Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

burlwood dash trimming

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by trainerKEN, Jul 27, 2007.

1. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

Has anyone had this done? I'm curious to how the quality is... If there's one thing about my FX that I don't like it would be the Alum. Dash/Console that scratches so damn easily... I just did it again by accident with my key... anyway, I'm thinking about getting the burlwood trimming done... there's a seller on eBay that looks pretty good... supposedly they sell to car dealerships/makers too....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=230152949827&rd=1

they don't really provide a picture of an FX's interior with the installed trimming.. but here's pic. from another seller I found on freshalloy.com

The scratches are starting to bother me... a couple by me, and some smaller ones by the previous owner. :shame:

[​IMG]

the one on eBay is A LOT cheaper...

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I bought a dash kit a LONG time ago and never installed it. I'm waiting on finishing my relocation (a year later and I still don't have it done lol... thanks to motor!) and then I'm gonna put in the dash kit along with the new shifter panel.

The one thing I don't like about these kits is the finish. Of course they're fake, but why do they make the clear so thick and GLOSSY? Real wood isn't glossy, so why should this be :shame:

I don't know about that specific kit, but you're bound to have small fitment issues here and there with eBay kits that I've seen (on a Nissan Pathfinder).

3. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

hmmmmm, they say "real wood", I figure it's just a clear coating

4. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    MAZZUR has had this done on his ride...

///215&highlight=addiction

If you do go with this mod...
    I was thking of doing this mod with the Matt Zebra Wood Finish...

5. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

I like that, it looks good!!

6. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
  7. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

^^^that's where I got the picture from actually

I'm just sick of the scratches in the center console... I've only had this car for 4 months... and it's just going to get worst.

8. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Oooops lol didn't even notice that. You can always just get a new center console.

9. I was never a fan of wood trims. I always go for the sportier look in the aluminum. I have the etched aluminum and so far it's pretty good against scratches.

10. da mayor

da mayor Member

wooddealerwheat.jpg

we do the burlwood on a lot of vehicles on the showroom. The FX is popular because my clients don't really like the Aluminum trim :wub:

i'll take a pic of the FX w/ the full wood kit which is a nice look

Attached Files:

11. mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    i bought a kit recently for my wife's 07 sentra from ebay. the quality is very good, and the kit is more like a thick sticker with a layer of glossy layer. the fitting is a little off, but the seller is willing to replace any part if needed (will require tracing the part and mailing the template). i picked japanese cherry since it resembled our former 95 maxima trim. also, the sentra interior is too gray and plasticky. here's a set of before and after.

driverdashbefore.jpg
    before.

woodnoflash.jpg
    after. i decided to keep the "wood" minimal.

ventsangle.jpg
    another with vent trims added, actually masked during the pic and just installed it earlier.

i like our fx' aluminum trim and i have the same scratches you mentioned. i suggest a darker wood trim if you are still considering them. also look into the molded trims that looks more oem. the other companies mentioned so far seem to be higher quality too.

Attached Files:

12. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

thats probably the only aftermarket wood kit i really like. not too much wood but it looks kinda classy

Attached Files:

13. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

which eBay vender is it, if you don't mind me asking... I'm curious if its the same one that I'm looking at.

Attached Files:

14. FanatiX

FanatiX Member

If you are thinking of putting wood around the view screen and control area up top - remember that there are words printed on the upper console. I have heard that some kits do not offer printing on their trim so you cover the button function description - such as which way to turn the vent wheel to close the air flow. They say they offer it, (factory printing), here http://www.sherwooddash.com/, as an example. I don't know about their quality, and don't endorse them particularly. It may not matter to some but I want to see the original display.

15. mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    the vendor is caraccessories_4_less. i just recall too that you can request for samples before making a purchase. other vendors seem to be selling the same kits (based on the pics and their info on their listing).

16. FX45_05

FX45_05 Member

I had this kit in an 05 and want to get it for my 2006. I almost got the glossy one, but wanted something different.

17. mtbfx

mtbfx Member

monterey park
    Garages:
    now im looking into this to update the silver/black interior and cover the scratches and bumps on the aluminum. anyone did this lately, please post pics. im considering ash/gray colored trim.

18. Jason B

Jason B Member

USA
    This is a very nice kit and gives a different look. Also, this one has been very popular, real wood, with a deep 3d look.

fx_red_wood1.jpg

fx_wood4.jpg

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=FX35-45_real_red_woo

Also, there is the silver factory matched aluminum kit, if you want to stay with silver.

fx_alum_wradio.jpg

fx_alum_pvent.jpg

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=FX35-45_factory_mtc

Attached Files:

19. ocuriel

ocuriel Member

I love the kit from Burtman Industries...But i have the 2 tone black and orange interior (not sure what the exact color is called) im not sure if I sould go with the flat Zebra or the Carbon Fiber. What do you guys think?

20. gmgagne

gmgagne Member

Potomac Falls, VA
    09 FX50S 06 FX45
    Greg
    thats called brick and black