Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

2006 Shifter Panel Upgrade

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Write-Ups' started by fxlr8, Jul 21, 2007.

1. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Shifter Panel Upgrade

1. Remove center console following instructions:

shiterremoval.jpg

2. Remove old shifter panel top and bottom by unscrewing the screws on the underside of the old panel.

1.jpg

3. Put the new 2006 shifter panel and bottom boot together in the hole and screw the two pieces together with the 3 screws in red.

2.jpg

4. Now you are going to align the new shifter, on the two I did I pushed them all the way forward towards the front of the car and then centered it left and right.

Allign the panel in a way where you can shift through all gears smoothly.....and then do the next step

3.jpg

5. You then are going to figure a way to keep it from sliding around while you shift. I used 4 screws on each of the tabs shown in blue...you can use double sided tape but I am not sure how well that will work while trying to align the piece.

2.jpg

REMEMBER: do not screw the screw all the way in or you might go through the metal on the other side.
    4.jpg

(MAKE SURE YOU ATTACH THE LIGHT UNDER THE SHIFT PANEL)

6. Put the completed panel and console back on the car, what I did was reattached all the wires.... make sure all items on the console work (lights, hazard signal, seat warmers, etc.). I then put the shifter in neutral and then slid the console on the shifter making sure I go through the shift indicator slider on the shifter panel.

5.jpg

7. Put your shift knob back on and make sure you can shift through all gears... after that put all your console pieces back together and your done!!

finished.jpg

Attached Files:

• shiterremoval.jpg
      shiterremoval.jpg
      File size:
      89.3 KB
      Views:
    • shiterremoval.jpg
      shiterremoval.jpg
      File size:
      89.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      109.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
    • finished.jpg
      finished.jpg
      File size:
      99.6 KB
      Views:
    • finished.jpg
      finished.jpg
      File size:
      99.6 KB
      Views:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I'm having a ridiculously hard time.

There doesn't seem to be enough clearance for shifting from park to down-shifting in manual mode. In park it is just barely pushing up on the panel as a whole, and when in manual mode, down-shifting pushes the panel down to where you can ever-so-slightly see the hole on the top left just showing maybe a quarter of an inch.

It's raining now so I was getting frustrated and hot inside the car with the windows up.

I positioned it as far back and to the right as I possibly could without the hole showing, and then masking taped it in place. Took a drive around the block and down-shifting in manual mode was near impossible. Anybody with an '03 fit the chrome shift panel in without an issue? :sad:

3. OP
    OP
    fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    Is the shifter hitting the plate or is it the boot that is pulling the shifter panel?

4. Frankiago

IL
    It very well could be the boot, I was trying to tug the boot up to see if that was the issue and I wasn't getting anywhere. Do you remember doing anything specifically to the boot that helped with an issue? It would make sense that the boot is the culprit since so many others haven't had a problem with shifting.

5. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    i want to do this :(
    how much does the panel usually cost

6. Frankiago

IL
    Usually $48 + shipping. infinitipartsusa.com

+$2 in screws

+$0.65 in wire taps or splicing materials (for the green wire to red wire 2nd bulb)

+$0.08 in masking tape for securing the panel while ensuring the shifting is smooth

7. OP
    OP
    fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    The boot at the beginning gave me slight tension when down shifting in manu-matic. After months of having it on the tension got less and now no there is no tension at all. I would fit it so the panel covers all the gaps...doesn't give you problems placing it in park and gives you slight tension in downshifting. Over time the boot will stretch out.

8. Does anyone have a picutre of the '06 shift plate with Momo Knobs, without the boot. I saw Rookie has the Momo but with the boot on. I don't like the boot.

9. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Not exactly the perfect picture of the shifter panel mod and it is not totally bootless :p. But I think you can see the 06 shifter panel and the boot from these pictures. I didn't like the leather boot covering up the bottom chrome sifter piece on the momo so the boot was modded to sit low. Just had to invert the boot and open the stitching up a bit more to give it more room.
    DSC02503Large.jpg

DSC02487Large.jpg

DSC02492Large.jpg

Attached Files:

10. I guess with my black interior, and the Silver/Chrome Momo knob, the boot will not look half bad.

I figured I will invert the boot neck like you did, tie a zip-tie around the neck tight enough to fit the shaft, and put it trough. This should make it clean enough.

11. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    You can't zip tie the neck of the boot when its inverted as you will not have enough clearance room for the shaft to move up and down through the gears. Like I said, you have to loosen the boot neck more to make room for the movement of the shifter.

12. I get it now.

13. I was looking for this item on infinitipartsusa.com. The shift panel is listed for $312, but above Frankiago says its about $48. I was given a part #, but its not coming up either. So can somebody provide me a link to the item? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  14. Frankiago

IL
    I'll probably be selling mine soon anyways... it doesn't fit the wood dash kit (dash kit is fitted for the original one, the newer one is very slightly smaller).

I already have all the mounting screws and everything, including spliced in the 2nd light that doesn't come included (use the existing one on '03-'05 version).

Other than that I'll try to find it for ya online...

15. Thanks, cause I can't find it...lol. I have the first gen as well, aluminum. Let me know if you decide to part with yours.

16. Frankiago

IL
  17. theMerchant

theMerchant iS VIP iS VIP

18. Thanks, let me know if you plan to part with yours.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

I also see with this post that everyone is talking about the Momo Shifter, given that our FX shifter has a safety feature, does the Momo provide the same? Im kinda looking around, but want to make sure Im ordering the right kind of shift knob, is there a term for it? Also sorry for the hijack.

19. theMerchant

theMerchant iS VIP iS VIP

the momo works since it will "push" down for the shifter lock release.

20. Frankiago

IL
    I'll also be selling the black Momo shift knob too :shame: