What's New Home Forum Top
Supporter Rides
Register
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
Welcome to InfinitiScene.com!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and are only allowed limited access to the forum. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?
Here are a few of the many reasons why you should join our site...

• Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Our members experience fewer Ads.
  • You can earn a free virtual garage/gallery.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!
    RiSC
    604FX
    Ride
    2009 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 

Wheels / Suspension Spare tire situation

Sooo Finally put them gtr rims on my baby. Look so sweet :cool:

I've got some question about my new wheels that hopefully is can shred some light on.
    For those of you running non stock size wheels, what do you do about your spare tire? I assume that because my spare wheel was for my 18 inch stock, I couldn't ran them with my new wheels?

I would like to just get rid of the spare however i have had bad luck with flat tires.... and i would like to have a spare just incase i go on long trip.

the 09 fx35 come in either 18inch 20inch or 21 inch stocker, are the spare tire all the same?

finally about tire rotation, because i can only rotate left and right now with the gtr wheels. how often should i rotate them?

oh and pictures coming soon :)

Register

RiSC
    GTAFX
    Name
    Wayne
    Ride
    2010 FX50S
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    As far as I know the spare size is the same for all of them since the Outside diameter of the 18, 20 and 21 are all the same.

If your tires are directional, you cannot move them from left to right unless you get the tires moved from one rim to the other.

Pics, we want pics :tup:

RiSC
    TSFX
    Ride
    Other
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    my car came with 18s, but i got 20s with 275/45 tires. Ran the spare on the rear for a month with no big issues, just becareful.

Idiotically hit 80+ with the spare on cause it was so stable didnt even felt it. Its also good for some tokyo dreeeeeeefto jkjk haha

but yeah, temp wise you should be fine. just dont make it permanent like some people.. err... hehe..

RiSC
    604FX
    Ride
    2009 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by GEE35FX View Post
    As far as I know the spare size is the same for all of them since the Outside diameter of the 18, 20 and 21 are all the same.

If your tires are directional, you cannot move them from left to right unless you get the tires moved from one rim to the other.

Pics, we want pics :tup:
    i got the yokohama prada x, i don't think those are directional? didn't thought out the whole tire rotation thing through before getting the tires lol.

good to know my spare isn't useless yet:tongue (2):

pics are coming. my car is so dirty right now and my rims are ridiculously shiny lol. I'm now seriously thinking about color matching all the silver parts on the car

EDIT: great they are directional... there goes my hope of rotating my own tires. How often should i have a shop rotate for me left and right than?
    Last edited by threezero; 10-30-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Ride
    2003 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Parada Spec-X are directional.

RiSC
    GTAFX
    Name
    Wayne
    Ride
    2010 FX50S
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Quote Originally Posted by threezero View Post
    i got the yokohama prada x, i don't think those are directional? didn't thought out the whole tire rotation thing through before getting the tires lol.

good to know my spare isn't useless yet:tongue (2):

pics are coming. my car is so dirty right now and my rims are ridiculously shiny lol. I'm now seriously thinking about color matching all the silver parts on the car
    Randy, the Parada Spec X is a directional tire. So you would have to flip them on the rims if you want to rotate side to side.

RiSC
    604FX
    Ride
    2009 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    man that sucks.

the shop that mounted my wheels today nick my wheels alittle already. seems like the gtr rims have very fragile paint... i would hate to have to get them dismount and remounted all the time.

How about if i never rotate them and just wait til either the front or the back to wore out and than replace as a pair?

RiSC
    GTAFX
    Name
    Wayne
    Ride
    2010 FX50S
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    I would just leave them as long as they are wearing alright.
    I always get an alignment when I get new tires, just to make sure all is well and they wear properly.

RiSC
    TSFX
    Ride
    2008 FX45
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Anyone with a 50S want to confirm that their spare is the same as the 35? I want to know if I need to get a new spare with my BBK. I've been too lazy to check my own. :tongue (2):

Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    yeah dude, don't rotate, no problem. it's way more cost effective to just run them where they are until there worn. keep an eye on wear & keep psi good & your fine... if you see that you start wearing the outside of the treads more than the rest then add -0.5deg caster on your next alignment, that would mean you're an aggressive driver & push hard through the turns.

rotating is over rated, properly aligned & inflated can live fine without rotating, rotating mainly benefits cars with bad alignment & incorrect toe

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

& rich, yeah, our spare will no longer clear the front brakes, but it'll fit on the rear still... if you ever got a flat on the front then you'll have to jack up the rear, put the spare on the rear, then take the good tire you just removed from the rear & install that on the front in place of the flat tire. I can't even do that though with my rear wheels:confused.:

RiSC
    604FX
    Ride
    2009 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    ^ thanks :)

going to look up a somewhere local to do the alignment once i break in the new tires

i've never actually gotten an alignment for any of my cars. How do i know when an alignment is due?

Ride
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    depends, I'd say every 25k miles or so and any time a suspension component is disassembled or replaced

RiSC
    604FX
    Ride
    2009 FX35 AWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    so the the oem spare tire wrench no longer works with the key for my lug nuts. is there replacements i can buy that will fit the hex key? is there a specific name for the spare tire wrench? don't know my tools

RiSC
    GTAFX
    Name
    Wayne
    Ride
    2010 FX50S
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    Are you talking about the wheel nut wrench?
    If you are, just go to your local Canadian Tire and buy a deep 1/2" drive 6 point deep socket that fits your wheel nuts. Also get a 1/2" drive breaker bar for the socket.

Ride
    2011 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    My 50S has 21" wheels so the spare is also a 21". I dont think that it can be the same as a 35 spare as the 35's dont come with 21" wheels?

RiSC
    SCiS
    Ride
    2009 FX35 RWD
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received: 
    It's not the wheel size that matters. Calculate the overall diameter. If they are the same or relatively close, it'll be fine.