Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Any other F/I applications for FX?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Boost, Track & Tuning' started by brown_fv, Jul 9, 2007.

1. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

hey guys, im just wondering if there are any other known F/I kits that would fit our FX's other than the already know Stillen S/C, JWT Kit, and STS Turbo.

im having a hard time deciding if the FX is still for me, and if i decide to keep it i will seriously consider going F/I in the near future. ive thought of a few kits that i looked into, maybe the F/I guru's here can chime in and provide better info.

APS Single Turbo
    Vortech S/C
    Turbonetics Single Turbo

Ive heard the APS is a pretty good kit, same with the vortech. how do they compare in price? ive read some cases where the vortech puts down some very very good numbers, but i would want something a bit conservative...not too powerful as the FX would be driven mostly on the street (daily driver) and a few trips to the track for 1/4 mile (long drive to get there). On a conservative tune, is there any way to guesstimate the amount of power it would be putting down on our FX's? im sure there will obviously need to be some adjustments made in the piping to fit our FX and would most shops have the right knowledge to do this?

Thanks a lot!

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Deecarp

Deecarp Premium Member Premium

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Viet had a reply to me about the vortex kit. Vortec Supercharger any info on it that you know of... - InfinitiScene.com and I've found pricing is pretty reasonable. superchargersonline.com was one site where the kit ran about 4K, not bad at all. a few other sites were a bit more 5k+. for the most part it seems and sounds like a really great setup I'm really looking into it myself.

DC

3. Vortech APS, Turbonetics, pretty much any kit can be made to work, you'd just have to pay for the fabrication of the piping and mounting brackets.

Procharger has a FX-fit kit, but engine/fuel management is up to you.

LMS can still make S/C kits as well... they are using a different blower now (not Powerdyne).

4. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

thanks for the info Shady. i have never heard of the procharger kit before, is it any good? how are you enjoying your LMS supercharger? any problems with it?

5. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I might be looking into a Greddy TT depending on the price. If it stays the price it's been from a certain vendor, it might only end up costing me about a grand more than the STS rear-mount single turbo. For just a grand extra, I'd go with a TT setup any day of the week.

6. f1fx

f1fx Member

the stillen stage 2 is a very safe f/i kit and is great around town. my fx is my daily driver, and i did a little over 40k miles last year, i was about to go with jwt kit but in the end i went with stage4 stillen. its not the most powerful f/i kit, but very predictable power, plus my local infiniti dealers don't trip out about stillen upgrades, then again i haven't had it in for any major work, don't trust any dealer to drive my fx without me.

7. da mayor

da mayor Member

VTR-- Vinnytenracing.com is looking to install a JWT TT into an FX35. most kits from a G35 coupe are compatible w/ modifications-- i just went through that boat w/ my G35 sedan.

i always look at viet's FX for inspiration.

8. Tkrtape3

Tkrtape3 Member

I sent VTR some questions on what there looking for and what there looking to do as far as set up.

Do you have a contact there? and What's the word on the shop?

TKR

9. Frankiago

IL
    I spoke with Alex at VTR... we'll see how things go.

They really do wanna JWT the FX35, and will NOT Greddy TT one :mad:

Like I said, we'll see how things go. I guess I might be a prime candidate with 400-450 miles on a built motor now... oil cooler in, working on tranny cooler and VB... possibly new radiator and TC upgrade.

I've decided I'm not gonna gauge it out. I'll have probably an oil pressure and oil temp gauge inside the engine bay. Inside the cabin, I'll look into what I can do about getting boost and fuel pressure, possibly AFR. I'd like all 3 to be displayed on 1 unit though and would rather not get an A-pillar.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  10. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

to do a TT set up like the JWT do you need to have a built engine? or is it just a waste to spend that much money for F/I if you're running a stock motor?

11. Frankiago

IL
    You don't have to have a built motor for a JWT TT. There's 350Z's with them on stock blocks. Some have blown their stock motor in 2-3k miles, some have blown in 20k miles. Not very many have made it past 20k miles boosted on stock block. VTR does have an excellent track record with safe tunes though.

I blew my motor with only 6.5 pounds boost. If you do go FI on stock block, it's ALWAYS recommended you have enough to rebuild the motor in the event it does go boom... otherwise you're stuck w/out a running motor in your FX until you scrounge up that cash.

The Stillen is the recommended choice when it comes to stock block FI.

12. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

Thanks for the info...really helped me out Cube

13. Frankiago

IL
    Btw, my built motor with stock NA intake is slow as balls. A V6 Ford Fusion disgraced me. I got the jump on him, then he eventually caught up around 35 mph, then kept up all the way to 70 mph, then started pulling on me :p

I have about 600 miles on the motor now, and with the reduced compression ratio, heavier and stronger internals, and heavy rims, this thing is SLOW!

I offer to drive places whenever we go somewhere just so I can put some mileage on the motor so I can be assured the motor is broken in properly before adding twins.

14. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

so you're going greddy TT for sure?

15. Frankiago

IL
    Eh, realistically, probably the JWT TT. We'll see though.

16. I would go with the Greddy TT for power potential. The Greddy has been proven time and time again for the Gs and Zs. At $5500 for a full kit with FMIC you really cant go wrong. I would however spend the extra $3000 for a HKS Fcon/tune either stock block or built.