Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

BOSE amp repair

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Electronics & Lighting' started by WiND DANCE, Nov 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    Sup guys, I just got my 05 fx35 with the dreaded Bose system. While checking out the subs in the trunk area I noticed it was cutting in and out.
    So I opened it up and behold its the same amp they used in my previous Mazda RX8. Well we had a fix and all it requires is a larger $2 Panasonic relay.

Items needed:

• Your stock amp
    • Soldering iron
    • Rosin Core Solder
    • Solder sucker, wick, or pump
    • Digikey Panasonic JS1-12V-F Relay

Instructions:

1. Remove your stock amp, becareful with the white connector. It is a little difficult to remove.
    2. Pry open the metal housing and remove the circuit board from the housing. The main board is held by one tab each side.
    3. Locate and remove the old grey relay.
    4. Exam your work, While the area is exposed, you will see 5 empty holes where the old relay was and 5 filled holes right next to it. We will be using the new filled holes. With your wick remove the solder that fills those new holes.
    5. Solder on the new relay. If you care to, apply a very thin coat of rubber cement to the joints to protect from moisture.
    6. Put everything back and enjoy the mediocre subs again.

Pictures: (note: these pictures and work was posted by gabrod72 on rx8club.com)
    http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/...doors-not-working-$1-67-relay-fix-topside-jpg
    http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/...oors-not-working-$1-67-relay-fix-backside-jpg
    http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/...not-working-$1-67-relay-fix-relay-removed-jpg
    http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/...s-not-working-$1-67-relay-fix-clean-holes-jpg

Sources:
    The thread: http://rx8club.com/do-yourself-forum-73/diy-bose-speakers-doors-not-working-$1-67-relay-fix-218790/
    Link to the Relay: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/JS1-12V-F/255-2080-ND/648567

---------- Post Merged at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:42 AM ----------

I just checked the part number Bose has for it, same exact amp as my previous car #255490. So relay should work.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. pmanliu

pmanliu iS VIP iS VIP

NYC
    2017 WRX
    Garages:
    Sweet, definitely will come in handy for others. Thanks for contributing!

3. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    No problem

4. RIPnFX

RIPnFX iS VIP iS VIP

Los Angeles/Bakersfield
    Infiniti FX 35 Limited Edition
    Rip Singh
    Garages:
    Awesome good info here

5. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    Updated with new instructions, links, and pictures

6. soonster

soonster 21" club member iS VIP

NYC
    2006 FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    nice thread, will be great for diy'ers.

7. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Chicago
    2003 FX45
    Andy
    Garages:
    Straight that Bose have extra solder holes. It's almost seems like they expect the problem or they ran out of stock on the bigger relay? Anyhow, good info and thanks for sharing.

8. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    Perhaps yet another smart way Bose makes there money. Not marketing but praying on the common man who doesn't know any better but to take it to a dealer. Who will replace the whole sub system.

9. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    I recieved the relay, swapped out the old one and soldered on the new one. The repair was a success, there is now some bass in the rear. :rotfl:

null-9.jpg

Attached Files:

10. jdTrader

jdTrader Staff Moderator

Michigan
    2009 FX50S
    Garages:
    wow that's awesome! How did you know it was the relay and not something else!? Any pictures of closeups of the solder work?

11. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Chicago
    2003 FX45
    Andy
    Garages:
    :good: Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

12. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    Like with any issues with electronics, one should always check the fuses/relay first I guess. Although I posted this thread, I actually can't take the credit for this finding. It was discovered on the RX8 forum. I didn't take pictures after I soldered the new relay on as its pretty straight forward once you you have the amp in front of you.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  13. thanks

14. carguy75

carguy75 Member

alpharetta,ga
    Garages:
    My Bose sub amp have started to cut out from time to time, now I know why. At first I thought it was a loose ground wire or short on the circuit board and was just going to replace the amp and sub. Now I have an excuse to dust off the old soldering iron. Thanks for the tread!!:good:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  15. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    Np, have fun it's quite easy.

16. carguy75

carguy75 Member

alpharetta,ga
    Garages:
    Thanks again man. Yesterday I removed the old relay and installed a new Digikey relay and the Bose amp works perfectly with no more cut-outs. The hardest part was removing the old relay due to the old solder that was hard to completely remove from the old relay leads that was keeping it held in place. I wished I had a heated desoldering sucker instead of the non-heated one I had to use and wick. But it worked. The new relay only took seconds to solder in place. I ordered three new relays because that were only $1.67 a piece to justify the $10.00 shipping charge. You saved me a few hundred dollars because I was going to either order a replacement Bose sub from Ebay or install an aftermarket sub/amp combo. This is why I love this forum.:good:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  17. OP
    OP
    WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Central Valley CA
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    No problem, glad to hear that everything worked out.

18. My bass has been going in and out too. I just ordered the relay today and I hope it works. Thanks for the info

19. Cant wait to do this. Not too much experience with with a soldering gun but im handy so i should figure it out. Always hated that my sub decided to work when it wanted to. Thanks!

20. Just completed this; worked great. De-soldering was the hardest part.