Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX45 AWD question

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by trainerKEN, Jul 16, 2007.

1. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

is it bad to use AWD on... say... high speeds? or ummmmm "fast acceleration"? I've had my FX for 4 months now (exactly 4 months tomorrow), and have never had the need to use it. But was curious...

Okay, I'll admit it.... my real question is: AWD better or worst 0-60? Will it do damage?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    The AWD is automatic, so you've always been using it. You have no control to switch it on or off, & as far as damage, this is the way the system is designed . . . answer: NO

&, I think if the 45 were RWD only, you would deff. be faster in the dry.

3. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

but, isn't there a switch to keep AWD on at all times?

4. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

the AWD switch (snow mode for some) forces 50/50 distribution up to 16mph or something like that.

5. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Actually, lemme correct, You may get a better launch with AWD, so may not be any slower, although I'm pretty sure you lose some power in the drivetrain with the AWD.
    There's a snow button that will reduce power if you start to slip.

6. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Correct, and the AWD tranny normally switches back to RWD after xx mph (nobody's given a definite answer, some say 16, some swear 19, etc)

You still have losses because of the mechanical linkage, but to add to the answers to your question(s), you do get a better launch being AWD since you probably won't come close to spinning your tires with NA power, but don't exactly know if the launch makes up for the losses.

You're not being any harder on the tranny going with the AWD button ('03) or Snow-mode (I believe '04+) since it was designed to be a part-time AWD system anyways.

7. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

thanks guys...

I picked up one of them gtech thingys from eBay for like $30... and only did ONE run (0-60) and it was a disappointing 7.3 sec. But I (obviously) had a bad launch...

I know those gtech-type devices may not be all that accurate but I got it so I have some way of telling if I get any gains on mods... not to mention that it was only around $30

8. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Try doing a crude measure with a stopwatch. If you're still in the 7's, somethings wrong with your ride & I would deff. race you for pinks any day of the week.

9. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

yeah, it was just ONE run... and maybe I shifted too early... There aren't many places around here with a nice straight-away... only that one spot... and this time of the day... there's a lot of cars maybe later/late I'll go back again... but then again... by night fall... the air/barometer will change :confused:

10. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

definatly make a few more runs this evening, you should be hitting low 6's with your 0-60.

11. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    My 2 cents.

If you are trying to get the most out of your Launch, there are a couple of things you might want to do....

Since you have an '03 you do have the option to have the AWD LOCK setting on your car. Then take the VDC OFF and you will see a great difference in your Launch and your overall shifting and acceleration.

In my case, having the AWD LOCK or in my case SNOW and the VDC OFF, gives me better gas millage and a quicker off the line response. If you apply these you can really feel the FX45 Power.

Pierce (DR2K) can better elaborate on the overall advantages... He has more 1/4 mile experience than I do.

12. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    The g-tech is good for a feel of how you are running but you should definitely think about going down to Cal. Speedway and try a few runs at the actual 1/4 track. It is a rush and you will get real numbers of how your fx is running. Will probably be going down there again come this sept/oct. Maybe you can make it out there with the gang.

Learning to launch correctly and trying to beat your times is a blast. Still getting the hang of it but improving with every run.

13. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

^^^YES! I'm soooooo down for the meet at the track!!!

the gtech thing was cheap and more or less another gadget to mess around with...

what sucks is... my mpg is gonna go down having this around

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  14. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Most definitely Ken! Will be looking forward to seeing you at the track.