Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

brake light, slip light & vss off light, wtf?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by turbocad6, Feb 1, 2008.

1. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    OK, I got a weird problem with my fx, just started about 2 weeks ago. first I noticed that when I first start the car, I would sometimes get this weird abs noise, slight, hard to explain really, kinda sounds like a wet springy noise, like what you here when abs kicks in... only does it like once & slightly... this is immediately after a cold start

then, maybe a week after this started, I start her up one day & pushed her cold through a hard u turn & my brake light came on the dash, followed a few seconds later by the slip light & the vs off light... these lights stayed on though... a little while later I shut it of & restarted & all was fine.

a few days later, the same thing.. first the brake light, then a few seconds later, the slip & vss off, since then it's been happening off & on for about a week. it doesn't do it all the time, only when she's cold. it seems to be triggered by the brake light, cause it always comes on first... the strange part is the brake light does go out after a while, once the brake light goes out, a restart clears the other 2 lights (slip & vss off) & it never comes back on again until another cold start, but if I try to restart before the brake light decides to go off, it will still come back on a restart, it's only after the brake light goes out that a restart clears the other lights...

I tried searching & didn't come up with much, one reference to something a little similar by someone who later determined it was cause his rear brakes were low & needed to be changed, but I checked my brakes & they aren't excessively low, also the brake fluid is above the minimum line... I would change all the brakes but I'm holding out cause I want to do something better than stock, & I'm not quite ready to start getting too deep $$$ there just yet....

anyone have any ideas? anyone know if brakes are included in drive train warranty, of course not the pads & rotors, but the abs & stuff? I'm out of warranty but drive train is still covered a bit longer... I hate to think of bringing it into the dealer, haven't had a chance yet to borrow a friends scanner to see if that shows anything... any ideas? I'm hoping it's not something huge like the abs pump or something...

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    How are the wear on the front brake pads? Had the same thing happen and it ended up to being brake pads needed replacement. I would have it checked out at th dealership to be safe.

3. OP
    OP
    turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    front & rears aren't that low, not great, but not very low either last I checked... this is the second reference I've seen with similar problems & brakes as the culprit though, guess I should really start shopping brakes... if that's all it is I guess that's cool... I wouldn't go to the dealer though unless it was an issue more than just pads & stuff, & even then, only if it was under drivetrain coverage...

did you have any kind of abs noise on startup? I think that's the part that concerns me the most...

4. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Not that I remember. But brake pads aren't that much so if after you do change them out and the problem persists then you know something more serious is probably the culprit.

5. asherchy

asherchy Premium Member Premium

really weird...
    driving home from mammoth today and i had the cruise set at 65mph, temp was 41 and i braked with the traffic at the north end of lancaster

every dash light came on, the vdc/ slip/ service engine soon lights stayed on and car wouldnt accelerate. i hit the hazards, pulled onto the shoulder, and when i dipped below 10mph i could accelerate again. i restarted the car and all lights went away except for the service engine. i babied it the whole way home and now im turning to the masters. i just had my brakes inspected 5k ago and i am "technically" due for an oil change but wtf.
    hopefully you all can point me in the right direction before i blindly take it into the dealer monday at 7am

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  6. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Could be a water leak past the firewall to the ecu. That kind of reminds me of what happened to lebron.

7. asherchy

my car had been covered in a foot of snow...

8. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Check the condition of the ecu behind the glove compartment.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  9. IlovemyFX

IlovemyFX Premium Member Premium

Vancouver, BC
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    I've seen this posted with several different Infiniti's and usually it is low brake fluid or worn pads. Try topping up the fluid resevoir if you are even close to the minimum line.

10. BTLFED

BTLFED Member

Woodstock GA
    2006 FX35 AWD
    This is true. G's and FX's do the whole VDC, Brake and Slip lights will come on when your pads are worn and/or your fluid resevior are low. We have people come in all the time with those lights on. I have never heard of this "ABS" sound you are speaking of though.

11. OP
    OP
    turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    yeah, I think that would have to be it, I mean the fx has no other way of even knowing the condition of the brake pads other than master cylider displacement.. it hasn't been cold out the past few days, & the problem hasn't happened either, which is another yes sign for the fluid level

ashley, your thing reminds me of an issue I had when I first got my fx. when I got it, it ewas hit in the front & it wouldn't idle but would just surge up & down, all the lights on the dash lit up like a christmas tree, no throttle response at all. I came to find out that the cause of this was one tiny piece of plastic from the crushed aircleaner assy got stuck in the throttle plate, just enough to hold it open just slightly more than it should be at closed, this discrepancy betweeen what the tps read & what it should have read, in combination with the pedal possition sensor was enough for al these problems to happen, maybe the throttle plate got a little iced up? if it doesn't close 100% when off throttle this problem can happen cause the computer doesn't know what's going on.... just another thought...

12. OP
    OP
    turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    maybe that little abs noise is a seperate issue? that scares me a bit.... it's very slight but I don't like hearing that at all...

13. BTLFED

BTLFED Member

Woodstock GA
    2006 FX35 AWD
    I don't know. I have sold Infiniti parts for 3 years and haven't heard of this issue.

14. OP
    OP
    turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    it's a bit strange... it sounds like an abs noise, kinda like a wet springy sound, only on first start-up so it's hard to even listen for it better, it doesn't do it all the time either? wierd one I'm sure, just what I need to drive me nutz:mad:

15. asherchy

my fluids were all great. the brakes looked decent. and it wasnt that cold outside... 41 and 200 miles away from the snow
    i dropped it off the dealer, got the typical stare ( oh how cute... shes trying to talk car) and they gave me my loaner... 06 g35x. BASE MODEL SUCKS

16. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Blindly going to the dealer ? :eek:
    Good thing you're under warranty :wub: Arnt you?

17. asherchy

oh yes
    extended warranty.... im covered to 95k or 4 years... so 95k
    on another note... anyone know how to fit 3 people and 3 snowboards into a g35? theres no split in the rear seats (i thought this stopped in the 70s) just a lil slot that wont let one board in, let alone 3. but its good to know if im kidnapped and thrown into the trunk within the next 2? days that i can escape with the emergency handle

18. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Nice! Takin the loaner to the snow & salt. That's the way to treat her :rofl:

19. asherchy

i dont get to abuse the loaner:frown:. theyve allready fixed my fx. guess what.... it was the tps just like i told them it was but hey.. what do i know. thanks to everyone for all your input. at least i dont have to wash last weeks mammoth dirt/snow off myself

20. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    That was quick. Glad you resolved. An '07 would have been more fun to take anyway. Do you go to SaMo Infiniti?