What's New Home Forum Top
Supporter Rides
Register
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and are only allowed limited access to the forum. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?
Here are a few of the many reasons why you should join our site...

• Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Our members experience fewer Ads.
  • You can earn a free virtual garage/gallery.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!
    Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 

Wheels / Suspension HOW TO: drill aftermarket rims for tpms

ok, had to do this last week for my IForged wheels... it's pretty simple but I took a few shots to be able to give a quick guide to doing this... the biggest problem or fear for most is that they'll drill a hole & then it won't work, thereby ruining there rim. well, if you follow the procedures I used you won't have to worry all that much, as it's the best way to properly locate & drill this one simple, but oh so intimidating hole...

many aftermarket rims, especially 3 piece wheels & rims with wide lips, will usually load the tire from the back of the wheel instead of the front like the OEM wheels. this will mean that the recessed channel that creates a step in the lip will be in the back of the wheel instead of the front. this recessed step is usually where the tire valve is located, but since the recessed lip is in the back of these aftermarket rims, they usually use some other sort of way to allow a tire valve to be used & accessed from the front. usually it's some sort of proprietary design & accesses the air fill from somewhere in the center of the rim & this valve fill location is usually unusable for the tpms sensor, as it's designed to sit in the stepped lip area that is now on the back of the wheel.

in many cases it can be as simple as just drilling your own valve stem hole in the correct spot on the rear stepped lip & walla, instant tpms compatibility. it is up to you to determine if your lip looks suitable for this, & not all will always be on exactly the right angle, but even a little off the tpms can still be mounted... these pictures are from my fronts & the tpms fits perfectly, but the rear lips were a little different & the tpms sat a bit off the rim, still works fine though & is still protected somewhat in case of a flat, but it is always ideal that they sit like shown in these pictures, all the way up into the channel...

__________________________________________________ _________________

tools needed:

first step, once you sure that the tpms will sit in the rim is to determine exactly where to drill the hole. if you drill it in the wrong spot then not only will the sensor not sit right in the wheel, but it is possible it won't even seal... if you drill on the edge of a flat or off on a curve then the sensor will not seal... the sensor needs to sit on a relatively flat area to seal properly.... the correct spot for this hole is very critical, you shouldn't just eyeball it or wing it, the best way to properly find the exact spot is to use the tpms tightening nut/collar to locate a flat area for it to sit on

place the collar on the flat part of the step, determine a spot that it can sit flat, this is where you want it to sit on final tightening. use the 23/64th's bit to locate the precise center of this spot. the sensor should be located directly opposite the factory valve stem for balancing, actually counterbalancing against the original valve... if you placed it at the same spot on the rim as the other fill valve you will be creating a heavy area that will need much wheel weights to make up for, always space them 180% opposite each other...

the bit will fit in the collar snug enough to be perfectly straight & centered, but not tight enough that you can't spin the bit... it'll glide on the inner surfaces of the collar nut & not damage it at all... use this bit to drill into the wheel just enough to give you the center point. you don't want to go all the way through with this bit, drill enough to get a good point

& then remove the bit & switch it out for a small bit. use the small bit to drill your pilot hole. 1/8th" is good, little bigger or smaller is also ok, nothing 1/4" or larger though. a small bit will go through straight & not walk... run the bit through the center of the collar nut,

use the collar nut as a guide to drill straight & at the same angle as the nut will sit on the flat part of the step... drill straight through

now the pilot hole will make drilling the large hole easy... the large bit will always follow the pilot hole(hence the reason it's called a pilot hole) & be in the precise spot it needs to be. you cannot drill through the center of the collar nut with your last bit, cause the final hole is larger than the center of the collar nut, but you should still hold the collar nut right along side the hole you will be drilling, still using it as a guide to your angle & straightness relative to how the collar sits on the rim

the final bit I use is 7/16... this is the size of the final hole for all normal car valve stems... actually 7/16th's is a little tight, I rather run the drill through a few times to clean it up till it fits snug than stare at a hole that's too loose. after running it through with the 7/16, clean up & debur the inner side of the hole, as it's the sealing surface for the sensor.

try to wiggle the sensor in, if it goes in great, if not, run the bit through the hole a few times & try again... it won't need much... once the sensor is in, tighten till the seal bulges, you don't need to necessarily crank them till they bottom, just tighten them till you have nice rubber compression & it's good to go...

of course you could just ignore all of this, just chuck up a 7/16'th bit & wing it, eyeball it straight & centered & bang, poke the hole... I've done that before but this method is def the safest way to get it right & worth the trouble... a pilot hole is always a good idea for any large hole drilling & helps the large bit go through like butter rather than burning out & walking all over the place..

Register
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9770.jpg 
Views:	2737 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	1012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9774.jpg 
Views:	2615 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9775.jpg 
Views:	2617 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	1014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9776.jpg 
Views:	2584 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	1015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9777.jpg 
Views:	2657 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	1016  

Last edited by turbocad6; 05-25-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 

Name:	IMG_9779.jpg 
Views:	2536 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	1017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9781.jpg 
Views:	2797 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	1018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9782.jpg 
Views:	2512 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	1019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9783.jpg 
Views:	2509 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	1020  

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2005 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Nice write-up John. iforged had already done similar for me with my wheels and it has worked out very well. I actually have 2 holes, one for the air valve stem on the outer side and one on the inner side for the tpms.

Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I have the same, 2 holes, the tpms sensor does not need to be used to fill the tire, I have the iforged ones on the front too...

forgot to mention that the tpms should be 180% opposite the original tire valve for balancing purposes...

RiSC
    TXFX
    Ride
    2007 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I used a bit about that big once. It was like $30!

Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    wow, I forgot I even put this thread up, always thought to but forgot that I actually did just seen it doing a search for tpms to find a place to post this:

good thing I have the tpms, last night I left the shop really late & I jumped in the fx & shot towards the highway all of a sudden after a block or 2 my dash starts beeping a long beeeee-p, I look & it tells me I have a flat, check my tpms display & see it's the right rear, down to 25psi. I get out & look at it, it looks fine, I feel it, it feels fine, so I think hmm, maybe a sensor problem? break out a pressure gauge & sure enough, 25psi. I went back parked the fx & took my other car home. checked it today & yeah, she caught a thorn in her paw... a nice long screw right in the middle of the tread :frown: plugged her up & good to go. without the tpms I would have never known... I love the tpms

also want to add if you don't have tpms, it doesn't mean you can't have it. I put an aftermarket set of tpms on my other car & they are really cool. in a way the aftermarket tpms is even better than the oe setup, because the aftermarket sends a reading as soon as you start the car, where the factory setup needs you to drive a little bit to reactivate the sensors before you can even get a warning. also the aftermarket has it's own display showing the location of each wheel & you can set low & high warning limits unlike the factory which can't be changed or adjusted at all. I put a set of hre's on the other car & they also needed to be redrilled, just like these iforged. a few shots:

finding a good spot on the hre's was tough, there for a fwd car so the wheel is a bit different from what would be on an fx, I winded up having to put them in the middle of the rim

the aftermarket ones I used are 2 piece & are adjustable for mounting angle which helps, where the oems are fixed & if the angle is no good not much you can do.

I needed a little more angle so I had to drill new holes. I winded up siliconing them in after so they are very secure too

here is the valve mounted before mounting the sensor

Name:	Picture 032.jpg 
Views:	4080 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	1500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 036.jpg 
Views:	2294 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	1501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 031.jpg 
Views:	2276 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	1502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 024.jpg 
Views:	2267 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	1503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 016.jpg 
Views:	2254 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	1504  

Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    sensor mounted

wheels are dusty as hell in this shot but I redid them fresh black centers & resealed & reassembled the wheels & now they don't leak at all. here you can see where the new valve exits between the spokes.. easy enough to use where it is & enough clearance to the brakes & everything else on this car. I have to fill the tire from the new valve because HRE screwed up this set of wheels by drilling the original hole for the tire valve way too close to the 3 piece seal & they were plauged with constant leaks before I redid them. you can see where the original valve was opposite the new valve. I had to just seal off the original holes all togeather to make these rims even usable again

Name:	Picture 025.jpg 
Views:	2214 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	1505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 026.jpg 
Views:	2278 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	1506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 030.jpg 
Views:	2215 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	1507  

RiSC
    TSFX
    Ride
    2009 FX50
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    oh thanks man you drilled those just for me? haha

.....great write-up!!

Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    haha, offsets a bit off for you bro, I can drill my maya's or assanti's just for you though :cool: :tonguey:

also forgot to add that the aftermarket setup also gives temperatures too! a really nice thing to add to any car that don't have tpms. I won't ever have another car without it. oh yeah, one more thing... the aftermarket kit has the ability to add another 5th sensor for the spare too... & you can get 4 extra sensors for your winter wheels for like another 100 bucks & reprogram yourself whenever you swap wheels or rotate your tires even. I like the aftermarket setup so much that I kinda wish I used that in the fx instead of the factory sensors... if anyone is interested in thinking about the aftermarket tpms this is the kit I used & I got it from these people. I haven't been able to find it anywhere else

http://www.vivaperformance.com/catal...roducts_id=444

this is what the display control looks like. yeah it lights up green so maybe that would need to be modded to orange in an fx, I need to mod my other one to red eventually. it even shows battery life for each sensor, along with psi & temp & position on car. the display is tiny & can fit above the rear view mirror along the edge of the headliner

and the kit, very easy to install, just 3 wire hook up, power/ign & ground

Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I bought giovanna 2 piece wheel. there is the same, 2 holes.
    i don't know why there is 2 holes. but..I understand what it is..
    great write up.

RiSC
    MWFX
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    This is a great write-up. Decided to drill my wheels instead of using adapters. My mechanic drills TPMS on wheels all the time, but still nice for me to provide him with a printout of this and the exact tools you use for Infiniti 2003-2008 TPM sensors (TPMS).

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

BTW I was googling this to see pictures, and who would have thought our own resident Turbocad has a specific write-up for iForged and Infiniti FX03-08 that came up as a search result. That's called winning.

RiSC
    NEFX
    Ride
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Where can I find four aftermarket TPMS for $100 for my FX50 wheels since the ones that the rims came with won't work with the 1st generation FX

RiSC
    MWFX
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    http://revolutionsupply.com/AppGuide.aspx

F
    ind the part number there, then google or ebay search for the cheapest price.

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2005 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: