Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Any add their own HU to the factory amp inputs?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Electronics & Lighting' started by gchristopher9, Nov 1, 2007.

1. I am trying to add an Alpine DIN unit (CDA-X001) to my clock location and want to wire into the factory amp. i'd like for it trigger a 2 -> 1 RCA switch, that goes from the factory radio to my aftermarket radio, with the outputs to the factory amp. i want to keep the functionality of my factory hu for CD's and radio, and use the alpine just for MP3. Anyone tried cutting into the factory line level wires, and adding their own HU yet? or will i be the first?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    I am pretty sure that Rookie and Dr.2K have aftermarket HU's in addition with the factory unit. Few posts down they have their systems posted.... hopefully they will chime in.

3. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

what's HU?

4. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

Head Unit

5. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Look at the thread here. I had my audio guy do all the installation. Look thru it and let me know if you have questions.
    My System - Alpine IVA-D310 with Tech Package - InfinitiScene.com

6. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

i actually did see that, looks real nice.

my question really though was did your guy CUT the line level inputs to the factory amplifier, and then splice them into the RCA outputs of the alpine hu? This is what i'm hoping to do, but also have it be able to switch BACK to the line level output from the factory HU for playing the radio and CD's.

7. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

also....how much cutting was required to actually fit the HU behind the clock there? was there anything he had to do to support it, or is the little aluminum cage with the tabs bent back sufficient?

8. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I do not know exactly if he did cut the line level inputs but I do not think so as I still use the CD player thru the aux port on the alpine and with this still have volume control thru the factory unit for this. But I do NOT have audio for my factory Nav as that is now routed to the alpine unit for its nav. I am also still using the oem amp and sub. Hope this answers your question, sorry if it doesn't but I do not have any audio background.

I am pretty sure what you are asking can be done. Are you doing this install yourself? If so good luck to you.

9. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Only cutting that was needed was just enough to fit the HU. No other supports were needed. Just have to clear some of the wires back there to make room for the HU.

10. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

It sounds like what he did was CUT the factory line level wires. then he went from the factory hu into your aftermarket hu, and then from the aftermarket HU back to the factory amp. If this is in fact the case then i'm pretty sure i'll be able to do what i want.

my only gripe with a setup like that would be that the volume can be controlled by two seperate knobs. instead of running one source THROUGH the other one, i want it to be able to switch back and forth between the two. IE, when the factory setup is running, the aftermarket HU is useless, and vice versa.

yes i'm going to be doing it all myself. i'll be sure to take some pics and report in as soon as i can.

11. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Yes, you are right in that it can be a bit annoying having two different volume controls. But for my purposes it was ok since I hardly ever listen to any CD's. All I do is just set the volume knob on the factory unit somewhere close to where I normally listen to the alpine unit and forget about it. After that all I use is the steering wheel volume control to control the alpine unit. Is there a reason you rather listen to the the factory radio and not the alpine radio?

12. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

Well the alpine CDA-X001 isn't really radio friendly. it doesn't have preset buttons on the front panel. it is a keystroke to get to a list, and then the jog wheel to then select the station. i also like how the factory radio displays station and song info. not sure if the X001 can do that, as i just took it out of the box for the first time about a half hour ago. it is build strictly as an ipod radio, at least thats how it seems, which is great because thats all i really want it for.

13. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Hmm...if ipod integration is what you are really after, have you looked into the nissan ipod integration kit? But its your decision so whatever you do I hope it works out well for you.

Btw, that unit looks like a very cool unit.

14. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

yes i did that was one of the first things i considered. i'm coming out of an explorer that had an AVN6600 for ipod control. the though of having to browse 50 gigs of music with 4 buttons and a 1 line 10 character display makes me want to vomit so that is out of the question. the new one is slick, its got a jog wheel, and even displays album art! now i just have to open the face plate up and change the red LEDs to match my OEM orange and i'll be straight!

15. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Sounds cool! Post pics and let us know how the install goes. Good luck.

16. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

while your answering so quickly, are your fogs projectors? i have a 9006 HID kit from my old ride that i might drop it, but dont want to be blinding people. any issues with that?

17. Deecarp

Deecarp Premium Member Premium

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Just one thing when you remove clock there will be a module you have to move and relocate in order to make room for your head unit. Take your time and plan carefully and mock fit you HU to see what or how much room you have first before any cutting.

18. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Yes, i do have projector angel eye fog lights...well not really projector but the same effect. It has a cut off too but it is also integrated with HID kit. This fog light kit uses an H3 bulb but it also comes with an 9006 adapter too for those who only use the normal 9006 halogen bulb. No blinding issues at all even when I just had the normal 9006 HID kit in the factory fog lights. The look is so much better and with much improved road vision.

19. zebra555

zebra555 www.tuner-store.com iS VIP

Miami
    2004 Infiniti FX35 Supercharged
    Garages:

Did you successfully install steering wheel adapter to control your radio?
    Let me know. I have no luck with this one.
    Thanks