What's New Home Forum Top
Supporter Rides
Register
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and are only allowed limited access to the forum. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?
Here are a few of the many reasons why you should join our site...

• Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Our members experience fewer Ads.
  • You can earn a free virtual garage/gallery.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Thread: Using the AWD

Ride
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 

NewB Using the AWD

I got my 07 FX 35 AWD for about two months now and never once did I ever engage the AWD system. The only reason I even got an AWD was because the car got everything else I wanted at a reasonable price and the AWD just so happen to be a bonus. I'm starting to worry that if I don't have the system engage every once in a while it might not work when I really need it. I know the system is automated but how do you AWD folks give it a work out without driving over a snow covered field?

Register

RiSC
    DMV
    Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Bro some FX will have the AWD and only will engage it at low speed on a slippery surface.. Mind you is all wheel drive not a 4x4 or the type of vehicles that alway have all terrain mode engage.. I don't think the FX is all wheel drive even if it had it at 70+ miles per hours

Ride
    2009 FX50S
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    not sure if this is true in earlier years but on the 09 Fx AWD is engaged when 7% slip is recorded by the back wheels. No matter what speed. As well the snow mode will start in 2nd and engage AWD until 30 km/hr

RiSC
    DMV
    Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I might be wrong..

Name
    John Green
    Ride
    2004 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx35-man View Post
    I got my 07 FX 35 AWD for about two months now and never once did I ever engage the AWD system. The only reason I even got an AWD was because the car got everything else I wanted at a reasonable price and the AWD just so happen to be a bonus. I'm starting to worry that if I don't have the system engage every once in a while it might not work when I really need it. I know the system is automated but how do you AWD folks give it a work out without driving over a snow covered field?
    You will allways start out in AWD .Try a road with some loose dirt on it or do some tight cornering on a wet surface but make sure to turn off the VDC or you will heat up your brakes when you are breaking it loose Explanation of this below.

Snow button...does two things:

1. Reduces throttle sensitivity. This means that if you slam on the gas pedal, it will purposely open the throttle (butterfly valve in the throttle body) much slower than if you were not in snow mode, resulting in a more controlled acceleration from stop.

2. Raises the AWD-RWD transfer speed. Like many others here, I don't know the EXACT speed at which the ECU tells the TCU to make a RWD powertrain. Again, from what I remember, this number is 19mph. In snow mode, you will maintain the AWD start for higher speeds than if the button was not depressed. The transmission will still be RWD biased and will revert to a RWD, just a little later on.

The '03 models did not have a snow button, but rather an AWD Lock button, which did the same thing except did not have the throttle sensitivity adjust that the snow mode has.

ATTESA E-TS traction system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infiniti's advanced Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system with Traction Control System (TCS) is standard on all FX models. VDC adjusts brake pressure and engine torque automatically in understeer, oversteer or slippery road surface situations, helping the driver keep the intended path.

The ATTESA E-TS™ (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) all-wheel drive system utilized on FX45 and FX35 AWD uses an advanced torque split control strategy that automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. The system provides outstanding handling due to optimum torque distribution for front and rear SNOW MODE(50:50 up to 0:100). ATTESA E-TS™ also provides high starting traction performance and smooth, stable acceleration, especially in snow-covered or off-road situations with a 50:50 torque split at standing start.
    Last edited by MTN FX; 07-10-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Ride
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Thanks guys for the quick response! I never knew the AWD is engage right when you start the car and switches over to RWD once a certain speed is met. Very interesting info! Well that settles my worry about never engaging it.

RiSC
    TXFX
    Ride
    2007 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    To test: Find a corner, turn into it sharply, and push the throttle down. That should engage the AWD. Probably best to do it in a parking lot though. *Do at your own risk*