Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Brake Rotors - What to get

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by Chedman13, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    Okay, I'm losing sleep over what rotors to get. I have hit the time to replace my rotors and pads so wondering if I should keep the same setup.

I currently have OEM rotors and Akebono pads. I already purchased Akebono pads for the front and rears as I'm very happy with the quiet performance over OEM pads.

Now, what rotors to get? If safety and quiet performance is top priority, any suggestions (cross drilled, slotted, cross drilled and slotted, plain)?

The company I bought my HKS mid-pipe is selling Rotora rotors:
    Slotted Front Rotors: $260 pair shipped
    Slotted Rear Rotors: $240 pair shipped
    Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors: $290 pair shipped
    Drilled/Slotted Rear Rotors: $270 pair shipped

RotorPros (http://www.rotorpros.com/) has all the variations for around $250 shipped for Front and Rear which is an great price.

Then there are Power Slot (http://www.powerslot.com/), stop tech (http://www.stoptech.com/), stillen (www.stillen.com), etc..and the many other ebay rotors.

Only reason I'm not 100% sure on getting OEM rotors is that they're basically the same price of the aftermarkets. Someone who loves their rotors, let me know!!

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

I don't have much experience with all of those brands. One of the biggest things is getting pads that suits your needs.

Dust
    Noise
    Performance

Are all things people look for in pads. Price is a variable as well, but you seem to know the pads you want to use already. I've seen Shady post a picture of some Rotora slotted oem replacement rotors and they look good. I had Stillen replacement rears and that got ride of the squeel vs the oem set up.

How many miles on your oem rotors?

3. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    About 56k miles on front and rear, rust is getting pretty high on the rotors. Looks like they're due.

Maybe Plain Brembo Replacement Rotors:
    http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...FX45&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=AWD&perfCode=P

will fit my needs. Thanks for the reply.

4. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

60k on the oems sounds pretty good. Upgrades are always nice, the one thing I really like about the Rotora BBKs is the pads are very liveable. Low dust and low noise unless I'm really on them. Did you search for better prices on the oems?

The Stillens are zinc coated to prevent rust, not sure if the rust is what is bothering you or not.

Check the Stoptech GB that happened on the org, a lot of them hated the pads for the dust they created.

5. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Can confirm that! I hated the axis pads with all the dust and lasted only about 15k miles (front-20% and rear-10%). I have the oem pads now and really like the low dust NO NOISE combination with the stop tech rotors. The pedal feel is soft just like the oem setup and softer then the axis combo. Also the axis made high pitch squeek from time to time but none in reverse. May try the Akebono next.

6. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Great to know. You ended up with cross-drilled I believe from pictures I saw? I saw on mynismo.com they also offer slotted for the same price.

Sounds like the current combinations for no/low noise, low dust are:
    1) BBK Rotora (Rookie)
    2) Stoptech Cross-drilled + OEM Pads (Dr.2K)
    3) OEM Rotors + Akebono Pads (Chedman13)
    4) Cross drilled + Hawk HPS (several members)

Maybe I'll go out on a limb and try the powerslots + akebono to get some feedback on those. They have an interesting option for cryogenic treatment. Powerslots being slotted should get that noise at hard braking, probably similar to what Rookie mentioned (I believe you have Cross drilled and Slotted). From what I hear, this happens with all slotted rotors.

7. dbristol91

dbristol91 Member

va
    Garages:
    Hey ~ I would like to replace my stock brake rotors with some performance 2 piece rotors. where can I buy those from? any suggestions? thank you

8. FXist

FXist Member

BC Canada
    09 FX50S Metallic Grey
    Garages:
    Any rotors will work fine, a must OEM pads for the quietness for sure. That's what I got on mine, aftermarket pads squelllll, OEMs shhhhhh

9. Im getting rotors from ebay from a seller brakemotive76. He has 30,000 feedback and it's about 260 for all rotors and ceramic pads.

10. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    Yo Chedman, you have any sweet long term updates for this lonely thread? Did you end up trying the powerslots or did you go straight to the AP kit?

11. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Straight to bbk.

Rotorpros are centric rotors. I would stick with oem.

12. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    My problem with the oem rotors is that mine are both "warped" and already have a significant wear lip currently after 72K miles. I also solicited a couple quotes for on-car resurfacing locally and came up with $400 as a low number, which is slightly more than they cost new...

I'm leaning toward the Rotora slotted, honestly just to try something new. The brake induced shuddering is eating away at my soul.

13. wlvrn97

wlvrn97 Member

So Cal
    Damien

Hey tchuck...take a look at R1 Concepts rotors too...they make good rotors and u can get them drilled/slotted or both. I got all four rotors drilled only with hawks HPS pads for $400...and they work great. Really good bite, quiet and very low dust...I would recommend if u wanna replace the oem ones...

14. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    tchuck, have you looked into stoptech? I have had their kit for more than 4 years without any problems with my brakes. I don't know if they make it any longer but you can ask.

