What's New Home Forum Top
Supporter Rides
Register
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and are only allowed limited access to the forum. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?
Here are a few of the many reasons why you should join our site...

• Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Our members experience fewer Ads.
  • You can earn a free virtual garage/gallery.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 

MAINT Vibration issue on an '05 FX35

I purchased my car about 5 weeks ago and I knew it needed tires when I bought it. I put Yokohama parada spec x right after I bought it. I have a vibration anything after 62 mph. I took it back to the tire dealer three times and they ended up force balancing them...still had the vibration. The tire dealer replaced all four today and still have the exact same vibration. He stated that the calabration is set every morning on his machines and that it is not the tires. Ok, we have established that. I took it the dealer and they couldn't figure it out. To add to the this situation, the VDS and the Slip light comes on when it wants to and it stays on until I turn the car off. It would seem that since the warning lights are staying on while I drive, there should be a stored code? I'm trying to figure out what it could be...front differential, transmission, internal engine, harmonic balance? The car is still under warranty and I'm leaving it with them on Tuesday. Any comments?

Register

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    The lights could be from spent brake pads, or fluid too low. Vibe? If it's not the tires, . . dunno. Let the dealer dig in some more.

Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Thanks. While the car was in the dealer, they checked all fluids, rotors, brakes, etc...nothing. This is weird and frustrating.

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Good Luck louky!

Psiclne Guest
    Im assuming you got it used?
    Are there wheel spacers on it?
    Are the tires inflated to the proper specs?

Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I also have FX35 05. I installed new tyres abot 3 months ago. I have the same vibration in my steering wheel at < 65MPH.

Had the wheels balanced 3 times, but vibration is still there. I do not see any dashboard lights glowing thou.

Do not know if bad brakes or rotors can cause this ?

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Actually i want to add more. After getting these new tyres on (Hankook Ventus AS RH07), i am very unhappy with the over all stability of the car too. At higher speeds, car is very unstable and feels like i am looisng control. It's a feeling when you are on the highway and very strong wind is blowing outside. Just in this case there is no wind blowing at all, but it sounds and feels exactly the same. Very frustrating.

Ride
    2006 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I think it's normal? I think Doc mentioned something about this before. He mentioned something about the tires being wide and you literally hit everything on the road and you feel more of it and steering wheel give you more feedback

Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I understand what you mentioned above. But this all started happening after new tyres were installed. earlier with the original factory tyres things are good. i loved driving at higher sppeds knowing i am having good control over the car.

Now, its just opposite. I am Jacksonville, FL. Don't know if there's any good place or mechanic who can check my car. Every time i mention anything to dealers, they always have same answer -- "Your car is in perfect shape. We will not say anything about tyres and brakes, since ou didnt buy them from here".

Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I personally checked the pads, rotors, fluids, air pressure (w/ nitrogen) etc. Everything checks out. When I bought the car, there was a balance issue, which the original tires needed replacement in a bad way. I just assumed that the balance issue was the original problem...wrong. I do realize with the 20" tires that I would feel more than an 18" but when the seats are vibrating, there's an issue...we'll wait until next week when I drop it off at the dealers. Thanks everyone for the input.

RiSC
    604FX
    Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Did the car have any accident history before? The VDC and Slip usually implies problems with brake system. However, it can be wheel bearing.

You may need a new wheel bearing and you can't not replace the bearing by yourself, you need some high pressure press machine to get the bearing out (about 5 tons of pressure) then you have to insert the bearing in the similar way. Bring it to a shop and ask the mechanics to check the wheel bearing.

Ride
    2007 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Vibration in the front end?

Check:

1) Suspension parts
    2) Tire balance and if wheel is out of round
    3) Brakes only if vibration occurs during braking
    4) Wheel hubs
    5) Motor mounts
    6) See if the car has front end damage from a accident

I would like to also ask you if you are running stock or aftermarket wheels. Either way are you running stock size tires? If you are plus sizing and you've plus sized wrong you can potentially be giving the VDC a fit. This happens a lot with the 350Z and G35 drivers with bad aftermarket wheel/tire applications.

Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I went out and checked the motor mounts and engine doesn't move a bit in forward and reverse. I also didn't noticed anything abnormal regarding a past accident. I'll have the dealer check the suspension, hubs etc. Everything on the car is factory. Tires and wheels have been ruled out since the tire dealer replaced all 4 tires and has same issue. No brake vibration when applied.

