What's New Home Forum Top
Supporter Rides
Register
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and are only allowed limited access to the forum. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?
Here are a few of the many reasons why you should join our site...

• Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Our members experience fewer Ads.
  • You can earn a free virtual garage/gallery.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 

NewB Shuttering at light acceleration

Ok...maybe someone can help me...

When I accelerate from stop I get a shutter for a bit. Now, there is a TSB that states there is too much oil, but my oil is right in between the H and L on the dipstick.
    Also, when I lift my foot off the accelerator while driving you can feel the car drag. Like it is in 4th gear of something. I have made sure that it is not. When the cruise is on and I am going down hill it constantly tries to correct itself so I can feel it accelerate and decelerate over and over again. Never on flat ground. It all started when my oil got too low recently. I am one of the fortunate people who owns an FX45 and didn't know that it burns some oil. I have 86000 miles on it now. Blue smoke when start up and all that too...goes with the territory is what I have found out...
    I have no power loss, bad fuel economy or anything else. Nothing else has changed.

Can't find anything on the net to help, anyone have any ideas?

Muzz

Register

RiSC
    MWFX
    Name
    Andy
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Sounds like you have some serious problem here. Blue smoke is a sign your engine is burning oil. Worn piston rings or valve guide allow oil enter the combustion chamber. You need an engine overhaul. I would try a bottle of those oil additive to see if it helps, but that will not be a permanent fix though.

Ride
    2004 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Well you already know about the blue smoke on cold startup, which is common.

Are you having the blue smoke during startup after the initial startup in the morning? Any knocking or pinging?

No codes? It can be a multitude of things, from dirty TB, to weird tranny problems. Are you sure it is the engine or tcould it be the transmission slipping?

Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Haven't checked codes yet. Actually doing that today. Will smoke during day after it hasn't been running for a couple hours. No knocking or pinging. My father is extremely knowledgeable about automobiles, built them his whole life, and he is stumped too. Internet has nothing regarding trans problems other than shuttering if too much oil. Which I don't have. It is almost as if the drivetrain feels "loose". Let off on the accelerator and vehicle slows considerably then when you just barely touch the accelerator you can feel the trans engage. I bought the vehicle right after the owner before me did the 7500 maintenance on the drivetrain.
    I am going to get it inspected now and while it is up I will check to see if anything looks weird.
    This all started right after my oil got too low. During which time I did not know this motor uses oil. Not sure how much was left, no oil light on but dipstick didn't register.
    Will post when I get back...

RiSC
    MWFX
    Name
    Andy
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Cool, very interested to hear what the problem was.

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Hmmm. Good idea to check the oil on a new to you car. Anyone knowwhat a 7500 ml maint on drivetrain is? or maybe you meant 75K
    I dont like the sound of blue smoke either.

Ride
    2004 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Actually thinking about it....maybe your cats are starting to clog. Ask your dad what he thinks about that.
    I assume you're using premium, if not that can sometimes cause her to act up; or bad gas.

Best of luck. Keep us in the loop.

Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Ok, just got back from inspection and the guy at the firestone dealer says to me "how many feet does the shudder last?" I said about 10 feet or so, he says take a look at this- he hands me a print out from Identifix, Inc. which states that it is the transfer case solenoid. The detail report states that the dealer replaced the transmission on this customers car which didn't change the shake. So they checked the AWD solenoid on the transfer case and it was bad. Now it says they replaced the entire case not just solenoid so I hope I don't have to do that. I have an extended warranty that covers it but still.
    Now this guy had his problem at 74000 miles, I had mine at 82000 or so...
    Well a trip to dealer is in order.
    I did mean the 75000 mile maint not the 7500 my bad...
    I will update for future when fixed, so maybe others don't have to research endlessly like I did with no answers.
    Thanks for the responses and ideas...
    Muzz

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2005 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    New tranny & gearing? Nice. Like a new car. If warranty covers, dont hold back

Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 

Shudder gone but...

Ok...so I just got back from the dealership, which by the way is 2 hours away, and they told me that there are no codes. Now here is the weird thing...so the shuddering is almost gone, don't know why. But the "drag" that I felt if getting worse. Here is what I was told. "the drag you feel is the engine braking, which it is designed to do. The computer calibrates itself to optimize your driving, so since you now live in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania instead of Los Angeles, the computer has reprogrammed itself to engine brake because you are not stop and go any longer. The hills and freeway driving have changed the program in the computer with how it shifts the trans and uses the torque converter."
    Sounds fine right? well here is my take. It is so dramatic that I can't be the only one who owns an FX45 that feels what I feel! I mean, it feels like the trans downshifts and then when you touch the accelerator, you can feel the torque converter engage heavily.
    They said it is common even on the new FX's and that they always have done that.
    I am going to leave it with the dealer for a couple days next week and let the mechanic drive it. I can't stand driving my FX any longer...it is so annoying!!!
    Am I the only one experiencing this?

RiSC
    MWFX
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
    Ok...so I just got back from the dealership, which by the way is 2 hours away, and they told me that there are no codes. Now here is the weird thing...so the shuddering is almost gone, don't know why. But the "drag" that I felt if getting worse. Here is what I was told. "the drag you feel is the engine braking, which it is designed to do. The computer calibrates itself to optimize your driving, so since you now live in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania instead of Los Angeles, the computer has reprogrammed itself to engine brake because you are not stop and go any longer. The hills and freeway driving have changed the program in the computer with how it shifts the trans and uses the torque converter."
    Sounds fine right? well here is my take. It is so dramatic that I can't be the only one who owns an FX45 that feels what I feel! I mean, it feels like the trans downshifts and then when you touch the accelerator, you can feel the torque converter engage heavily.
    They said it is common even on the new FX's and that they always have done that.
    I am going to leave it with the dealer for a couple days next week and let the mechanic drive it. I can't stand driving my FX any longer...it is so annoying!!!
    My 45 is put back to stock, Taking her in for some warranty work today, I have the initial acceleration shutter for about 5-10 feet same as you did, but I have not noticed excessive engine braking when I'm off the gas, gonna try to duplicate your problem with mine on the ride there, so we will see...

Ride
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post

Reset your ECU.....see if that helps.

RiSC
    MWFX
    Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    So the shuttering on my 45 was caused by someone putting an Extra quart in the rear diff before I bought it, so says the dealership. Never thought that would cause it but it's gone now after they took some out.
    ^^^+1 FXradar this might help if what the mechanic said was true about the hilly terrain where he lives, it might come back with time if the computer starts to learn and adapt again, but def worth a shot.