What's New Home Forum Top
Supporter Rides
Register
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and are only allowed limited access to the forum. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?
Here are a few of the many reasons why you should join our site...

• Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Our members experience fewer Ads.
  • You can earn a free virtual garage/gallery.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!
    Ride
    2005 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 

all wheel drive full time?

Do the fx45 all wheel drive shut off at a certain speed or are they full time all wheel drive?

Register

Ride
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    From my understanding its rwd based and when the rears slip the front kicks in.

RiSC
    SCiS
    Name
    Andy
    Ride
    2004 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    ^ what he said

Ride
    2011 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    With my 2009 FX50S I heard that it always starts out (from a dead stop) in 4WD and then will switch to only RWD at speeds above 12 MPH? I have never been able to spin the rear tires from a dead stop? Maybe its the VDC preventing rear wheel slip?

Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    ^^^ what she said.. j/k..
    rear wheel biased unlike lexus which is front..

RiSC
    TSFX
    Ride
    2008 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Correct for both gens. AWD FX's start in AWD mode when moving from a stop. It will then default to RWD until AWD is needed again.

Ride
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    so i was mistakened?

Name
    John Green
    Ride
    2004 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Snow button...does two things:

1. Reduces throttle sensitivity. This means that if you slam on the gas pedal, it will purposely open the throttle (butterfly valve in the throttle body) much slower than if you were not in snow mode, resulting in a more controlled acceleration from stop.

2. Raises the AWD-RWD transfer speed. Like many others here, I don't know the EXACT speed at which the ECU tells the TCU to make a RWD powertrain. Again, from what I remember, this number is 19mph. In snow mode, you will maintain the AWD start for higher speeds than if the button was not depressed. The transmission will still be RWD biased and will revert to a RWD, just a little later on.

The '03 models did not have a snow button, but rather an AWD Lock button, which did the same thing except did not have the throttle sensitivity adjust that the snow mode has.

ATTESA E-TS traction system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infiniti's advanced Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system with Traction Control System (TCS) is standard on all FX models. VDC adjusts brake pressure and engine torque automatically in understeer, oversteer or slippery road surface situations, helping the driver keep the intended path.

The ATTESA E-TS™ (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) all-wheel drive system utilized on FX45 and FX35 AWD uses an advanced torque split control strategy that automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. The system provides outstanding handling due to optimum torque distribution for front and rear SNOW MODE(50:50 up to 0:100). ATTESA E-TS™ also provides high starting traction performance and smooth, stable acceleration, especially in snow-covered or off-road situations with a 50:50 torque split at standing start.

RiSC
    MWFX
    Name
    Justin
    Ride
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    ^ what he said.

Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Nice, good info...now that it will snow tomorrow, I will play around!!! (Hopefully)

Ride
    2010 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    So this goes for the 2010 2nd gens AWDs? Starts in AWD to remain that traction then goes into RWD. What if we turn off the VDC does it still start in AWD or does turning the VDC off keep the car in RWD. I remember someone modding their AWD FX into a RWD and was able to burnout but someone said it could ruin the transmission.

Ride
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010fx35 View Post
    So this goes for the 2010 2nd gens AWDs? Starts in AWD to remain that traction then goes into RWD. What if we turn off the VDC does it still start in AWD or does turning the VDC off keep the car in RWD. I remember someone modding their AWD FX into a RWD and was able to burnout but someone said it could ruin the transmission.
    i think its the same with the 2nd gens also. If im not mistakened, theres a member here with a supercharged awd fx and drives around with the fuse off all the time

RiSC
    NEFX
    Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    The '03 models did not have a snow button, but rather an AWD Lock button, which did the same thing except did not have the throttle sensitivity adjust that the snow mode has.

Yeah this is what I have in my '03 FX I use it when it snows but dont always leave it on because I dont know if Im supposed to or if it will cause damage if its on all the time. So I use it to get out of sticky situations.

Ride
    2010 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Viperi View Post
    i think its the same with the 2nd gens also. If im not mistakened, theres a member here with a supercharged awd fx and drives around with the fuse off all the time
    Yeah i remember seeing it way long ago and read that it could ruin something. Not sure how but it goes with like towing a awd car. Its better to put it on a bed insted of just towing it on its rear wheels.

RiSC
    NWFX
    Ride
    2004 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010fx35 View Post
    Yeah i remember seeing it way long ago and read that it could ruin something. Not sure how but it goes with like towing a awd car. Its better to put it on a bed insted of just towing it on its rear wheels.
    Pulling the fuse doesn't even trigger a CEL. It wont hurt anything. The front diff is electronically actuated, so if the fuse burns out it won't kill your transmission, it will just be full time rwd.

Ride
    2010 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Its been raining pretty hard thought it be fun to burn out alittlle :). I found the thread though, sadly it died off right when a fx50 looked through the fuse boxes and only found two VDC fuses. No AWD SOL.

Ride
    Other
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    This is good info since I'm looking for an AWD.

Ride
    2004 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    i think it runs awd till 15 or 25 mph and then it just flows rwd until it detects slip

Ride
    2004 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    +1 to mostly RWD and then AWD when the system notices that a wheel or wheels are slipping.