RiSC
    604FX
    Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Alignment?

Ride
    2007 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by loukywells View Post
    I went out and checked the motor mounts and engine doesn't move a bit in forward and reverse. I also didn't noticed anything abnormal regarding a past accident. I'll have the dealer check the suspension, hubs etc. Everything on the car is factory. Tires and wheels have been ruled out since the tire dealer replaced all 4 tires and has same issue. No brake vibration when applied.

Okay for my sanity... when you said everything on the car is factory you are running factory wheels with factory tire sizes right with no spacers or anything? When the dealer replaced the tires did he replace them with the same kind of Yoks? Something doesn't add up here if everything is the way you said they are. And you guys checked each wheel by themselves (without the tires) and even tried 180'ing the tires on the wheels?

Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    OK, I received a call from the dealer and they stated that the tires were not properly balanced; therefore, they re-balanced the tires and then charged me. The mechanic asked if he could take me car home and make sure the problem was solved...sure, no problem. I picked the car up and guess what? I still have the vibration. I've had an alignment, 2 sets of tires, forced balanced, suspension checked out alright, no bent rims etc. Everything is factory, no spacers...nothing extra. It seems that the vibration is in the base of the car and in the steering wheel. It starts at 65 mph and between 2500 - 3000 rpm. It's just not adding up. If I was just traveling city, it wouldn't be a big deal. I drive around 800 miles a week - that's what is driving me nuts.

Ride
    Other
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I have a long lasting vibration issue as well. Here's what I'd recommend in your case:

• Do NOT pay anymore for balancing, alignment, tires or wheels. I paid a fortune and as far as I understand from your case, it won't solve your problem. Didn't solve my problem as well..
    • Get the dealer measure the front and rear hub bearing assemblies. They should have a tool to measure play in those. If there's play, if you still have warranty and if the dealer is nice, they should replace those under warranty. I replaced 3 of mine, didn't solve my issue but still it might for you.
    • An additional bullet for the one above: the play in hub bearing assemblies is a known issue. Many people changed their bearings.
    • Get your steering wheel adjusted: There's a bolt on the steering wheel rack that adjusts the steering wheel stiffness. Get the dealership adjust it 1 tick at a time and test your ride to see if there's any improvement. They might say that "oh the steering wheel won't turn back to it's original position on a slow (like parking) full turn". That's not the case. I got mine stiffened three times. Now I only have vibration after 90mph
    • If none of the above works and if you have warranty, get your drive shaft checked.

hope it helps..

Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Hi.
    When we talk about warranty.. Is it 40K Miles or 4 years.....
    Is there any thing else to it. Are we covered for any part particularly for longer periods ?

I met a someone who drives a 350Z. He had a same issue of vibration at 65+ MPH.
    He mentioned something like changing a part which goes over the suspension and connects the wheels together. I am not a expert in these things. Coudn't understand all, but u guys may be able to make sence of it. His problem was resolved. he desn't have any vibration now.

Psiclne Guest
    Warranty is 4yrs or 60K miles....whichever comes first.

RiSC
    DMV
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybans View Post
    Hi.
    When we talk about warranty.. Is it 40K Miles or 4 years.....
    Is there any thing else to it. Are we covered for any part particularly for longer periods ?

I met a someone who drives a 350Z. He had a same issue of vibration at 65+ MPH.
    He mentioned something like changing a part which goes over the suspension and connects the wheels together. I am not a expert in these things. Coudn't understand all, but u guys may be able to make sence of it. His problem was resolved. he desn't have any vibration now.

If your warranty has run out consider picking up an extended warranty. I have my FX at the dealership now because I had play in my steering column/wheel. They did not want to replace the entire column because Infiniti can repair issue with a part. Now they started around 10:30AM and when I went back around 5:00PM, they were no where near finishing. Tech told me they had to disassemble steering column to replace the broken part. Now imagine if I had no warranty. I add this because Im having a similar issue, vibration around 65mph only, nothing before or after. I have aftermarket wheels and spacers, but a lot of members have a similar set up with no issues. Im hoping mine stim from the loose steering wheel/column. Good luck.

Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Yeah. I am planning to visit the dealer. But i always geard the dealer saying 40K miles or 4 years. I have FX35 2005. Are the warranty terms any diffrent for 05 models.

I have 2 months left to 4 years and have 41K miles. No extended warranty. Should the dealer still honor my warranty ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast