Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

5.0L Bad transfer Case

Discussion in 'QX70 Engine & Drivetrain' started by forevame, Dec 1, 2011.

1. forevame

forevame foreva me

Car:
    2009 fx50s
    Garages:
    Dont know if you guys remember or read my first post but, i was hearing a rubbing nosie and feeling vibration when turning my wheel at slow speeds ...took the car to the dealer and they said the transfer case was bad and they replaced it.....the problem seems to be gone but now it seems like i need alignment. am not sure what is removed and or taken off to change the transfer case ...but can someone confirm that after replacing it would they need to do an alignment and did anybody else have this problem.?

This is how my it looks when my wheels are straight

IMG_20111201_194801.jpg

IMG_20111201_194232.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Car:
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I would take it back to the dealer and have them correct it. If it wasn't like that when you took the FX to them than they should fix it.

3. Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

Crap!! I should of known that was the problem when you first asked. Because there was a technical service bulletin (TSB) on this:

ITB09064

• IF YOU CONFIRM: A whine noise and/or vibration from the transfer case assembly when making right or left turns at slow speeds, and/or stopped with steering wheel turned to almost full extent in either direction, and then applying slight acceleration. ACTION 1. Replace the electric controlled coupling in the transfer assembly. 2. For FX35 only, built before the following VIN and date, also replace the air breather vent. - FX35 built before JN8AS1MW(*)AM 851594 and October 27, 2009. See this bulletin for further detail.

They didn't actually replace the transfer case though, just the coupling inside of it. A few others on here had this problem a while back, so I'm surprised no one brought it up lol. It says for FX35 only, but the 50's transfer case is almost identical.

As for the steering being off center have them look this technical service bulletin up:

ITB08046

• SERVICE INFORMATION If a customers reports their "vehicle pulls" or the "steering wheel is off-center" use the Diagnostic Flow Chart and other information in this bulletin to diagnose and correct the issue. See this bulletin for further detail.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  4. GEE50FX

GEE50FX The Traveller iS VIP

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    ^^ good answer Aaron :top:

5. OP
    OP
    forevame

forevame foreva me

Car:
    2009 fx50s
    Garages:
    I saw it a while back but didnt think anything of it because it said ..35 only ....did you need an alignment after.

6. Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

I didn't have this problem. My FX doesn't fall under the VIN number listings because it was built in March 2009.

I think this problem relates to early model batches of FX's from the factory.

7. OP
    OP
    forevame

forevame foreva me

Car:
    2009 fx50s
    Garages:
    guess mine was in that batch ....but ill have them fix alignment issuse but am really considering getting the elite warranty when my warranty is up next year ,because every known problem that these fx had so far i have them.

8. Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

Dealer should fix this alignment thing for free under warranty. If it wasn't like that before they gave you the car make them fix it no questions asked!

Usually early model cars of any kind have some defects or glitches that need to be worked out. That's why it's best to wait about half a year after it's been out so they can make the revisions and fixes to them before you buy it. You can see what year and month yours was built by checking out the sticker on the lower part of the door jamb on the driveside.

I'm thinking about getting the extended warranty too right before my current warranty expires. Not sure yet though because I haven't had any real problems with the car.

9. DieselFx

DieselFx Member

Car:
    Fx35
    Garages:
    Which dealership did you go to Dwaynedadon?

10. OP
    OP
    forevame

forevame foreva me

Car:
    2009 fx50s
    Garages:
    kings infiniti brooklyn

11. OP
    OP
    forevame

forevame foreva me

Car:
    2009 fx50s
    Garages:
    This problem is back I will take it to the dealer soon and keep guys updated ....

12. GEE50FX

GEE50FX The Traveller iS VIP

Car:
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Name:
    Wayne
    Garages:
    Good luck with it Dwayne.

13. FXvandenBerg

FXvandenBerg Member

This thread is somewhat older already, but wanted to voice-in and add that there is an issue with the FX transfer case! I drive a lot for work, and bought the FX35 because it's a great car and an extremely comfortable ride. In March 2012 I started to have problems as described above in the TSB. Brought it to the dealer and they did conclude the transfer case was blown and needed replacement. The car was at 83K at that moment, 3K over the 80,000 power train warranty... I wasn't too happy about this of course, but contributed it to a case of bad luck and moved on. The moving on didn't last too long... 37,000 miles later I started experiencing the same issues and guess what: the replacement transfer case is broken too.

I'm now on my 3rd transfer case for a car that's not even 5 years old and at 120K miles. The dealership felt really bad and offered to replace the 2nd transfer case for 50% off, which I think is a nice gesture from them. I was hoping (counting on...) Infiniti consumer affairs to pitch in the second 50% but unfortunately they didn't come through. After escalating my case, they concluded that it's acceptable to replace a transfer case twice I guess. I'll escalate my case (11523919) to the BBB, but the reason I wanted to post on this forum:

1) beware that the transfer case on an 2009 Infiniti FX is a weak spot!
    2) does anyone has any ideas what causes this issue? I don't want to go to the dealership in about a year to have my 4th transfer case mounted. If there's anything I need to do different, or if there's anything I need to pay attention to during maintenance I would appreciate the advise.

14. Fire0nic3FX

Fire0nic3FX Member

This was only a common issue on the first early model FX's that came off the production line.

Mine is a later model 09 built in march 2009 and never had a problem and I have 51K miles. This is not a common issue. Usually the ones built in late 08 had these issues.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

If your transfer case keeps going bad the dealer must be performing the tsb wrong. Its suppose to correct the issue the first time around

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

They also shouldnt be just replacing parts. They are also suppose to be using the updated parts listed in the bulletin.

15. FXvandenBerg

FXvandenBerg Member

Thanks for the quick reply Fire0nic3FX! Glad to hear this is not affecting the entire 2009 model line, but just the models built in late 2008 (which mine is)

Given the fact this supposedly was a more common issue on the early 2009 models, I'm extra surprised Infiniti Consumer Affairs doesn't take the responsibility.
    I'm all with you btw that something must have gone wrong with the first repair, and that just replacing parts clearly isn't the solution.

I'll have a talk with the dealership again as well. Thanks again!!

16. OP
    OP
    forevame

forevame foreva me

Car:
    2009 fx50s
    Garages:
    This problem is back again took it to the dealer today, parts on order........wonder why it keeps happening.

Sent from my SM-N900T

17. OP
    OP
    forevame

forevame foreva me

Car:
    2009 fx50s
    Garages:
    Just to up this, after replacing the coupling inside the transfer case a few times. The problem is back this time the transfer case is leaking. service manager said they have been getting quite a few fx's with this problem, this time instead of just replacing the coupling they will be replacing the entire transfer case. i will update once done.

18. jdTrader

jdTrader Staff Moderator

Car:
    2009 FX50S
    Garages:
    hmmm smells like something fishy. Luckily I've been ok.

19. OP
    OP
    forevame

forevame foreva me

Car:
    2009 fx50s
    Garages:
  20. Sideswipe

Sideswipe Member

Car:
    FX35
    Name:
    Sean
    Garages:
    What dealer you using these days?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.