Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

caliper painting....?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by jbaker1121, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    i saw trainerken's thread about it, but that was mostly about pricing. i was just wondering like what kind of paint should be used, or what i should ask them to use when i go to get them done. some gearheads in my school just spray painted theirs but thats obv. no good. others said powdercoat, others said regular paint.....

guys want to help?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    There are special caliper paint that you can use. I have seen it sold at autozone and other automotive shops. Don't know exactly which brand but I know others here have painted their calipers with this special paint.

3. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    is it basically like a spraypaint type of thing though? will it still ahev the professional look to it or will it look cheap (im checking onlien for it now btw)

4. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  5. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    You can do multiple coats and if you take your time it will come out alot better.

And yes any of those should work fine.

6. Deecarp

Deecarp Premium Member Premium

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Doc is correct you can buy the paint at auto zone, napa, etc and it will say caliper paint. I did mine a while back and only used 2 coats. easy to clean and wash and they still look good. The job is easy, but it does require you to remove your wheels and if you choose your calipers. All kits come with instructions, brush, etc... and will need what ever the time is desire to cure the finish. The results depend on you and your patients.

morepics2005.jpg
    morepics2004.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I highly recommend the G2 caliper paint. They even have, included in the kit, instructions on how to redeem their warranty. They have a LIFETIME warranty against fading, chipping, peeling, cracking, you name it. All you have to do is clean them with a wet rag every so often... I was impressed by that.

Either way, I used G2 and it turned out great.

8. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Man Deecarp! I've never seen these shots before, looks awesome! I wants!!!

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    sounds like i'm getting the G2 paint then. do you guys think RED will be too tacky? cuz i think it would look sick.

what shoud l i use to clean the calipers before i paint them

how long does a good ol' curing take?

10. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Don't think I ever said hello to you and welcomed you to the Scene.

The G2 caliper Paint comes with a kit that will give you a spray that you can use to clean your calipers. This should only take you about 10 mins. for each Caliper.

Try to apply a rough first and second coat to your calipers and then make the final 3rd coat a day or two after.

Detail is very important no matter what color you use. Make sure to take your time and apply Painters tape to those small areas of the break pads. Dee's came out great.

On you DG fx I suggest you use black and then have them decaled...

Mod on Brother..;)

11. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

Hmm... How hard would it be to paint the calipers with the calipers still connected to the rotors. Should the calipers be removed? Can you do it without removing the calipers?

12. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Yes, you can paint the callipers without removing the calipper from your disk set up. Like I said, you would have to be very patient and precise when you apply the paint in order for it to look OEM..

13. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

Thanks, Humberto.

I will try this next weekend and pray for good results. Sounds like s cheap and fun appearance mod:cool:

14. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    thanks humberto!
    you did welcome me to the scene..just unofficially lol.
    its gonna take me forever to do it becaus ei only have 1 jack, ill have to jack up each wheel at a time.... :(. i think i may just pay the guys at the sHop in town to do it LOL. SOMETIMES IM NOT VERY PATIENT

15. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    It looks cheesy as heck if you don't atleast take off the calipers. It makes for a LOT more work, but end result is you don't have that cheesy look with small spatters on the edge of the rotor or on the pads or the pad clips... I had to buy 2 kits and do it on 2 separate days because I took THAT long to do it.

G2 caliper paint has only 4 hours of working time, meaning after 4 hours after mixing the 2 part epoxy-style paint together (paint + hardener/reactor) it's almost unusable and jello-like.

I'll get better pics when I got the 20's on ;)

View attachment 137618
    View attachment 137621

16. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    this is one of the times i want like a mini-shop in my house. i have none of the tools i need lol. i guess ill be doing yet naothe rtrip to the autoshop in town....

17. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I would just powdercoat and be done with it. Took mine to local shop (LMS), who sent out the calipers to powdercoaters. Turn around time was 2-3 days but the FX was there for other stuff too. Powdercoat cost me $300.00 plus new shims for the calipers and labor to LMS I think was $150.00.

18. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    yea your probably right, but
    1. i dotn think anyone in my area would charge that little
    2. i dont think anyone in my area even does that....but im going to find out

if i cant find anyone near me im just gonna have whoever does my spacers paint them up for me...i went out and picked up the duplicolor kit (only one i can find) for $20, so idk. i hope i can find a place that does powdercoating.

19. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    and maybe i can leave my fx at whatever shop i find the same time i'm getting my ecu done...because either way i cant use it for a couple of days...hmmm i gotta think about it.

ill probabyl go wth the powder coat, if i can find aplace

20. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Cool, let us know ow it went and post pictures of the final install =)