Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

QX70 09+ Brake pedal becomes extremely stiff overnight

Discussion in 'QX70 Exterior' started by Fire0nic3FX, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

What's up guys. When my I start my FX first thing in the morning and I put my foot down on the brake pedal to push the start button and start the car the brake pedal I can't even push it down all the way. It'd extremely stiff. It softens up after the car starts. Never use to be like this before.

It becomes stiff like how if you pump the brake pedal a few times after the car has been shut off. The only thing is that I'm not doing that. It stiffens up after sitting overnight.

Sent from my SPH-L720

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. jdTrader

jdTrader Staff Moderator

Car:
    2009 FX50S
    Garages:
    did you do your most recent brake job or somewhere else? I wonder if the right amount of brake fluid was used.

Also, I wonder if your brake booster is failing, booster push rod is out of adjustment, or vacuum leak in your booster system.

Make sure the booster is getting good vacuum. Whoever did your brakes last could had plugged up the vacuum line. Most likely it's with your vacuum line. Could be as simple as a gasket giving a slow leak that would just be detected when your car is parked over several hours over night.

3. GEE50FX

GEE50FX The Traveller iS VIP

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    Mine is usually stiff when I get up in the morning too, oops, you were talking about the car, sorry.

Seriously though, I have never noticed the pedal being stiff, when I start the car I barely touch the pedal, just enough for the push start button to work.

skywalker999 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

Thanks Jonas. I changed the brakes last but that was like 10k miles ago. I haven't checked the brake fluid level in months so I'll give that a try. Also how do I check for vacuum leaks? Might just head over to the dealer since I have a warranty.

5. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Car:
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    You can just get a cheap vacuum gauge at the autoparts store to see if you have a leak. Or you can listen for hissing noises from the lines. And if your brake pedal is still, it's likely not a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks cause a weak brake booster and mushy braking. When I had my old turbo car, I had to add a bunch of vacuum hoses to run the wastegates, BOV, etc. That nightmare of plumbing caused a vacuum leak that led to terrible braking. Had to individually unplug and check all the hoses and it turns out one of my fittings was loose. Fixed that and brakes were normal.

Your issue almost sounds like fluid expansion, but that's not supposed to happen to brake fluid.

6. Logan

Logan iS VIP iS VIP

Garages:
    If it stays stiff for longer than four hours you need to call your doctor (sounds like a vacuum issue BTW).

7. PMG 705

PMG 705 Staff Moderator

Car:
    FX
    Priapism recall?

TapaTalkin'

8. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Car:
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    I randomly saw a post similar to this on a bmw forum. It apparently is a common problem on some models. The issue is loss of vacuum while sitting which causes the brake booster to stop working. There is a check valve that allows you to pump your brakes once or twice before they become stiff while the car is off. If there is a leak, vacuum is lost overnight and it will be stiff.

9. SCY7H3

SCY7H3 Member

Car:
    2012 FX35S AWD
    LMAO!!! Omg when I read the thread title I knew someone would crack a joke... good one man! I'm dying here...

10. OP
    OP
    Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

Ok my FX has been at the dealer for like 3 days getting this taken care of. After much arguing with the manager they finally admit that there is a problem and that the brake pedal shouldn't be losing pressure over night.

Shadow191 was right on point with this one. The problem is a rubber hose to the brake booster that has a check valve inside. That check valve went bad so they are replacing it. Had to order it since the part isn't in stock.

Sent from my SPH-L720

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

I should have my car back by Wednesday

Sent from my SPH-L720

11. GEE50FX

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    Glad to hear that you are getting that resolved Aaron.

12. jdTrader

jdTrader Staff Moderator

Car:
    2009 FX50S
    Garages:
    sweet! glad you got it resolved!

13. PMG 705

PMG 705 Staff Moderator

Car:
    FX
    Is this the same dealer that you always go to? Also, the one you applied to?

TapaTalkin'

14. OP
    OP
    Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

Yup the same dealer. This is the first time I've had an issue with them on fixing stuff. I never applied to there though.

I can't really complain as I'm going to be having this Q50 loaner for the next week. I do miss the FX though.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

By the way they told me if this doesn't fix it they will replace the whole brake booster.

15. OP
    OP
    Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

Crap just got a call from the dealer telling me this hose with the check valve is on a 7 week back order from Japan. Damn it that means this issue probably won't be solved till after the new year. We'll this sucks!

Sent from my SPH-L720

16. GEE50FX

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    Rats. Does this mean you will have the Q50 until then

17. OP
    OP
    Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

Nope when they called they told me to return it in the morning

18. SCY7H3

SCY7H3 Member

Car:
    2012 FX35S AWD
    7 weeks sounds excessive... So why would you have to drop it off so early if they won't have the part for so long? That seems odd and where will they store the car until them?

Sent from my SGH-I747

19. GEE50FX

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    I think they gave Aaron his FX back and told him to bring it in when the part arrives at the Stealership.

20. SCY7H3

SCY7H3 Member

Car:
    2012 FX35S AWD
    That would make more sense, no point in keeping a car for no good reason. Sometimes I wonder how dealerships come up with these silly ideas.

Sent from my SGH-I747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.