15. wlvrn97

wlvrn97 Member

So Cal
    Damien
    Yeah R1 Concepts carries Stoptech rotors too...I think a little over $200 a pair

16. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    I have looked at R1 rotors but for various reasons decided against them.

I did, and they don't. :frown: Stoptech is now owned by Centric, who is also the supplier for R1.

17. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Just so you guys know humberto cracked his cross drilled slotted rotors. I think they were rotorapros.

I would then try powerslot cyrotreated rotors if not oem or bbk.

I never turn rotors, just buy new ones. Not worth the labor costs unless you take them off your self and bring to pep boys for 25 turning.

18. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    I saw the pics of Humberto's cracked rotors, among many many others. The only "drilled" rotors I'd consider are the ones (like Brembos) that are cast with the holes in them. Considering that I'm not looking for a bbk right now, and that Brembo doesn't make an oem size rotor for us, I'm leaning toward slotted. Really I just want to try the slots for fun. I'm not really convinced that they'll have any benefit for my application over blank versions... Hopefully the slot noise is tolerable.
    I have yet to find a single negative comment anywhere about Rotora, which puts them at the top of my list. Not super thrilled about the nearly $600 price tag, but so it goes...
    I should also mention, per my Stoptech comment above, that Stoptech only uses the Centric blanks for their oem replacement rotors. Their BBKs are still developed in house (and awesome).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800

19. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    You know all this already, but:

1) Plain face = best, most surface area. Porsche, even cast holes on their rotors, replaces them for the track to plain face rotors. Brembo USED to make OEM replacement rotors for the FX! They were sold on tirerack, but they sold out and brembo stopped making them. Maybe you can get lucky and find some leftover inventory somewhere.

2) Centric rotors are good, not great. They are slightly thicker, more so in the rear rotors vs OEM. I compared and hitting the splash shield is further proof. They are a good OEM replacement.

3) Cross drilled as you know, pretty much for looks, which I totally dig and will always get. Even chaumfered drilling, still prone to cracks. Humberto probably drives pretty agressive=)

4) Dimpled is nice, because no stress cracks, BUT you will get a whomp whomp whomp sound, you either love it or hate it.

5) slotted is cool, cuts at the pads to help remove any glaze. also helps water and gas buildup escape faster. But also, less surface area, creates a whirring sound (which I love), and less pad life.

I go cross drilled/slotted for looks. Also, OEM brakes were sufficient, but braking in rain took a milisecond for the pads to catch, with the cross drilled/slotted, catches faster.

Add in more/larger pistons and bigger rotors size, I gained anything I lost from OEM.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...&autoModel=FX45&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=AWD

I *THINK* power slot probably uses Centric rotors. I really like the idea of Cryo so would probably go with those:
    Power Slot Power Alloy Cryo-Treated Rotor

My next choice, would be the DBA:
    DBA Street 4X4 Survival Series (front and rear)
    DBA 4000 Series Rotor (rear only)

DBA is an Australian company and I trust them very much now after I have their rotors. Not many people know, but DBA makes the rear 15" rotor for the AP Racing kit. I inspected the rotor prior and after, it is great, nice cooling veins, good paint, god quality.

It looks like the street 4x4 is on sale now too.

You sure you don't want to upgrade to BBK for aesthetics?? That was my excuse, new rotors -- forget it new calipers, rotors and pads=)

Talk to lance man, I know you saw his kit. he can get you a great price...

20. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    I drove the Silver Surfer while in Seattle last month. Believe me, if I could afford it that JBT kit would already be installed. Soooo nice.

Both Powerslot and Stoptech LLC are owned by Centric Parts and both use Centric rotors for their "oem replacement" products. My issues with Centric rotors are their straight cooling vanes, non-directional slot/hole patterns (so one side always looks backward), and rust issues. Their "Power Alloy" series is the only exception to that rule. Both Stoptech and Powerslot use this rotor but both are disproportionally expensive, especially the cryo versions. The cryos are low on my list, but not off just yet.

Everything I know about DBA I've learned in the past week or so, and I'm liking them more and more. Their story reminds me of Stoptech's before Stoptech sold out to Centric. Funny how they tout their non-directional rotors as a selling point; "Our rotors can be used on either side unlike directional rotors which can only cool in one direction..." Because everyone does cool down laps in reverse... :rolleyes:

I found the Brembo oem replacements, but for some reason the rears are 5 times more expensive than the fronts. (wtf) For anyone else interested, the Brembo part #s are 25844-front and 25843-rear. R1 Concepts actually has several sets of front rotors on their ebay site.....for.....brace yourself.....$119/pair SHIPPED. Unfortunately the rears will set you back $300 EACH from the only other two places I found them. I guess if you only need the fronts it would be a screaming deal.

I don't know, I just can't make a decision. Maybe I'll just get some of those new high tech Brembo calipers that spin with the rotors... :LOL:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011