What's New Home Forum Top
Supporter Rides
Register
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and are only allowed limited access to the forum. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?
Here are a few of the many reasons why you should join our site...

• Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Our members experience fewer Ads.
  • You can earn a free virtual garage/gallery.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!
    Fire0nic3 Guest

Electronics Has anyone used Generic D2S bulbs?

Hey guys

I was wondering has anyone used generic aftermarket D2S bulbs? I have some DDM tuning D2S bulbs to replace the stock HID d2S bulbs. I was wondering if their okay to use or trust? Anyone on here use aftermarket ones besides? I don't mean high end ones like Phillips or Morimoto, just generic ones.

Someone told me all D2S HID bulbs are the same. And that the only reason Phillips bulbs and other high end bulbs cost more is cause the life expectancy is longer.

Register

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2005 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Wont hurt the FX but yes life expectancy usually is decreased with lesser quality bulbs.

Fire0nic3 Guest
    I hav the 6000K Phillips Ultinon D2S bulbs and I hate them. Their not the color I was looking for. The light output is good, but they look pink for some reason. So thats why I was looking into something different instead of the Ultinons.

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2005 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Maybe a bad set. I never heard of a pink tint to the Philips bulbs, they are quality bulbs. Mtec bulbs are pretty good too but a bit pricey.

Ride
    2004 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Although DDM Tuning is on the cheaper end of the scale, their products are pretty decent. Jim Powell does a bang up job. We have used them on the Titan, Z4, Mazdaspeed Miata, a few 636s, a ZX-10R, and a couple more I cannot recall. They worked just fine. In fact the Titan was driven through water coming over the hood and up to the windshield with the headlights and foglights on (with DDM Tuning HID kits) and nothing happened. It was so much fun I drove through it a few more times lol.

With mass manufacturing there is almost a hit or miss king of thing. Out of all those kits and more (possibly 12 or so bought from them) we had one failure on a 636.
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 05-22-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Ride
    2006 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I'm using a set of D2S bulbs from www.ijdmtoy.com and am completely satisfied with the bulbs so far. No complaints.

RiSC
    TXFX
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I read that pink is a sign that your bulbs are dying. how old are your ultinons? I have the 5000K Philips and i love them. I have DDM's in my fogs and they're still working. If you want to sell you 6000K's let me know, i'd like to try them out.

Ride
    2004 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    :mask:
    Quote Originally Posted by myl168 View Post
    I read that pink is a sign that your bulbs are dying. how old are your ultinons? I have the 5000K Philips and i love them. I have DDM's in my fogs and they're still working. If you want to sell you 6000K's let me know, i'd like to try them out.
    Yep you sir are correct. Pink is the first sign of failure for xenon bulbs, sometimes accompanied by flickering. Take a look at Touaregs, once in a while you will come across one with a pink headlight on one side, most owners don't seem to know there is/was a TSB for their Touaregs.

RiSC
    604FX
    Ride
    2009 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    i use generic ones from ebay or other local rice shops. the way i see it i can burn through 3-5 pairs for the price of 1 pair of phillip or similiar bulbs. Hell i can even switch it up and try 8000k I still won't feel hurt by the cost.

I do notice that even if i buy 2 set of bulbs from the same place the color are always a little off so I make sure to switch both out at the same time

Ride
    2003 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Yeah, i bought the $25 Ebay ones (w/ free shipping) and so far no issues after almost 2 years