Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 big emergency help

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by asherchy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. asherchy

asherchy Premium Member Premium

i was loading some ikea stuff into the car and i hit the shifter with a box. it broke off the lil plastic at the bottom (not the emergency) i drove home and tried to put it into park...
    it goes into park but it doesnt lock. i can move it through all the gears without touching th lock button. the car is in park. it doesnt roll or anything.
    when i get out i cant lock the car... it just yells at me... alot. i have to manually lock it with a key and wait 20ish seconds for it to stop yelling

HELP

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    does it show what gear you are in on the cluster?

3. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

I take it, it's not under warranty?

4. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Did you remove the shifter and take a look inside to see if there is any damage?

5. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    maybe it bent the shifter slightly? sounds like even though the tranny is engaging park, the shifter isn't fully engaged, thecar thinks it's not in park...

6. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I've had the oposite happen to me, I was at one point taking my console & dash apart just about daily, & one time I didn't fully re-engage the shifter knob down on the lock... well the shiftrr knob worked it's way up slightly in use & next thing I know it was hard to even get it into park & out of park for that matter, as the knob worked it's way up the button wss engaging less & less till it got to the point ofcan't get it out of park... I realized what happened & slammed the shift knob down to engage the lock clip & all was back to normal...

7. OP
    OP
    asherchy

ill try looking at it in the light tomorrow and then ill beat it with a stick
    it is under warranty but they only work mon-friday
    it is a lil cracked inside on the shifter handle
    hmmm... what to tell the dealer miraculously happened...

8. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

ummmmm yeah, they can't call you a liar, right? ;)

9. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Ash do you use an aftermarket shifter or stock? What part of the shifter is cracked? Is the blue plastic piece intact or is that the piece that is broken?

10. OP
    OP
    asherchy

the blue piece that i just discovered appears to be in tact.. im guessing that is a very very good thing. i think the button on the stock shifter cracked as well as the base and thats why it wont engage the blue stick. today it wouldnt let me put it into park at all so after some surgery i just removed the whole thing and am manually pushing up and down on the blue thing. im gonna drive as lil as possible and i have an appt tuesday.
    thanks as always guys

11. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    if it works normal with you doing the thing manually then don't bring it in, just order a new shify knob... but is it still screaming at you when you try to lock it?

12. OP
    OP
    asherchy

if i manually pull up the blue stick, i can get the ignition to the fully off position and then it doesnt scream. im gonna take it just in case. im pretty good with my car but sometimes id rather just be safe... specially with the tranny stuff i have absolutely no understanding off. and maybe theyll give me the ex as a loaner...

13. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    ok, when you say pull up, do you mean lift up like it's hanging in there loosely, or do you mean pull it up like theres resistance? the plastic rod through the center of the shift rod is supposed to be loose, it is also spring loaded, so it should push down with a springy plunger feel, but should pop back up by itself.

if it's just loose & floppy then something with the spring is damaged inside, but if it's just tight up & down, & therefore getting stuck down, then you probaly bent the shaft. does it look bent? it may look straight but bent at the lower joint,

I'd be afraid the dealer is going to tell you it needs a new shifter, & your going to wind up being $5-600 or more, gonna be hard for that to be covered under warentee I think... I'd bet that it's just a matter of bending it back enough for the center plastic shaft can go up & down freely again, then it'll spring return & all's perfect again.

14. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Good to hear it doesn't sound like its anything serious. Just be careful and hopefully you will only need a new shift knob.

15. OP
    OP
    asherchy

i guess ill have to take a closer look tomorrow when the suns back. the blue stick (thats a swell technical term) is tight... not floppy but it does stay wherever i put it... if i push it down (as if the button was pushed) it stays down and vice versa. having read your last input, seems it might be a bent shaft.. stupid 100pound ikea box.
    what do you recomend for bending it back?? we already built the ikea cabinet so therefore can not hit it again in the opposite direction
    can i then replace it with any aftermarket automatic shifter... problem is... they are always so ugly...

16. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    first look at it & see which way it needs to go, oposite of the way it was wacked, you may be able to bend it back by hand, depending on the leverage & direction you have... if that don't do it then a large wrench with the circle end slid over the shaft & then lift the oposite end to leverage it, a large channel lock pliers, psibally slide a pipe over it, but gotta be carful of the plastic breaking with a pipe over it. a pipe could work good only if it's very close to a tight fit over the shaft... if it's too loose then the blue plastic could get broke where the pipe & shaft would leverage.... a length of 2X4 & a hammer maybe, there are a lot of ways to bend it back, I would almost expect to just be able to do it by hand really... but it could be tougher too... hard to say without seeing it, but I'm sure you should be able to find a way to bend it back.

17. OP
    OP
    asherchy

copy that ghost rider... i got all them tools

18. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    you DO know if you take it into the dealer with a bent shifter, how many sex jokes are going to be thrown around about that, right?:wub:

19. OP
    OP
    asherchy

what about when i say it was a big package that did the damage?
    ...100pound box?

20. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

LMAO :LOL: