Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

3.5L 2010 FX35 Unable to start engine sometimes

Discussion in 'QX70 Engine & Drivetrain' started by presto604, Feb 7, 2016.

1. presto604

presto604 Member

Vancouver
    2010 FX35
    My 2010 FX35 the engine can't start with first try from time to time. It's been happening over 6 months and it happens about once or twice a week. Sometimes it takes 2, 3 times tries to start the engine. It feels like the rpm is low, and the engine failed to start.

I have replaced the battery at first but the problem persists. At the dealer, they said my fuel pressure drops over 15Psi in less than 30 min, and advise to replace the fuel pump. But the problem is still there after they replaced the fuel pump. The 2nd time they updated the software, but the problem is still not fixed.

Does any owners have similar issues? My powertrain warranty will be up in Aug of 2016.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. illestFX35

illestFX35 Member

Los Angeles/Glendale
    2010 FX35 RWD
    I have this issue. You may not be holding the start button long enough. hold it for like 3 sec until the engine ignites. It happens to many 2nd gens and I don't think there was a fix for it. It usually happens to me when the weather is warm.

3. jdTrader

jdTrader Staff Moderator

Michigan
    2009 FX50S
    Garages:
    This happened to me once and I hand cleaned the throttle bodies and never the slightest problem since. Don't have the dealer do it since it's not the same as hand doing it.

4. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    how many miles do you have?

check the throttle bodies for buildup, run a fuel cleaner thru the gas tank, clean your air filter, do an ECU reset via pedals (search for the DIY it's easy) see if the problem persists. That will help to see if it is fuel etc related.

otherwise:
    I have an issue sometimes in the cold with my FX50 actually turning over because the v8 takes 700+ to start and sometimes even the factory-spec battery can't handle it in <30 deg temperatures. Dealer checked charging system, it was fine. Battery fine. No big power drain when car off.... just an Infiniti thing related to the button start.

5. OP
    OP
    presto604

presto604 Member

Vancouver
    2010 FX35
    About 50,000 miles. I just took my car to the dealer for the 3rd time, and they kept my car for 3 days and they can't reproduce the problem.

6. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    alll I'd say is to check the starter -- or try to turn the car to ACC first for a moment, then try starting it.

7. ATL_FX35

ATL_FX35 Member

Pasadena, TX
    2010 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Sorry to bump this old thread but my wife's 2010 FX35 is experiencing the same issue now. We have about 110K miles on the car, just replaced the battery but I will look into the other suggestions in this thread. OP, did you ever take it back to the dealer again for the same issue?

Thanks,

John

8. illestFX35

illestFX35 Member

Los Angeles/Glendale
    2010 FX35 RWD
    I cleaned my throttle bodies ONCE. And never had this issue ever again.

ATL_FX35 likes this.
  9. ATL_FX35

ATL_FX35 Member

Pasadena, TX
    2010 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Thanks illest, that will definitely be the next thing I do. Other than this starting issue the FX has been solid all these years.

10. OP
    OP
    presto604

presto604 Member

Vancouver
    2010 FX35
    I took it back to a different dealer and they did fuel injection service. The problem never happened again since Sept 2016.

But since May 2017, sometimes I can not start my engine. The brake pedal is stiff and the air condition and radio would be on. I didn't hear engine cranking at all. It has happened about 5 times since May 2017. The only way to start the engine i to jump start the car.

I took it to the same dealer, but they can't reproduce the issue. So right now I have a portable batter jump starter in my car.

My battery was replaced in 2016.

11. DatMan

DatMan Premium Member Premium

Ottawa, ON
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Dat
    Sounds like your problem is electrical. VERY weird if you don't hear a crank... Listen for a tick when you try to start your engine. If there's even ANY juice in the battery, you'll at least hear a tick as it tries to turn over the engine. Since you have a new battery, I would suggest removing the connectors to the battery, scrubbing them with a wire brush and then wiping them clean. When you put them back, use a safe anti-seize on them so help lubricate and prevent corrosion in the future. Dealers never really look at these sort of small details. They'll just get in the car and try to "replicate" your starting problems and if they can't, they shrug their shoulders and move on to the next car... If this isn't your problem, you might need to look into the alternator. Could be that it's not properly recharging your battery... Last but not least, check the battery under load. Even though it's fairly new, you could have a bad battery.

12. OP
    OP
    presto604

presto604 Member

Vancouver
    2010 FX35
    I have figured out the cause of the issue and want to share with others.

It's the rubber mat on driver's side. The rubber mat slides forward occasionally, and cause the brake pedal not fully engaged when I tried to start the engine. The worn heelcup hole on the mat (noticed about 1 year ago) makes this happen more frequently. I have removed the rubber mat 6 months ago and I never have this engine problem anymore.

I told this to Infiniti dealer in my most recent oil change. The confirmed that I shouldn't put the rubber mat on top of fabric mat in driver's side. This may cause the gas pedal to accidentally pressed or not engaging the brake pedal fully.

However, when I bought my FX35 in the same dealership in 2010, they were the one who put the rubber mat on top of fabric mat when I received my car. And I kept it like that since.