Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Apex'i Air Filter?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by Mongolian, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

A lot of talks about oil from the K&N screwing up the MAFS recently scares me a bit. I would like to change my K&N to Apex'i dry air filter. There is no specific application for our vehicle, but they do have universal filters.

I have a LMS SRI and I would like to purchase a filter that is compatible. Any clues are which part number from the universal filter would work. I have no idea what these numbers mean.

500-A021Power Intake Replacement Filter (Filter Only) 80mm - May require use of Apex Apapter
    500-A022OD 160 ID 75 (REPLACEMENT FILTER)
    500-A023OD 160 ID 65 (REPLACEMENT FILTER)
    500-A024OD 140 ID 75 (REPLACEMENT FILTER)
    500-A025UNIVERSAL FILTER AND 80MM FLANGE
    500-A026UNIVERSAL FILTER AND 75MM FLANGE
    500-A027UNIVERSAL FILTER AND 70MM FLANGE

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. CO FX

CO FX Member

I would stick with your K&N. Just clean it thoroughly and don't oil it. I used to spray a very light mist of oil on my old one (from 1 ft away). Most people that I know that have one don't even oil it at all.

3. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

I thought the oil on the filter helps trap debris from going thru the filter?

4. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
  5. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

I have used K&N on my FX for almost 2 years, 5 years on my honda, and 3.5 years on my Acura. I've yet to have any problems with it. However, I want to try something different and based on the previous post posted on this site regarding filtration test result, it looks like better filtration is provided by the Apex'i. Plus Apex filter is a dry filter.... no maintenance (supposedly)

Your comment about the people you know not oiling the filter.... they must not care about the filtration then. The oil applied to the filter is designed to trap fine particles from the air stream (correct me if I'm wrong). If they don't oil it, perhaps they should not use a filter at all and just let the air flow in completely free.

6. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

I've gotta agree with that. The oil is a main part of what traps dust and dirt. Otherwise isnt it just a few layers of cotton?

7. CO FX

CO FX Member

Because if you hold a K&N filter up and look through it, you will see that it is still very dense. The Apex-i and AEM filters that were mentioned are basically the same cotton filter elements sans oil. K&N recommends that you oil your filter for maximum filtration and water resistance, but they run their ISO filter tests without oil.

The only reason that I would ever oil a filter again, is if I lived in an extremely wet area, or drive through extremely dusty conditions.

More information can be found here:
    http://www.knfilters.com/air_filter_testing.htm

The whole idea of filtering to the smallest micron is silly though. The inside of an engine will always be inherently dirty given the fact that there is combustion which produces large amounts of carbon and soot. As long as you are filtering out the big stuff (relatively speaking) as well as water, then you're fine.

My 2 cents.