Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 About fuel level problem on fx35?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by muchilus, Feb 7, 2008.

1. you may be notice if you owned a fx 35, a problem with fuel level sensor , i have change the level units twice, at the beginning start working properly , you full the tank of gas, but after a while, start sending wrong level, like half tank even with the full tank.

i'm tired of that shit! i want to now if any of yours experience some similar problems and how to fix it.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I had this problem when I first got mine, but changed the fuel pump & the other sensor & been fine ever since, but only a few months since then too, so??:p

3. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    you need to bring it to infiniti to change the sensor on the gas-tank side of the wiring, i had the same issue.

4. bro, i've change the fuel level sensor that is locate in the back seat of the driver side.
    is my second unit.

???
    to solve this problem i have to change the fuel pump? is not make sense.

quote=jbaker1121;18855]you need to bring it to infiniti to change the sensor on the gas-tank side of the wiring, i had the same issue.[/quote]

5. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    there are 2 floats, one of them is part of the fuel punp assy, can't get it seperate... good thing is, fuel pump is considered drivetrain, so a decent dealer may be able to cover it under that even if your reg warenty is expired...

6. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Dealership replaced both fuel senders on mine and I havent had the problem since.

7. where is located the second fuel level?

you say if i change the fuel pump should fix the problem.? taking in mind that already change the fuel level sensor of the gasoline?

8. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:

thats what i meant to say before. haha

9. so, i'm going to be force to change also the fuel pump, the god damm fuel level is doing the same thing again even with just least of 2 weeks of use.

10. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    the fuel tank is actually kinda like 2 tanks, side by side. there connected in the center of course, but baffles & angle of the vehicle would make a reading from either side inacurate... on such a wide flat tank, a lean to the left & only a float on the left would show way more fuel level than real, same goes for the opposite.

what it appears infiniti has done is use 2 floats, one on either side, & then averages the readings for a more acurate gauge. so with half a tank, & the fx leaned hard to one side, the side leaned to will show almost full while the side against the lean would show almost empty, averages to half a tank....

that's why it's hard to know which is faulty, & that's why many will just replace both... only problem is, one of the floats is just a float & one also houses the fuel pump, so one side is $100+ & the other is 300+...

11. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    really? they did the fixup for free for me :rofl:

12. yes, you have to buy the fuel pump that incorporate a level sensor two for the rear right side to fix the problem.

13. Mikefx3508

Mikefx3508 Guest

Well when i fill up full tank (93 all the way) it goes down 1/4. Then i start the car again and its on full again. Is that sorta like yur prob?

14. durak2000

durak2000 Member

I've been having the same problem on my '03 for a little under a year now. It was all over the place in higher temperatures but somehow fixed itself when the temps dropped down to 20's-30's.

I am dumbstruck at this point... I know that if I bring it to my stealership, they'll charge me an arm and a leg just for checking it out. I am out of warranty.

15. Mikefx3508

Mikefx3508 Guest

Also, sometimes i drive around half a mile and i see a significant drop in fuel level. Then it goes back up after a while. What's up with that?

16. evetr since I've replaced my fuel pump to the Walbro 250, my fule level reads empty about 2-3 galons sooner than empty. The light comes on and I'd drive it a good 20 mile and when I fill it up it filles up to less than 19 galons. Also, the MPG has not been correct. It reads over 25MPG where it should be less than 15.

17. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Crap, I have a Walbro 255 going in a couple months from now... I hope I don't have the same issues and hopefully it's not related to the fuel pump.

18. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Should not have problems with the level if you make sure you keep level sensor in the same location/position when changing the pump.

19. Do you guys know how much it will cost to fix this problem if it's not covered by warranty?