels for my FX I'll probably be hitting up the experts (you guys) for some help.

12. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Well I hope we helped out SanQ with his question without going too off tangent here. All good info though.:rolleyes:

13. the moral of this thread is if SanQ wants to run some gansta 295s then he needs to pony up some $$$ and get some aftermarket wheels instead of trying to squeeze them on his OEMs :rofl::LOL:

14. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

dude you're going to have major sidewall bulge with that tire size. not to mention how poorly its going to drive.

15. OP
    OP
    SanQ

SanQ Member

WA
    thanks for all the answers.

I am running 295/45/20 on a set of axis milano+ 20X9.5. I kinda want to go back to stock rims, but keep the nicer tires. so from all the answers, I will just forget about it and move on to a new set of 22" D:

16. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Will love to see your new 22's when you get them on!:biggrin: